2017 RAM BH, blown engine at 27K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Well....it happened to me.

I'll begin with stating that I've never been pleased with the performance of my 2017. I have a feeling its because of the EPA tune that came force fed on mine, but the thing has always been a dog and musters a pathetic 19, maybe 20 mpg at best. I have never seen the MPG #'s 2014-16 owners are seeing.

Either way, I pay VERY close attention to my truck, always have. My oil changes have been done at the purchasing dealership, I have no mods on the truck of any kind. I've noted that the truck has been smelling "hot" lately, like burnt metal...but I saw no dip in MPG of the typical lackluster performance. One morning it was knocking loudly for a bit, but I wrote that off to it being below zero outside.

Driving home Fri night, temps in the mid 30's, the truck began knocking...then louder and then louder. Driving along, I immediately turned it to the engine stat display. Coolant temp was the typical 208-210F, but the oil temp spiked in the low 230's, something I've never seen before. Oil PSI was decent, typical 30 range driving along.

I limped it 5-7 miles to the dealership, the thing was struggling to stay in the 55 mph zone (the speed limit on the road I was on). Buy the time I got it to the dealership, the thing sounded like a metal garbage can full of marbles. I pulled into the service bay, they already knew what was going on. They gave me a loaner and told me they'd be in contact with me. I personally know the sales manager and his 2017 Eco dumped guts at just over 25K miles...he forced FCA to do a buy back. He claimed he's going to do the same for me, I guess we'll see.

OP
OP
T

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Hmm...no replies to this one.

Well...here's the "official" followup.

In the report, it was listed as having suffered from a rode bearing failure. They were listed as having "excessive wear". They went ahead and replaced the engine with a new long block. I got it back 3-31. While it's running ok, it's still just as "laggy" as my original engine and is getting around 18 mpg combined driving, which is actually worse than the other one.

The only thing of note is that engine is significantly louder than the other one. It seems to chatter and clang much more than it did before, which is weird.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be interested to know what oil they were putting in it at the dealer.

I thought they changed the oil spec on the EcoD to 5w-40 to prevent issues like this.....hope the dealer was following that!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963