2020 1500 5.7 - Fuel Filter - Change - Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to owning a Ram.
Nused (new to me/used by somebody else) 1500 and I got a message from the dealership that my truck needs a fuel filter changed due to 30K mileage interval.
I used to own a Chevy Duramax and had to change the fuel filters on it. It was on the passenger firewall.

So what is the user experience on the frequency of change interval for this part?
Where is this filter located?
Can I "harry homeowner" this? I do not have any lift equipment or a creeper to get under the truck, nor do I have a vast expanse of tools in the toolbox.
About how long would this project take a non-experienced person to complete?
Any tips to be successful, any tools required other than basic sockets, screwdrivers (I have those)?

Thank you all for your collective wisdom.

BlueHemi1500

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Unless things have changed on the 2020's,there is no replacable fuel filter on your 5.7 truck,it basically has a sock on the bottom of the fuel pump. I'd avoid that dealership,as they seem to be wanting to charge you for something that isn't there.I've yet to replace that sock on my 3 Chryco products.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The EcoDiesel has a fuel filter (Cummins has two)but the change interval is 20K at most.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dealers lie ,give incorrect information, do not usually know their ash from a hole in the ground. Check your owners manual for that , bet it is not there. Find an independent repair shop or keep trying till you can find an honest dealer.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to owning a Ram.
Nused (new to me/used by somebody else) 1500 and I got a message from the dealership that my truck needs a fuel filter changed due to 30K mileage interval.
I used to own a Chevy Duramax and had to change the fuel filters on it. It was on the passenger firewall.

So what is the user experience on the frequency of change interval for this part?
Can I "harry homeowner" this? I do not have any lift equipment or a creeper to get under the truck, nor do I have a vast expanse of tools in the toolbox.
Any tips to be successful, any tools required other than basic sockets, screwdrivers (I have those)?

BlueHemi1500
I don’t know of a fuel filter on a gas powered 1500. Not saying there isn’t one but never heard of one and never had dealer or others recommend changing. As Wild One stated earlier there is some sort of mesh on the lower part of the fuel pump, little did I know it was a filter. When I had my fuel pump out to replace my defective gas tank there was zero crud on the mesh “sock” thing. Todays gasoline is pretty clean and the EPA mandated poly/plastic holding tanks for gas stations a decade ago so less concern about rust and sediment than when I was a youngster. I often question why I replace my lawnmower fuel filter every season when it’s clear and nothing appears to be trapped in it. Sounds like a money grab by the dealer.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Go see dealer, and take the notice with you. Make him show you where this fuel filter is and the Mopar service interval on it. When they can't, file an official complaint for fraud. File it with the Police, the Attorney General, your consumer protection department and whoever regualtes car dealers in your state. Unless people start making it VERY uncomfortable for dealerships to out right lie and screw over customers, this nonsense will continue.

What Is Fraud, Anyway?

“Fraud” is any activity that relies on deception in order to achieve a gain. Fraud becomes a crime when it is a “knowing misrepresentation of the truth or concealment of a material fact to induce another to act to his or her detriment” (Black’s Law Dictionary). In other words, if you lie in order to deprive a person or organization of their money or property, you’re committing fraud.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My Chevy Silverado 1500 had a fuel filter. It was along the rail right under the driver's door. I changed it twice in the 190,000 miles I owned it. I can't imagine they would build an engine without one.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My Chevy Silverado 1500 had a fuel filter. It was along the rail right under the driver's door. I changed it twice in the 190,000 miles I owned it. I can't imagine they would build an engine without one.
Just because you can't imagine it doesn't change reality. There is no external, serviceable filter on a 2020, 1500 5.7 Hemi. Sock on the fuel pump is the only filter, and it isn't a serviceable item.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless things have changed on the 2020's,there is no replacable fuel filter on your 5.7 truck,it basically has a sock on the bottom of the fuel pump. I'd avoid that dealership,as they seem to be wanting to charge you for something that isn't there.I've yet to replace that sock on my 3 Chryco products.
In MANY cases, the integral fuel filter inside the tank CAN be serviced. The "Sock" or "Screen" is NOT a filter; it's job is to keep large debris out of the fuel pump only. BlueHemi might check into it. It isn't an at home repair for anyone not experienced at higher level maintenance/ repair, though.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not heard of anyone servicing, unless they got a bad batch of fuel and/or did the ultimate and dumped diesel in the "gas" tank. But then, I's just a BOIRD.

Sometimes I wish there was an external filter for the gas Rams.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In MANY cases, the integral fuel filter inside the tank CAN be serviced. The "Sock" or "Screen" is NOT a filter; it's job is to keep large debris out of the fuel pump only. BlueHemi might check into it. It isn't an at home repair for anyone not experienced at higher level maintenance/ repair, though.
There is no fuel filter as such on a Hemi,whether on the pump body or inline.

14ramdjh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if it needs to be changed it will say so in the owners manual

OP
OP
B

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all for the great info.
Perhaps they think I have a diesel engine?
I did look at the manual - service/maint section - and noted a diesel engine fuel filter.

I will then wait for the next mileage interval for Oil and Tire rotation.
Now back to your regularly scheduled program(s) :).

BlueHemi1500

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to owning a Ram.

BlueHemi1500

Read your owners manual. It should be in the glove box and will prevent falling for this type of BS.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Personally ..

I could never understood why they switched from an electric fuel pump that was mounted outside of the fuel tank.
Then have a pressure regulator mounted on the firewall.

I know that an in tank fuel pump does not use the pressure needed to keep a 1978 Dodge Polara 440 motoring.
Those fuel pumps pushed so much fuel, that they had a return line so that the carbs seals did not blow out from excessive pressure.

I ended up selling that Dodge back to the mechanic that i had bought it from

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I would ignore that notice, bogus........that being said, there should be a
filter someplace else along the frame rail or engine compartment as is normal
in most all vehicles. You don't have to go into the gas tank fuel pump.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
According to the Ram 1500 (DT) service manual, the only filter in the 5th gen fuel system is in the fuel tank.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 96661 miles.