2017 Ram 1500 5.7L - Canuck Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Hey guys!

So rewind back to the summer of 2017, I picked up a brand new 2017 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 after owning 30+ vehicles. I was 25 at the time and always drove beaters for the winter or a generic daily drivers while I saved my S2000 for the summer weekend. I've always wanted a truck for a DD and when I got the deal that I did I couldn't say no. Ultimately I wanted a 2500 for solid axles, re-gearing ability and being able to run 37's or 38's with no problems, but for now this truck is great! :)

Delivery day:

1625090390785.png

A couple days later, I found a set of brand new Rebel wheels that I tossed on. I was going to paint them black, but I decided to leave them as-is to see how I liked it. Ultimately I wanted a set of Method wheels, but this was miles better than the stockers!

1625090433399.png

Following this I started piecing together my "all black" conversion. I started with an OEM grille and upper bumper facia. I also ended up buying black housing quad lights too.

1625090485494.png

Fast forward a little more, and I completed the full black out appearance with some new painted bumpers and had the front windows tinted to match the rear. I also ditched the Quad headlights in favour for Sport Projector headlights and matching tail lights. After I installing Bilstein leveling shocks, I ordered some Method NV305 in 17x8.5 +0 along with 35x12.5x17 BFG KO2. So far this is the final phase of the truck. I'd like to make the jump to 37's but with only having 3.55's I don't want to turn the truck into a complete dog.

Been also thinking about switching to Bronze 305's... thoughts?

1625090707956.png

1625090730045.png

MickeyGreene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, that’s quite the transformation from delivery day - truck looks awesome!! Well done.

j-b

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow that looks good! I think the all black looks fantastic.

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Thanks guys!!

Yeah part of me loves the black on black look, yet sometimes I want that pop from the bronze wheels.

Dylan Campbell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys!!

Yeah part of me loves the black on black look, yet sometimes I want that pop from the bronze wheels.

Truck looks incredible! I have the all black look at the moment too, and I catch myself looking at bronze wheels weekly - ha.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats awesome! I did the exact same thing with mine. I think bronze wheels would look good on it.

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Truck looks incredible! I have the all black look at the moment too, and I catch myself looking at bronze wheels weekly - ha.
Thanks my dude!

Thats awesome! I did the exact same thing with mine. I think bronze wheels would look good on it.
It's nice being able to get a fully optioned/complete truck from the lot, but half the fun is doing it yourself!

Do you still have the AirDam on the bottom?
Good eye! Yes it's still there, but I cut it to match the profile of the bumper. I can get more pictures if you're interested.

2ndRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks my dude!

It's nice being able to get a fully optioned/complete truck from the lot, but half the fun is doing it yourself!

Good eye! Yes it's still there, but I cut it to match the profile of the bumper. I can get more pictures if you're interested.
Yeah sure, I actually couldn't see it haha.

I don't like how it looks on my truck, I was contemplating removing it.

I just bought a new Tradesman and the bumper is the 2 piece like yours. Last week I wasn't sure if I was gonna convert it to a 1 piece or not. I was trying to imagine the 2 piece painted, I was on the fence though to gamble with paint money and end up not liking it.

Then I found your post and I feel really confident about painting it now. Your truck looks really nice man.

If only I could find the lower bumper with fog light holes cut out, where they are supposed to be.

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Yeah I was in the same boat, I wanted to convert to a 1 piece bumper but honestly I decided to keep it as-is.

I keep forgetting to get more photos for you of how it's trimmed. I'll try to remember this week.

2ndRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you keep the AirDam unpainted or did u paint that also?

Jayc71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel & 6.2L Supercharged Hemi
Very nice!!

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Went out and did some (light) wheeling for fun this weekend in the spot I grew up riding dirtbikes and ATVs. Living in Canada we don't really have crazy cool wheeling places to go. Put the truck through some mild paces and had a good time.

Currently I'm riding on BFG KO2's - with the itch to try a Toyo RT or similar - but with the amount of snow we get I'm hesitant to go outside of a 3PMSF tire.

IMG-0576.jpg

IMG-0601.jpg

FD0-F82-B0-090-D-47-D9-AA04-87-F1028-E9-B84-2.jpg

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Ended up ordering a fresh set of BFG KO2 in 35x12.5x17 again. I want to try something like the Toyo RT or MT just because they are badass looking tire, but being in Canada where it snows for 6 months of the year I can take the risk of using hockey puck tires like that. The KO2's are awesome though, the have low Road Force balance and don't take much weight.

It was a slow day today at my shop, so I installed the tires and put them on in the parking lot LOL too lazy to drive it into the shop.

D6104221-6-C0-A-4667-ADA4-C4-F99-F77-A291.jpg

F0362598-5-A67-4-F8-D-BD6-B-52-DE28-F502-F1.jpg

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I also purchased a JLT oil catch can for the PCV system, and deleted the vent tube for the air intake which now vents to atmosphere. I didn't think this would help much, but it accumulates quite a lot of oil in a short period of time. I'm impressed with it, and it's piece of mind knowing my intake manifold isn't going to be gunked up with oil sludge in the long run.

AFBEC4-C8-56-A7-48-DB-A62-C-A73524-BA0-BF3.jpg

76-AF90-C2-81-A4-4-D8-A-A6-AD-5255-F437-A5-EE.jpg

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
And last but not least, I ended up getting the front bumper and upper facia piece repainted since they were pretty beat up with stone chips and dings. I know "it's a truck" but my habits from my previous import/muscle collections don't run away LOL. After they were repainted I had friend of mine install PPF on the parts to further prevent anymore stone chips from turning my front bumper into a colander.

Full shot from todays coffee cruise with the wife.

FA2-E26-C8-ADDD-42-A6-B14-D-E565546-E22-D7.jpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
KO2 is a great choice! I have the Toyos you debated and I love them. Not sure on snow or ice. I will see this winter if we get any how they do. The SRA's were awful in the ice and snow last year.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Cant beat the murdered out look. When it comes to snow, and we're talking real snow and winter driving it's a good call to avoid non 3PMS rated tires. I had toyo mts on a diesel and here in the North East they were terrible. Now these new Toyo At3 are amazing, though boring looking. Sometimes the logical choice isn't always the coolest lol.

OP
OP
fernandok

fernandok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Cant beat the murdered out look. When it comes to snow, and we're talking real snow and winter driving it's a good call to avoid non 3PMS rated tires. I had toyo mts on a diesel and here in the North East they were terrible. Now these new Toyo At3 are amazing, though boring looking. Sometimes the logical choice isn't always the coolest lol.
Thanks man! Yeah and funny enough that not all 3PMS tires are the same in the snow. You mention you like the AT3's in the snow, I personally found those the worse out of the group! My favourites in the snow thus far are the BFG KO2, General Grabber ATX and the Falken Wildpeak AT3w.

But I totally agree! I wish AT tires had awesome sidewalls. Lol

KO2 is a great choice! I have the Toyos you debated and I love them. Not sure on snow or ice. I will see this winter if we get any how they do. The SRA's were awful in the ice and snow last year.
Cheers! Let me know how you handle the snow with the RTs vs your old SRA's.