2018 RAM 1500: ABS light, traction control light NIGHTMARE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke Janssen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hello,

I'd like to tell a story and look for a resolution from RAM Cares. I have been a loyal RAM/Chrysler buyer for years. I currently own a 2018 RAM 1500 and 2018 Chrysler Pacifica.
I'm not sure that I will ever buy MOPAR again.

The '18 RAM has had an ongoing issue for the last 3 months. The ABS light, traction control light, and service electronic brake system warning lights have been illuminated on and off for the last 10K-15K miles. When the issue originally came about I immediately went to my local RAM dealer and had the code read. The code called for a new right front wheel speed sensor. That's where the nightmare begins.

The OEM wheel speed sensors were on back order so I had to use a napa branded alternative. After swapping that sensor out the light came right back on. The dealership then said it must be a bad sensor so we replaced it with yet another napa branded alternative. Same issue. They then recommended a ABS module ($500). After replacement, same issue.
They then recommended an OEM sensor, after waiting for the sensor to come in from back order, it was installed. Same issue. The dealership then finally decided that they needed to rewire so they rewired the right front and left sensors. Knock on wood, that seems to have fixed it. However, not before I have already dropped $700+ on parts and service for a SAFTEY RELATED ISSUE.

RAM should address this issue with a formal recall and service bulletin. I know I am not alone in this issue as there are multiple forums stating the same.

Side note: today the touch screen began to delaminate, which I see seems to be another common isssue. RAM Cares, please show that you care about a loyal customer's business.

Sincerely,
Luke

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will say that throwing random parts on a vehicle is a sign that not even basic diagnostics were performed, and therefore the issue is that the dealership did a crappy job. I would have demanded that you be reimbursed for all of the parts that weren't the problem.

Murdock188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks big time, I assume you are over the mileage warranty?

OP
OP
L

Luke Janssen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
56k miles.
When the issue first started I did a lot of research via this forum and others. It seems to be a wide spread problem. So many people have similar stories of trying multiple fixes before eventually finding out that the wiring is bad. I recommended they check the wiring first but was told repeatedly that the wiring was fine. Until it wasn’t.....

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What exactly would they issue a recall for? A recall needs to be addressed to a specific issue. Looks like it was just a wiring issue that they decided to just throw parts at instead of diagnosing it properly, then finally found a “wiring” problem.

I’ve seen a few wiring issues in the driver fender well due to corroded wiring, but it usually happens on vehicles that do nothing but drive in crappy conditions.

Honestly I wouldn’t hold my breath for a recall. I’ve seen a lot more common issues that have never had a recall.

Last edited:

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm having the same issue with my 2018, and Stellantis acts like it's the first they've heard of it. Five weeks in the shop now.

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I have a similar problem with my '17 3500. The dealership told me I was out of warranty, and it would cost $160 to roll it into their shop, and "we'll see where it goes from there".
Based on their ****-poor service over the multiple electrical problems I've had, I took it to an independent shop yesterday.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm assuming they hooked it up to their scanner and got the code, or could see a non-functioning wheel sensor (real time data stream)?

A real common thing that can cause the same code/symptoms is a flaky brake switch. But it can be intermittent and hard to capture real-time on a scanner. I went through that on mine but one time I saw it. I think there was a code too. I think there were multiple items that were stored in the codes. Anyway a new switch fixed it. The switches weigh like 10 grams, so not surprising they flake out. Not the place to value-engine IMO. I'm surprised they couldn't find a wheel sensor in stock somewhere, or even from, like Amazon. But I get how dealer service dept's work. You think/hope the replacement part will do the job (the first time)...