2019 Buying Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jupp Mueller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey,

not owning a Power Wagon yet, but I signed up anyways because I'm considering buying one. What is a reasonable price you can negotiate for right now? Is 20% below MSRP a reasonable goal? I'm looking at some new 2019 models and I expect that dealerships would want to get rid of them at some point. There are not a ton of Power Wagons at dealerships, is that because they are in high demand or because supply is low? Any tips for me?

Some background for my use case: I currently own a 2017 Ford Expedition EL that my wife uses as a daily driver and we use on frequent weekend and longer camping trips for my family of 4. We want to switch to a more offroad capable platform because we found that we would want to reach places in Death Valley and elsewhere that we can't get to in the Ford (and the Expedition is not a vehicle with good aftermarket support to build it into a more capable rig). Nothing extreme, but plenty of safety margin for rough roads and plenty of space.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
It’s a fluid situation in car buying because of the economic mess government has made, compounded by the factory shutdowns which cut availability. I usually start with consulting Edmunds website for market value prices and then there’s others that offer the same.

Also read the manufacturers website to understand what incentives are ongoing.

When I bought mine it was straight off a dealer ad. Their advertised price was below market and cheaper than any of the value tools or dealer incentives added up to. And cheaper than other dealers in the area on comparable trucks. How they came to that price I have no idea, and didn’t care, since it was below market. It was year end and they’d had it on the lot for a few months, so they were probably cleaning house.

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 My sticker, $64,3k fully loaded PW walked out paying $52k

not bad.....

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The Power Wagon is a limited production model which affects actual supply on dealer lots. That does have an affect on what price you can actually negotiate.

So keep looking...you'll find one you like or you can order one if you wish. Production has not ramped up back to pre-Covid 19 levels but that will come.

Good luck with your search and possible purchase.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I was shopping for a PW back in the December timeframe there were only 14 new models sitting on dealer lots (2019 models, 2020 was not out yet) within a 150 mile radius of home, and that radius includes 3 larger cities and 70-some dealerships. There were only one or two dealerships that had more than one on the lot at that time. Just got on the Ram website and searched inventory and they are only showing 7 2020 models within 150 miles of me right now. I drive past two dealerships regularly (one in the town I work, and one in the town I live in) and have only seen a total of 1 PW sitting on either lot in probably two years. With that said both places usually have multiple Jeep Rubicons and new lifted Jeeps sitting there all the time so not like they don't cater to this type of vehicle. Anyway, with that said I would say that PW's have pretty low production numbers and the few that are out there are in high demand. If you want one you can find it, just don't expect to have a ton of choices close to home.

For pricing back at that time 20% off MSRP was about the average discount they were offering at that time (big promotional events to try to clear out the 2019 models).....so I would say that is a good price. However about the only discount the dealerships I talked to would offer was the manufacturer rebates and discounts.

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I test drove a PW in Dec when they had the big promotion but didn't buy at that time. Went back at the beginning of Jan and the price was much higher. The sales guy I got wouldn't negotiate much and said I missed out on the big end of year sale. I watched the truck online for about 3 weeks until the advertised price was more reasonable. I went in and talked to a different sales guy and was able to negotiate down to 19% below MSRP of $67.9K.

Sando

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
We just received our new incentives for this next month. Nothing real spectacular. Right now, dealers are hurting for inventory and there really isn't anything in the pipeline. You can order and hope that incentives bounce back by the time of delivery. I recommend looking for a truck that meets your requirements and make an offer. A reputable dealer will counter with a pretty aggressive price. Be careful when shopping across regions, incentives differ from market to market. We are one of the larger dealers and only have one Power Wagon in stock. It is selling for for 11% below MSRP. It is a 2020 with no standard rebates, but there are a few conditional rebates available. A quick search shows a few 2019's still floating around in CA.

PLMCRZY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
The Power Wagon is a limited production model which affects actual supply on dealer lots. That does have an affect on what price you can actually negotiate.

So keep looking...you'll find one you like or you can order one if you wish. Production has not ramped up back to pre-Covid 19 levels but that will come.

Good luck with your search and possible purchase.

To my knowledge, RAM will build as many Power Wagons as dealers/people order. No production caps. Here are the 2019 PW numbers.

BzDfqQFTeo9eBhH5OFHhC81mMY=w651-h384-no?authuser=0.png

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To my knowledge, RAM will build as many Power Wagons as dealers/people order. No production caps. Here are the 2019 PW numbers.

BzDfqQFTeo9eBhH5OFHhC81mMY=w651-h384-no?authuser=0.png

While Ram may not "limit" production of the Power Wagon, those numbers do prove that not many dealers or people order a Power Wagon. So definitely won't find a lot sitting on car lots! In 2019 Ram produced over 700,000 truck in the US and Canada compared to the less than 5,000 Power Wagons shown above....that means only 0.7% of Rams produced were Power Wagons. Another perspective is that there are around 2,500
Ram dealerships in the US. So if they only made 3,804 total in 2019 that's not even enough for 2 per dealership for the entire year.

PLMCRZY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
While Ram may not "limit" production of the Power Wagon, those numbers do prove that not many dealers or people order a Power Wagon. So definitely won't find a lot sitting on car lots! In 2019 Ram produced over 700,000 truck in the US and Canada compared to the less than 5,000 Power Wagons shown above....that means only 0.7% of Rams produced were Power Wagons. Another perspective is that there are around 2,500
Ram dealerships in the US. So if they only made 3,804 total in 2019 that's not even enough for 2 per dealership for the entire year.
This might be of some interest. Here are the high level 2019 RAM Model Year production numbers (not sales) Three assembly plants represented here.

2019 Model Year RAM truck production numbers (not sales)
USA - 736,938
CANADA - 123,289
MEXICO - 21,330
EXPORT - 13,565
---------------------
Grand Total - 895,122

I should clarify that the regions listed above are the final destinations of the RAMs, not the location of assembly.

-=PLMCRZY=-

Last edited: