2018 RAM 2500 6.4L knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BB-Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Knocking sound noticeable during idle.
It seems to be coming from the exhaust manifold but can't quite pinpoint just by listening.
Seems more clearly heard from the front wheel well than from the top of the engine.
I've heard the exhaust manifolds warp and leak for these engines; is this true?

Not sure if this could also be a lifter issue.
Surprisingly, the vehicle only has 37k miles. I bought it new and have maintained it well.
A heavy duty truck with light duty usage... come on, this thing should be bullet-proof....

Any suggestions before I take it to the repair garage...

BMiller541

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
After 3 months, I just got my 2019 6.4L (Powerwagon) just got warranty replaced for a roller that snapped off a lifter. Mine had a LOUD whacking (the infamous ticking but much worse) noise but no power loss, and I could hear it clearly from the driver side wheel well. They also found the rest of the rollers were football shaped. I've towed a 10k lbs travel trailer around the western US a few times, otherwise when I'm daily driving, I don't abuse the truck. Not sure what happened.

It's a pretty extreme example, and hopefully yours isn't the same. Good luck