2019 No oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg 2019 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2019 ram 2500 6.4 Hemi no oil pressure on start up. Clanging noise. Shut off immediately and towed to dealer. No codes thrown . Oil changed with recommended Penzoil every 5K miles. What is the issues failed oil pump, lifters MDS system? Will warranty cover? Only 45K on engine not giving me much confidence in the Hemi engine.

Last edited:

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know what kind of warranty your engine has (5 years? 7? 10?). Dealer will probably try to screw you and say you mistreated the engine - esp. if its got to be rebuilt/replaced. Based on what you stated, your oil pump is shattered. Sometimes, faulty metals get into the making of components - so it's possible that is the culprit. Hemi engines are typically pretty good engines as long as you're not trying to be a speed demon, and as long as you take care of them. If it's JUST the oil pump, then you might be lucky and able to get away without having to replace the engine, but IF pieces of it got into the main part of the engine, or if a piston failed, the entire engine is going to have to be rebuilt or replaced. If your warranty is good (7 years/70,000 or 10 years/100,000) you might be ok - but again, dealer may try to screw you.

OP
OP
G

Greg 2019 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They said it's still under warranty but will probably try to screw me . From what I read looks like a new engine after only 45K. Are all new trucks junk?

OP
OP
G

Greg 2019 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I baby the truck too. Will update with dealer response after truck is diagnosed.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They said it's still under warranty but will probably try to screw me . From what I read looks like a new engine after only 45K. Are all new trucks junk?
I don't think so - but take it under this advisement: Most car manufacturers don't actually want to sell junk because it means they have to spend more to fix warranty issues, post recalls, and risk lemon laws. They DO want to make it as cheaply as they can get away with (meaning using the cheapest source of metals that are graded in certain grades, plastics as thin as possible, etc.) because it means more $$$ in their pocket, but they don't want to have to FIX things either, because it means less $$$ in their pocket - it almost always costs more to fix an issue, than it does to make it right the first time, especially if they have to do a recall. That being said, more than 65-70% of parts used in the American supply/manufacturing system are sourced from China. Now, that being said, most car manufacturers rely on their service department network to report major issues, but I also believe service departments do get "dinged" for too many negative reports that result in the company having to pay to fix the issue (meaning - if they report too many issues they're noticing, they get a corporate black mark). So - it's in the service department's best interest to try to keep you on the hook for as much as possible. I also believe that warranty repairs also don't get charged at the full rate - meaning - the service department only gets a fraction of what the repair would normally be charged to a paying customer. It's the system that allows car manufacturers and service departments to get away with shoddy service. That doesn't mean that ALL service departments are this way - but many, if not most, are. There are several levels/layers as well. Each service department reports to a district manager (with several under the district), and the district managers report to a regional manager, who reports to the company service manager. If you're not getting help at one layer, ask for the next one up. Don't expect to much of a reply though unless you get an attorney involved. Also, keep in mind you can report your issue to the lemon laws.

Here's two good sites to read through carefully:

https://www.marketwatch.com/guides/car-loans/bought-a-lemon-car/

https://www.carfax.com/blog/you-bought-a-lemon

V/R

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This doesn't make me feel good. I have a 2019 6.4 hemi that just turned 40k. I guess I will be keeping my fingers crossed.
Sorry - It's better to know the hard truth vs. having smoke being blown (no pun intended) you know where - It's better to deal with this sort of situation with an attitude that you're going to have major issues and/or problems with the dealer, and then be pleasantly surprised if things do work out (and I hope they do work out!) Good luck!

OP
OP
G

Greg 2019 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dealer called this morning said tech checked truck and everything was normal. No noise, oil pressure cold was 70 psi and 49 after warm up. Oil was clean, no codes no alerts . Weird . Hope it stays together .

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This doesn't make me feel good. I have a 2019 6.4 hemi that just turned 40k. I guess I will be keeping my fingers crossed.

Read the UAO thread, Get you favorite top tier oil / filter from your research, And Dont follow your Owners manual bullcrap and it will be fine.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Dealer called this morning said tech checked truck and everything was normal. No noise, oil pressure cold was 70 psi and 49 after warm up. Oil was clean, no codes no alerts . Weird . Hope it stays together .
By any chance had you started the engine prior to your issue and it only ran for say a minute or 2 then you shut it off,and didn't restart it for say an hour or more after the prior short run time.
The hemi will clatter if you fire it up,move it a couple feet,then shut it off,and wait for a bit,on the next start it'll rattle and have lifter noises etc..
If that's what you did,it's nothing to worry about,one way around it,is to take the rpm up to about 1500/1800 rpm for a few seconds before you shut it off after you've moved it a few feet,or it's only ran for a minute or 2.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Read the UAO thread, Get you favorite top tier oil / filter from your research, And Dont follow your Owners manual bullcrap and it will be fine.
I have. I used to run PUP 0W-40 and lubeguard. I then went to redline 5w-30. Over the winter I am back on the PUP 0w-40 and lubeguard since I had some left and this spring I will change it out to HPL 0W-40 and see how that works out!!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By any chance had you started the engine prior to your issue and it only ran for say a minute or 2 then you shut it off,and didn't restart it for say an hour or more after the prior short run time.
The hemi will clatter if you fire it up,move it a couple feet,then shut it off,and wait for a bit,on the next start it'll rattle and have lifter noises etc..
If that's what you did,it's nothing to worry about,one way around it,is to take the rpm up to about 1500/1800 rpm for a few seconds before you shut it off after you've moved it a few feet,or it's only ran for a minute or 2.

I wonder...

On only one occasion, I started my truck and it sounded like a bag of marbles in a tin cup, for a couple of seconds. IIRC, I may have done as described, started it and only moved a short distance before parking on a slope with the engine considerably lower than the rear end.

Do you have any theories about the noise source in this instance or your previously described happening? :cool:

OP
OP
G

Greg 2019 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ran great on Friday on drive home from work. Went to start it Saturday morning then that’s when I had the issue. I will start the truck at the dealership while they’re there before going home. Hoping for no more issues.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wonder...

On only one occasion, I started my truck and it sounded like a bag of marbles in a tin cup, for a couple of seconds. IIRC, I may have done as described, started it and only moved a short distance before parking on a slope with the engine considerably lower than the rear end.

Do you have any theories about the noise source in this instance or your previously described happening? :cool:

About all i got is it doesn't run long enough to fully pump up the lifters,and they bleed off by the next start. It's a fairly common issue on a short run time,and on the next start the engine will make all kinds of noises.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of an oil filter do you have, If the bypass valve is stuck you'll have a hard time with oil pressure? use Quality oil filter like royal purple, try changing the filter and see if it helps.
Summit racing stocks them.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
About all i got is it doesn't run long enough to fully pump up the lifters,and they bleed off by the next start. It's a fairly common issue on a short run time,and on the next start the engine will make all kinds of noises.
FWIW, my '15 Ram has done this EVERY single time that I've short-tripped it. Upon restarting, it will tick like hell for a few seconds.

BTW, my truck had 28K on it when bought, and has 183K miles on it now.

Sounds like absolute sh*t, and it makes me cringe whenever it happens. Raising the rpm's before shutting off does work for me IF and when I remember to do it....lol.

Keep us posted on what happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357