2016 Radiator needs replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug5656

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3 months ago I bought my 2016 1500 Laramie (5.7 Hemi) with a little over 84k miles. It was impeccably clean, appeared well cared for. Now, 3 months later just at 88k I get a coolant leak. Dealer says radiator is cracked (on a seam) and needs to be replaced at a THOUSAND DOLLARS? They also said they should do a coolant flush-thinking that is some of the 1000 cost? This just seems REALLY HIGH a cost to me? I know everything is more expensive these days but is this a fair price in NJ?

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Radiator is probably $300, couple hours of labor at $200+, plus a couple gallons of their coolant at $45 each...I'm lowballing a little but you're in the $1k ballpark. You could have an independent shop quote it for you and I'm certain it'll be cheaper.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
...or bust out some wrenches and order a replacement from somewhere like RockAuto and do it yourself.

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for RockAuto or receive anything for mentioning them.

Demon340v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I replaced my radiator in my 2015 2 years ago. Mine was not cracked but my water pump pulley was failing. So I said when in Rome!

I ditched factory and went with a Cold Case Radiator. It took me about 2 hours of taking my time to swap it. I can say in the Texas Heat it does it’s job.

Side note: I went to a 190 thermostat as well since I swapped the water pump and I ditched the clutch fan and did the V6 fan swap.

But yes look for a new shop or buy the radiator and drop it in.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
First Drive to a Radiator Shop

Request that they look at it & get an estimate

They may say that it needs cleaning out & fix the leaks

If it can't be fixed, it may not need tanks, they can buy a brand new core & solder your old tanks onto the new core.

Otherwise, as mentioned, RockAuto & DIY
Replacing the water pump is a option, if the truck has been taken care of, the water pump could last until 150,000 miles ?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
First Drive to a Radiator Shop

Request that they look at it & get an estimate

They may say that it needs cleaning out & fix the leaks

If it can't be fixed, it may not need tanks, they can buy a brand new core & solder your old tanks onto the new core.

Otherwise, as mentioned, RockAuto & DIY
Replacing the water pump is a option, if the truck has been taken care of, the water pump could last until 150,000 miles ?
Plastic tanks on the rads these days,not like the old style rads with copper end tanks.

OP
OP
Doug5656

Doug5656

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just as an update. After talking to the dealership about the cost; I was informed on 2016 Rams (mines a Laramie) that the AC system needs to be drained and as a result, obviously, requires a recharge as well? At least on my truck. He said not all need this but by inputting the Vin the system requirements for a radiator swap come up. I did do some comparing and research and it could be as much as $1600 around here. While I might have been able to handle a radiator swap I surely dont have what Id need to do all that to the AC system. Let alone know a damn thing about the system. Someday Id like to learn but this isnt a time for me to f around with my truck trying to learn things. Very much need it running and running right. Thank you all for the responses and suggestions, I very much appreciate every one of em.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just as an update. After talking to the dealership about the cost; I was informed on 2016 Rams (mines a Laramie) that the AC system needs to be drained and as a result, obviously, requires a recharge as well? At least on my truck. He said not all need this but by inputting the Vin the system requirements for a radiator swap come up. I did do some comparing and research and it could be as much as $1600 around here. While I might have been able to handle a radiator swap I surely dont have what Id need to do all that to the AC system. Let alone know a damn thing about the system. Someday Id like to learn but this isnt a time for me to f around with my truck trying to learn things. Very much need it running and running right. Thank you all for the responses and suggestions, I very much appreciate every one of em.

Watch this. He replaces it in about 27 minutes. No A/C lines opened. Of course, during that time he doesn't have to search for the correct wrench or pop a top on a Shiner, but you get the point.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Be willing to bet that the extra charges pertaining to the A/C system are there in case the guy replacing it isn't the brightest out there and blows the charge while gorilla'ing the A/C condenser away from the radiator. Then they have the extra costs covered. If he does it without damaging A/C then the extra charge goes to their bottom line as a freebee.

ATNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced mine approx. 4 weeks ago. Took about 2 hrs. No A/C lines disconnected. 2015 Laramie/Longorn. Bought it from allmoparparts.com. $300.00 plus shipping.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced my radiator in my 2015 2 years ago. Mine was not cracked but my water pump pulley was failing. So I said when in Rome!

I ditched factory and went with a Cold Case Radiator. It took me about 2 hours of taking my time to swap it. I can say in the Texas Heat it does it’s job.

Side note: I went to a 190 thermostat as well since I swapped the water pump and I ditched the clutch fan and did the V6 fan swap.

But yes look for a new shop or buy the radiator and drop it in.
How was the fitment on the cold case radiator? How are the welds? I'm seriously considering this rad but it's almost $500 and I'd like to be sure it's a quality unit.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Like all are saying here...find another shop & you don't have to break into the A/C - if you aren't a DIY.

Like the video above shows, not a hard job for a DIY'r. If it were me, I'd go all aluminum for ~half of what the shop is quoting you and call it day. Save some $$, have a better part/solution, and you know it's done right. But that's just me. :)

Dalt10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I changed my radiator out a few months ago. The AC lines are bolted to the radiator on the passenger side. You can unbolt them without draining the Freon. Two bolts are a pain to get to, to unbolt the AC lines but doable. I paid under $300 for my radiator. Did it in about 2 hours.