2017 Ram 1500 road noise/feel question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColtEOD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey all,

I am pretty new to ram forum but i have a 2017 ram 1500 SLT with 50k miles. Yes, i do a lot of highway driving. Just a little background on the truck, i purchased it in California, it has been in Illinois and I now live in Lousiana. It has never seen snow or salt. I say this because that might have been a factor in my question.

As far as suspension goes, everything is stock OEM except for the struts and shocks. I recently put Bilstein 5100 series front adjustable struts and 5100 series rear shocks. For those of you that are familiar with the Bilstein shocks, i have them set to the 1.4" adjustment. I heard of people having issues with them at the 2.1" but mostly the 2.8" settings.

Engine wise, nothing major. I just have a K&N cold air intake and a Magnaflow cat back exhaust. I now wish i would have purchased the S&B because it looks much better but the K&N does its job.

Here's my question for you 1500 owners. Before and after I installed the Bilstein shocks/struts, it seems like i feel a lot of the road imperfections both in the floor board and in the steering wheel. I used to have a weird vibration at highway speeds but after adding the bilsteins, that went away. Suspension wise, the truck is amazing after installing them. It just seems to me that the road isn't being dampened all that well, if that makes sense.

Now if any of you have ever driven in Lousiana, the roads aren't much better than most old wooden rollercoasters. The soft ground here makes it incredibly rough but i have noticed it on all different types of roads. I currently have regular stock size street tires and rims that sit around 40psi. Is this just how this truck drives? Tires that aren't so great? Or is something like the steering wheel intermediate shaft to blame? I also get the pretty common shakey brake pedal but i believe that is a separate issue due to poor engineering.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks again for a great go-to resource.

- Colton

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With 40 PSI in the stock tires its going to ride a little stiff and you will definitely feel more imperfections in the road. I run 37 PSI in the stock Goodyears and they seem to ride pretty well for the most part. I also notice that the truck does ride stiffer in the cold weather. I would highly recommend a set of Michelin defenders when they need replacing.

OP
OP
ColtEOD

ColtEOD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
With 40 PSI in the stock tires its going to ride a little stiff and you will definitely feel more imperfections in the road. I run 37 PSI in the stock Goodyears and they seem to ride pretty well for the most part. I also notice that the truck does ride stiffer in the cold weather. I would highly recommend a set of Michelin defenders when they need replacing.

I guess I just always trusted the sidewall/door panel in regards to tire pressure. I will try running them around 37 for a while and see what that does and hope the dealer or firestone does not change them

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Bilsteins run stiffer. Most likely your issue is a combination of tire pressure and stiffer shocks.

OP
OP
ColtEOD

ColtEOD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Bilsteins run stiffer. Most likely your issue is a combination of tire pressure and stiffer shocks.
It did it before with stock shocks. I will try to lower my PSI

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
17" or 20" wheels?

IMO, the 17's soak up more imperfections and noise having more sidewall, etc.

OP
OP
ColtEOD

ColtEOD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
17" or 20" wheels?

IMO, the 17's soak up more imperfections and noise having more sidewall, etc.
Stock ram 17's. Soak up meaning hide it better from the inside of the truck or make it stand out more?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Stock ram 17's. Soak up meaning hide it better from the inside of the truck or make it stand out more?

To me, the sponginess of (non load rated) 17s insulate the truck from the road more than 20" wheels.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

It should ride better with 17"s since they have more sidewall than the 20's do. Now that you mention that you don’t have 20's even 37 might be too much. I always ran 35psi in Street tires than were 17s.

OP
OP
ColtEOD

ColtEOD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I will play around with the air pressure and see what i can come up with. Running 5psi below what the sidewall says wont wear the tires down abnornally fast?

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Tire pressure was the key to me. 37psi helps and avoids changes due to temp and low pressure light. I do feel more of the cracks and imperfections in the road almost like I at time am riding on edge of tire. Alignment is right on (within spec) or as best it can be given limited adjustments.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oddly enough I just brought my tires up to the door sill psi (39 for my 20" Goodyears) and today my son asked why the road is so bumpy all of a sudden.

When I get a chance Ill drop them down to 36 or 37 and see if that helps.

Its also been colder here than its been since last winter, Im sure the Goodyears are even worse in the cold than normal temps.