2019 Laramie leaking rack and pinion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Found an oil leak apparently coming from the electric power steering rack on my 2019 2wd Laramie 1500. Took it to dealer and they said it was coming from the oil filter. Changed the filter, cleaned everything with brake cleaner, and found that the drip seems to be coming from the passenger side tie rod dust boot, see below. I know this is electric power steering and doesn't use a fluid but it must have some kind of lubrication for the rack and pinion. The steering works fine, no chattering, but I'm leaving on a 2000 mile trip next week and I'm concerned. Is there any type of oil/lubrication in the rack and pinion? I can't find anything on the web about it. Any ideas?

for the rack . Leaking boot.JPG

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did you check the oil pressure sending unit? the EPS is a sealed unit that I think there is a light duty grease in it, that oil looks like engine oil.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your oil filter and sending unit are directly above the rack , when your filter was removed oil drained over the rack soaking it . The rack should have been covered with tin foil or a rag to help keep things clean. Plus they should have cleaned up after the change . You have a sloppy mechanic not anything wrong with your steering.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your oil filter and sending unit are directly above the rack , when your filter was removed oil drained over the rack soaking it . The rack should have been covered with tin foil or a rag to help keep things clean. Plus they should have cleaned up after the change . You have a sloppy mechanic not anything wrong with your steering.
DITTO, sloppy work, and if the Oil filter is installed and tightened properly, check sending unit.

OP
OP
Retiring Don

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
SOLUTION: I double checked to ensure the oil filter was tight and cleaned off all the oil with brake cleaner. The leak continued but this time I could feel a thin coat of oil on the exterior of the oil filter, so removed the existing Fram Extra Guard PH10060 filter and replaced it with a new one; the same oil filter I've used since the truck was new. Cleaned off all the oil again and two days later the drip returned. Watched an episode of Engine Masters where they compared several different oil filters for various attributes, so I thought I'd do the same. I went to my local AutoZone and compared an STP oil filter for my truck with the Fram. The rubber gasket on the STP filter was visibly wider and thicker. Bought and installed it, and the leak stopped. Ordered a Wix filter online and the rubber gasket on it is wider and thicker than the Fram. Don't know if Fram changed their specs or someone else is making this filter than before. Bottom line is I'm not going to use Fram anymore.

Attachments

• Wix vs Fram.JPG
    Wix vs Fram.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Fram vs Wix.JPG
    Fram vs Wix.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 3

Rebel4Mo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Changed the oil in our new to us 2019 Rebel two weeks ago and saw the same mess.

As far as the filter I used a NAPA Premium or Platinum(what ever its called) and there was no leak.
Going to remove the skid plate and clean that up because thats where all the goes down to when removing the filter.
Will try to bag it next time.