2019 1500 Classic - Make dash USB port switched instead of always on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ruggles531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I apologize if this has been covered already. I just purchased an aftermarket Android Auto box from Amazon. It comes with a cigarette adapter but I am already using the one in the dash for my dash cam. As the Android box has a USB-C connector on it I tried plugging it into the dashboard USB port (right side of dash) below the radio. It does power the device up properly but I noticed the USB outlet is always on. Is there a way to switch it to be controlled by the key (like the cigarette adapter)? I did check my manual but it isn't overly clear. I saw another post about using F90/F91 to control the outlet, but my manual says that is for the rear power outlet.

Can the dash based one be controlled?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I apologize if this has been covered already. I just purchased an aftermarket Android Auto box from Amazon. It comes with a cigarette adapter but I am already using the one in the dash for my dash cam. As the Android box has a USB-C connector on it I tried plugging it into the dashboard USB port (right side of dash) below the radio. It does power the device up properly but I noticed the USB outlet is always on. Is there a way to switch it to be controlled by the key (like the cigarette adapter)? I did check my manual but it isn't overly clear. I saw another post about using F90/F91 to control the outlet, but my manual says that is for the rear power outlet.

Can the dash based one be controlled?
Here is the F90/91 switch you are referring to...try it to see if it controls the dash outlets too (in reverse in your case).

I'd imagine you want your dashcam to run 24/7? This change might affect that if if your camera is on the same circuit.

OP
OP
R

ruggles531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually I want them both switched with ignition. I will take a look at that fuse tonight and see if it makes a difference.

OP
OP
R

ruggles531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I took a look on the weekend. I do have fuse in spot 90/91 but interestingly, I don't have a rear power outlet. I have USB power in the front armrest, along with the dash. Despite moving the fuse into either location (90/91) both the dash and armrest based USB ports are always on. They are not linked to ignition. I am wondering if I can splice into the cigarette lighter on the dash as it is controlled by ignition. I assume it would have enough current to power my dash cam and a tablet sized Android Auto box?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I took a look on the weekend. I do have fuse in spot 90/91 but interestingly, I don't have a rear power outlet. I have USB power in the front armrest, along with the dash. Despite moving the fuse into either location (90/91) both the dash and armrest based USB ports are always on. They are not linked to ignition. I am wondering if I can splice into the cigarette lighter on the dash as it is controlled by ignition. I assume it would have enough current to power my dash cam and a tablet sized Android Auto box?
That's what I tapped for my 2CH Blackvue and it's also running 2 Artic PC Fans mounted to the back of the radio as well. The fuse will blow occasionally if I also use my Slime air pump in the cigarette lighter but other than that it's rock solid.

Robert Wiley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
R

ruggles531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just realized I haven't updated this post. I ended up buying a 12VDC to USB splitter off Amazon and spliced into the switched cigarette power adaptor in the dash. I routed the cable up the back of the radio and through the top of the dash. I also bought a Bayou Goat Mount to install my Android Auto box on. Works great and I was able to hide most of the wiring.
PXL_20231021_144211711.jpgPXL_20231021_143918274.jpgPXL_20231109_192131091.jpg