2016 Ram 2500 Code P0871

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davids442

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good evening, I'm a newbie and this is my first. I've own a number of Ram pickups through the years and they have always treated me well, until the current one lol. Here's the issue.

It's a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 liter and 6 speed 66RFE transmission. Back in March, I started experiencing shifting problems and it popped a code for the P0871, circuit C, involving the transmission fluid pressure. I took it to a local Ram dealer and was informed that the solenoid pack in this transmission was replaced twice before under recall and that they would install a new one under warranty, because that code points directly to that solenoid pack. So the truck did fine for close to 5 months until two weeks ago. I had taken off from a stop sign and felt a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. I plugged in my scanner and the P0871 code was back but as a pending code. After a few days, the code had disappeared. A week later, another hard shift and it was back as pending. I went back to a dealer and was told that there would have to be a hard code with the engine light on for them to honor another warranty replacement of the solenoid pack. So after I drove it around for a half hour, it popped up again as pending and I hit the dealer and they plugged their computer into the truck and confirmed the pending code. They replaced the solenoid pack under warranty. When I picked up the truck at the dealer, they said that 3 of the 6 clutch packs were out of spec and that I needed a new tranny and maybe I should trade it in. Thing is, they didn't have any of that diagnostic info on the paperwork that I received, only the warranty replacement of the solenoid pack. I left the dealer, within 15 miles of the dealership, felt the hard shift and the code was back as pending. After a few days, it was gone. A week or so later, I was driving around and I turned the AC on, which I very rarely use and within 10 minutes, the hard shift and the code pending. Really not sure if the AC being turned on is related but just including that. The engine light turned back on last night for that same code and I cleared it this morning, and it's back to shifting normally. I have spoken to a real professional who runs a transmission shop locally and he's been a world of information. He mentioned that the solenoid packs are garbage and a know Chrysler issue and that he has installed them where they are bad right out of the box. He also mentioned that if there were any problems with the clutch packs, that I would be getting more codes that would point in that direction but it's only the one code.

I'm thinking if the tranny had interior problems with 3 of the clutch packs, it would have repeated shifting problems but it seems far more intermittent than that. I've read so much info online that my head is spinning lol. Perhaps the transmission fluid pressure sensor mounted on the rear of the tranny, the valve body perhaps. I've been told that the code points to the overdrive solenoid in the valve body. Just interested in hearing other people's thoughts. Thank you

DizzyFranco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Broo that sounds like hell... any updates? Im having a similar prob. Mine goes into limp mode aftp

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
if you drive it much after it goes into Limp Mode, there is a very good chance of hurting the transmission.

It seems that both the 66RFE & the 68RFE have the same p0871 code quite often.

There are a few videos about the code, but the repairs are shown in the videos about 68RFE

the videos

2nd Amendment

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 Ram 2500 6.7 had P0871 code come up a coworker erased the code and now I need the code so the mechanic can give me a symptom and repair recommendation. Has this code ever been just a glitch, I can't get the damn code to pop up again been driving for a few weeks now and NO code. Driving and shifting normal.