2016 Radiator needs replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demon340v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How was the fitment on the cold case radiator? How are the welds? I'm seriously considering this rad but it's almost $500 and I'd like to be sure it's a quality unit.
It dropped in great. I don’t recall having to move anything out of the way or bend anything into or out of shape to work.

It is a quality unit. I’ve had it for 2 years now and even with Texas being stupid hot this year no issues and it’s holding up.

I know some other brand makes a all aluminum radiator but I opted for this one since it’s American made. If I remember I will look for my install pictures .

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How was the fitment on the cold case radiator? How are the welds? I'm seriously considering this rad but it's almost $500 and I'd like to be sure it's a quality unit.
I didn't realize the cold case radiator was previously mentioned.

I've had one sitting in a box for over a year. First one arrived with a crack in it. The welds were crap too. The replacement arrived with phenomenal welds. So if the first one is crap, inspect thoroughly for damage to get a free replacement.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't realize the cold case radiator was previously mentioned.

I've had one sitting in a box for over a year. First one arrived with a crack in it. The welds were crap too. The replacement arrived with phenomenal welds. So if the first one is crap, inspect thoroughly for damage to get a free replacement.
Wow ok that's pretty disappointing ona $500 radiator. I wish Mishimoto would make one for our trucks.

If you search for Cold Case on YouTube there's a few videos of them having spotty quality. It's like it depends on who makes it and what day.

Idk a Mopar rad is around $300, wonder if it's just worth going that route. I just hate the idea of plastic tanks in general...

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Idk a Mopar rad is around $300, wonder if it's just worth going that route. I just hate the idea of plastic tanks in general..
Fit and finish the Mopar radiator is still the way to go, after market has a tough time trying to produce them.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow ok that's pretty disappointing ona $500 radiator. I wish Mishimoto would make one for our trucks.

If you search for Cold Case on YouTube there's a few videos of them having spotty quality. It's like it depends on who makes it and what day.

Idk a Mopar rad is around $300, wonder if it's just worth going that route. I just hate the idea of plastic tanks in general...
I have done a lot of radiators on Chevrolets. They are all made with the plastic tanks on the side of the aluminum radiator fins. The plastic is usually what fails. The heat cycles kill the rubber seal between the plastic tanks or the plastic just gives up the ghost and cracks. Mopar may be different because it doesn't use the DexCool coolant which has had a known plasticizer in it.

Last edited:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too bad about the Cold Case rad quality being spotty.

Our Wrangler rad has been leaking a little at the seams between the plastic tank and the core for ages.

I am going to have to replace it soon and I would like to find a quality aftermarket rad without the crappy plastic tanks.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Too bad about the Cold Case rad quality being spotty.

Our Wrangler rad has been leaking a little at the seams between the plastic tank and the core for ages.

I am going to have to replace it soon and I would like to find a quality aftermarket rad without the crappy plastic tanks.
This may be a no go, but lot's of higher level reviews and cost is not bad for aluminum. I've NOT bought/used one of these - but own a JK(for now) so thought I would share from Amazon Or Mishimoto on Amazon Link

RamOwnerRich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I put a Cold Case (product of China) in my 2016 Ram V6 last year. It now leaks at the core tank interface. There is also a problem with a bracket on the driver's side that was off by about 1/8 inch. Something you may not notice when comparing against the OEM radiator. I also suspect that the brackets on the radiator that the fan housing bolts to may be too far forward and the fan housing may be may have been rubbing against the core/tank interface. I have been talking to Griffin. Griffin radiators are made in South Carolina. I have a Griffin in my Jeep for at least ten years without an issue. For the RAM, at first conversation with Griffin it may have to be custom. I think that means I get the core/tank assembly without brackets. I have talked to an aluminum metal working shop that can weld on the brackets so I don't see a problem there. The issue that I have to resolve is the coolant. Mopar uses the "red" coolant which gives the aluminum radiator folks some concern. The color really doesn't specify what it is, and that is part of the problem. RAM appears to use OAT regardless of the color. The V6 in the RAM has aluminum heads and block. So the concern does not make sense. However, I did find some information on the "red matter" that indicates some issues if the coolant system contained air. I do not see how there will not be some air content as it will be absorbed in the overflow tank. I would appreciate any input on the coolant "issue" with aluminum radiators.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca