2019 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Upnorthmn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I need too tow my 7,400 RV camper! I have a 2019 1500 Ram Hemi 5.7 GVWR 7,100, 3.21 rear end, Equalizer hitch 107 pounds. Only have tow haul to help, plus 1857 payload.6.4 box Possible or not?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you had actual tongue weight of fully loaded trailer, would be better. But using an estimated 15% tongue weight to trailer weight, your 1857 - 1110 tongue weight = 747 remaining payload. A couple people in truck and you are near maximum. Just keep gear weight down in truck, should be fine. Also, assume you have no heavy accessories or big tires. That could impact handling.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks like your max towing cap is around 8400#, so you are at about 90% tow cap to begin with. And that would put your tongue weight at about 1250#, leaving you with only 600# for remaining cargo - you, stuff in the bed, junk behind the seat, a toolbox, etc. I think you're not going to much enjoy the towing experience.

Attachments

• 2019_DT_Trailer Tow Master.pdf
    270.8 KB · Views: 6

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
When you say you only have tow\haul to help, are you saying you don't have the trailer brake controller?

OP
OP
U

Upnorthmn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
No tbc, right just tow haul! I have no experience in towing. I believe the RV has brakes. I do have the 7 pin connector does that give power to trailer brakes? Advice welcome. Plus this is a camper going on my land so I won't be traveling with it. Just to get it on my land.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
You need the controller to activate the trailer brakes, it does go thru the 7 pin, but without the controller, they won't work. How far, what type of roads and terrain. If it's all flat and only a couple of miles, it's possibly doable if you take it real slow and don't have too many stops. Without trailer brakes, any hills, a lot of stopping, or highway speeds would negate any possibility attempting it for me, and I've been towing for over 40 years. You may also want to check your state laws, in beautiful, sunny New Jersey, anything over 3,000 lbs, or 40% of the tow vehicles gross weight requires trailer brakes.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a trailer brake controller (OEM). Already this trip sounds scary as h__l so far. I wouldn't attempt this with out one or find someone who has a truck with a complete setup to tow it for you.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No tbc, right just tow haul! I have no experience in towing. I believe the RV has brakes. I do have the 7 pin connector does that give power to trailer brakes? Advice welcome. Plus this is a camper going on my land so I won't be traveling with it. Just to get it on my land.
That's a non-starter, northman. With a trailer that heavy you need brake assist from the trailer or it will push you into an accident the first time you try to stop. The trailer itself may have brakes, but they will not work without the controller because you have to set the controller to tell it how much brake pressure to apply to the trailer brakes. My guess is, without the controller, even though you have the 7-pin connector there is/will be no power sent to the trailer brake pin.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup have some goofy sway control but no TBC no electric brakes. No wsy OP U gonna have to get a TBC installed and if OEM which IMHO is the one and get flashed not safe to tow like Tulcrepper said Non-Starter

OP
OP
U

Upnorthmn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Looks like your max towing cap is around 8400#, so you are at about 90% tow cap to begin with. And that would put your tongue weight at about 1250#, leaving you with only 600# for remaining cargo - you, stuff in the bed, junk behind the seat, a toolbox, etc. I think you're not going to much enjoy the towing experience.

Yup have some goofy sway control butIam no TBC no electric brakes. No wsy OP U gonna have to get a TBC installed and if OEM which IMHO is the one and get flashed not safe to tow like Tulcrepper said Non-Starter

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Iam looking at a Curt assure TBC. It's basically plug and play...
OK, that's a start. I don't know that brand so you need to be sure the model you order is a fit for you specific truck.

What does it 'plug and play' into?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
1. With a trailer that large and no TBC, it's a no-go. I see people doing it all the time and it is NOT safe. I personally recommend the OEM integrated one, you can buy and install/setup yourself, or have a dealer do it depending on your skill level, but either way it is worth it.
2. Make sure your WDH and sway control are set up properly. Best way is to hit a CAT scale, otherwise you're really just guessing, but the trailer should be pretty close to level when you're done - the truck may not be but that's okay so long as most of the front axle weight gets returned to it.
3. Regardless of how far you're towing, take it easy - you want to get there in one piece, don't be in a hurry. Wide turns, longer stopping distances, height restrictions, etc. etc. etc.

Panduh

Reaction score
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm pretty sure you will need a good WDH to prevent overload of your rear axle and loss of safe steering and front braking control.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you are just dragging that home and setting it as a bunk house, Just tire it delivered.
A few miles on flat land, you could do it, but you don't say.
I have the 7 pin connector and tow package on last couple trucks, but nether had brake controller., I did get a aftermarket one for one time I was moving stuff, it worked OK.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
don't do it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500