My letter to Mopar regarding discontinued ABS module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Default operation for ABS failure does not affect basic braking. I.E. your brakes will operate to stop your vehicle.

How many owners are certain when or if their ABS had failed ?
I agree with ya, I can say in my 2006 that from the time I bought it new in 2006 until I sold in in 2021, no matter how hard I hit the brakes the ABS only worked a few times and the times it did I was on compact snow & ice roads...

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In reply to your comment “this is what everyone that own older vehicles deal with” we own a 2018 that has less that 30,000 miles and has been repaired twice already. The replacement part is defective and unavailable until Feb-March 2024.
Maybe cars these days are pre-aged.... Nah, they use recy
I agree with ya, I can say in my 2006 that from the time I bought it new in 2006 until I sold in in 2021, no matter how hard I hit the brakes the ABS only worked a few times and the times it did I was on compact snow & ice roads...
I owned a 1993 GMC Suburban SLE with 4WAL Kelsey-Hayes system ABS. I bought it in 1996 with about 90,000 miles on it for my wife to drive. Over time, she would complain that the brakes "acted funny" sometimes as she came to normal stops at a red light, for instance.
Naturally, since it never did it when I drove it, I shrugged it off as maybe an issue with road conditions.
That is, until, in February, 1998, I was driving it on a 2 lane black top road on one of those days of misty drizzle rain and tried to slow down/ stop behind an F-250 who was stopped with his signal on to turn left across traffic. I hit the brakes and found out what "acted funny" meant as the ABS engaged when it SHOULD not have. This added just enough distance to my stop that I rear-ended the Ford.

The damage to the Ford, due to an under chassis receiver hitch with the receiver/ball in place, His damage was just a scratched chrome rear bumper and a minor tailgate dent. My suburban lost the front fascia, and the A/C condenser and radiator were impaled. Needless to say, he drove away after info was exchanged, and my Suburban was towed to the body shop!

Sometime later, I noticed that the brake linings needed attention during oil change service. When I pulled the rear drums off, I found a seeping wheel cylinder on the passenger rear brake. The shoes were wet, and VOILA!, there was my "acting funny" AHA moment. After repairing the brakes with hydraulic repair and system bleed, the "acting funny" issue was gone! In a strange twist of irony, a tornado deposited a tree down the center of the roof of this vehicle in the same fashion that Tim Allen (Taylor) had dropped the steel beam onto Jill's 1955 Nomad wagon, thus totaling it out!