2019 Ram Bighorn Classic, constantly loses Carplay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mavrick813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As the title says I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn Classic with wired Carplay. I have an Iphone 15 Pro Max and an Apple wire brand new.

When I got the truck in 2020 I had some issues with the head unit not identifying my phone via Carplay even though the phone would be charging while plugged in, The dealership swapped the head unit and sent me on my way. 2 days later we were back to the same issue, Phone charges but no Carplay. This is really frustrating because my Nav is through Carplay.

The dealership swapped the head unit again and I haven't had any lasting issues until recently. The new symptom would be that i'd lose Carplay, unplug my phone and plug it back in and Carplay would come back.

However since I upgraded to my 15 Pro Max, Carplay is hit or miss some days it just doesn't work at all. So the dealership is replacing the head unit again. BUT!

This is what they're telling me, The head unit I have is Z8461703AC, and the unit they are going to be putting in is Z8331635AO. They believe that since its a new Part Number that there are changes. I can't figure out what those changes are.

I've contemplated trying to swap out to a whole new system and was trying to find a detailed thread here that would give me explicit part numbers and details on how to do that but everything I find is basically people asking this question and "Jimmy" saying that once he gets parts he'll do a walk through. I can't locate the walk through...

Any insight would be helpful..

Thanks
MIke

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've contemplated trying to swap out to a whole new system
Aside from the head unit, the other parts to the system are the USB hub and the wiring that runs between. I know the hubs have given people grief in the past.
Try different using cables, even a USB-A to USB-C type.

OP
OP
M

Mavrick813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aside from the head unit, the other parts to the system are the USB hub and the wiring that runs between. I know the hubs have given people grief in the past.
Try different using cables, even a USB-A to USB-C type.
I have a brand new apple USB A to USB C apple wire.

The dealership never mentioned the hub or wiring. They always just blame the head unit.

There was an issue when I first got the truck that the wiring under the driver seat snagged somehow and all the wire ties that hold it in place were broke. And I had an airbag light going off.

They fixed that, I wonder if the wiring your talking about is In that harness as well?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There was an issue when I first got the truck that the wiring under the driver seat snagged somehow and all the wire ties that hold it in place were broke.
If memory serves me correctly, all the wiring for the media hub runs under the center console. It pops up at the back side of the console, that trim piece just snaps on.
Theri also another connection at the front of the center console about where it meets the dash.
Something else to check is if there is any battery optimization settings on the phone for the app

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Well I'm going to state the obvious, first issue is it's an Apple product. But aside from that, all joking aside. Regardless of carplay or Android auto , is your cord more than 3 ft long? Both systems can get very glitchy if the cord is over 3 ft long. Technically specs call for 3 ft total. That would include the distance between the head unit and the USB hub plus your cord. But the wire harness alone is over 3 ft. So not much you can do there. Your best bet is to stick to a shorter cord as possible between the hub and your phone.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@Mavrick813
For reference:
How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM (Please read posts 1-5 for correct PNs, etc)

MEDIA HUB: 68328704Ax (AA, AC, AD, etc)

2018/19 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (USA)
68331631Ax (UAQ 4c Nav)
or 68331635Ax (UAS 4c non-nav)

2020/21 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (USA)
68461699Ax (UAQ 4c Nav)
or 68461703Ax (UAS 4c non-nav)
-----------------------

Do you have a full center console or the fold down jump seat in the middle?

If it's the jump seat, here's where the hub wiring (i350= Power & Aux Jack) and USB data cable go though under the driver seat....
HS&W Conn DrvrSeat Ref.jpg

If you have the full center console, the i350 and USB Data Cable are at the front of the console under the radio/beneath the cupholder top ...
Screenshot_20240106_021428_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240106_021001_Gallery.jpg

... And there's a secondary connection at the back of the console just before it goes up into the hinge....

Screenshot_20240106_021119_Gallery.jpg

PS: it could also be a loose improperly seated or bad F67 fuse ... But I'd try a different hub first.

Screenshot_20240106_105448_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mavrick813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I'm going to state the obvious, first issue is it's an Apple product. But aside from that, all joking aside. Regardless of carplay or Android auto , is your cord more than 3 ft long? Both systems can get very glitchy if the cord is over 3 ft long. Technically specs call for 3 ft total. That would include the distance between the head unit and the USB hub plus your cord. But the wire harness alone is over 3 ft. So not much you can do there. Your best bet is to stick to a shorter cord as possible between the hub and your phone.
I’m using a 3’ Apple cable…

Shouldn’t be the issue. It’s brand new.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357