2018 Laramie vs. 2019 Tradesman--which do you like and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
I'm looking closely at 2 Rams right now. I haven't owned a newer Ram, so I appreciate feedback from this community. #1 is an '18 Laramie shortbox w/ 65K miles for $45K. The other is a '19 Tradesman long bed with 27k miles for $42. Both are white and sold by dealers. Both are very clean. Links to the window stickers below if you want to read and point out important details.

Here are few things bouncing between my ears:

- I prefer short beds for the maneuverability, but the 8 speed transmission on the '19 is a huge plus.
- Both have clean carfaxes--they are both single owner. The '18 has minor damage on the report, but I can't see any evidence of repair and I plan to have a body shop look it over.
- Looks like the '19 has a 4.10 axle. Will that larger rear end offset mpg gains from the 8 speed, or will the difference be negligible?
- It will not be a daily driver.

Hit me with any comments or questions. Thanks!

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The VIN for the 18 goes to TrueCar in CA which says unavailable, is that where you're looking?

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know I'd go for the '19; it seems well equipped for a tradesman. The luxury features are not that big a deal other than I'd miss heated seat and wheel which the Laramie has. Otherwise, the tradesman has blind spot monitors, rear cross path, and other good safety features you couldn't get in 18 along with the 8-speed transmission. The lower miles is great as well.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks. Which features of Rams do you appreciate the most?
If you plan on towing or loading the box fairly heavy with the truck,you can't beat the 8 speed.You can add most interior options and program them with AlphaOBD,but you can't roll the milege back legally,and swapping in the 8 speed heavy duty transmission is gonna set you back a big chunk of change

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The heated/cooled seats (my wife's Durango has the memory seats they will blow your mind for dual drivers), auto temp control, and the Sport appearance package makes the whole truck look so much more modern/clean.

OP
OP
D

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
If you plan on towing or loading the box fairly heavy with the truck,you can't beat the 8 speed.You can add most interior options and program them with AlphaOBD,but you can't roll the milege back legally,and swapping in the 8 speed heavy duty transmission is gonna set you back a big chunk of change
Great points. I'll tow a 5500lb travel trailer mostly. Thank you!

OP
OP
D

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
I know I'd go for the '19; it seems well equipped for a tradesman. The luxury features are not that big a deal other than I'd miss heated seat and wheel which the Laramie has. Otherwise, the tradesman has blind spot monitors, rear cross path, and other good safety features you couldn't get in 18 along with the 8-speed transmission. The lower miles is great as well.
That helps, thanks. I don't understand how Ram adds packages or features, so I wasn't sure how loaded the '19 was, but the cameras and blind spot sensors seemed like it wasn't usually found on your average Tradesman.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That helps, thanks. I don't understand how Ram adds packages or features, so I wasn't sure how loaded the '19 was, but the cameras and blind spot sensors seemed like it wasn't usually found on your average Tradesman.
The blind spot, cross path, and surround view camera weren't available at all in 2018 just like the 8 speed wasn't either(on 2500). The truck isn't loaded, but it has some key features for sure that will probably come in handy. The 8.4" Uconnect is another nice upgrade vs "base" (the Laramie has it as well though).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Great points. I'll tow a 5500lb travel trailer mostly. Thank you!
If you're plans are to use it to tow a trailer,hands down you'll want the 8 speed equipped truck.It's hard to beat the 8 speeds stump pulling first gear when you're trying to get a load moving,and the closer gear spread makes towing alot better when you hit a hill

OP
OP
D

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
Buy the tradesman and use part of the savings to pay for adding heated and cooled seats. If those matter.

It’s all been said, but that truck is a great tow rig. Eight speed and 4.10 FTW.
Yes, they matter, but the truck prob won't get driven much in the cold months. Great idea about using savings toward aftermarket items.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you like doing the transmissions job for it downshifting with the gear selector buttons before a hill or patiently waiting while pushing the gas pedal further and further and after what seems like an eternity going up a hill and losing a lot speed the thing finally downshifts and takes off then go with the 2018 6 speed with 3.73 gears. And if you like that you'll love cruising around town with the trans lugging the crap out of the motor. Most of the time if the speed limit is 55 or less I'm in tow haul mode or using the gear selector. If I don't the trans tries keeping the motor as close to 1k rpm as possible and when you want to speed back up well youre back to doing it yourself or play the waiting game again. I have the 6 speed and 3.73s. I dont like auto transmissions to begin with and this pairing confirms my hatred for them.

My vote is for the 8 speed.

OP
OP
D

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
If you like doing the transmissions job for it downshifting with the gear selector buttons before a hill or patiently waiting while pushing the gas pedal further and further and after what seems like an eternity going up a hill and losing a lot speed the thing finally downshifts and takes off then go with the 2018 6 speed with 3.73 gears. And if you like that you'll love cruising around town with the trans lugging the crap out of the motor. Most of the time if the speed limit is 55 or less I'm in tow haul mode or using the gear selector. If I don't the trans tries keeping the motor as close to 1k rpm as possible and when you want to speed back up well youre back to doing it yourself or play the waiting game again. I have the 6 speed and 3.73s. I dont like auto transmissions to begin with and this pairing confirms my hatred for them.

My vote is for the 8 speed.
Thank you and sorry for raising your blood pressure.... :)

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also the 8.4 uconnect in the 2018's had a LOT of screen delamination issues so that's another reason to go with the 19.