2021 2500 gas fill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philholda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Bought my first dodge, 2021 2500 heavy duty utility body work truck.
Problem is when I put gas in it, the gas handle pump always clicks off, over and over if I’m trying to fill it quickly. So it takes 10 full minutes to slowly and annoyingly fill the tank… anyone else had this issue? And any fixes??? If not, I’m probably gonna trade it in for a Ford… that’s never done that for me… thank you for any help with this annoying problem…

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pull the nozzle out slightly, you have a filler neck problem.

OP
OP
P

Philholda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I appreciate the response, I’ve tried slightly pulling it out, turning it to the side, upside down, half in, quarter in, jammed in. Nothing seems to work unless it’s on slow fill… which absolutely sucks in freezing temps and crap weather. Ill
Look into getting in touch with the dealer for a filller neck replacement tho. Thank you

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are in some cases filler neck problems on some trucks. U would need to check with dealer. There was also some talk ref pinched vent tube on gas tank. Just posting what I have read in the past.

from another thread:
Same issue here with my 2019 Rebel. Filling it was fine the first year and 3 months ago the fast shutoff started. Does not matter what gas station I go to, nor how slow I fill it. After 3-7 seconds it shuts off. I also have a 2019 Tradesman for 6 months with no problem. Just dropped off the Rebel today. There is a replacement filler neck, part #68448220AA that is less steep that supposedly fixes the problem. We will see what the dealer says tomorrow. A class action lawsuit was filed in LA in July regarding these known issues.

OP
OP
P

Philholda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you! Ill
Definitely look into it. I’m going crazy at the filling station and it’s really making me nuts… especially on a brand new truck.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thank you! Ill
Definitely look into it. I’m going crazy at the filling station and it’s really making me nuts… especially on a brand new truck.
I bet the people waiting behind you at the pump don't like it either.

Wadejesu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are in some cases filler neck problems on some trucks. U would need to check with dealer. There was also some talk ref pinched vent tube on gas tank. Just posting what I have read in the past.

from another thread:
Same issue here with my 2019 Rebel. Filling it was fine the first year and 3 months ago the fast shutoff started. Does not matter what gas station I go to, nor how slow I fill it. After 3-7 seconds it shuts off. I also have a 2019 Tradesman for 6 months with no problem. Just dropped off the Rebel today. There is a replacement filler neck, part #68448220AA that is less steep that supposedly fixes the problem. We will see what the dealer says tomorrow. A class action lawsuit was filed in LA in July regarding these known issues.
That part # is for a 1500

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Most fueling issues have been reported for the 1500 capless fillers. I haven't seen very many complaints on the HD gassers having this issue. Are the newer HD gassers capless now, or do they still have the older cap style filler neck?

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most fueling issues have been reported for the 1500 capless fillers. I haven't seen very many complaints on the HD gassers having this issue. Are the newer HD gassers capless now, or do they still have the older cap style filler neck?
Regular old cap

SocialAnthroProf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 liter promaster
I have a 2021 Ram Promaster with a Winnebago conversion called a Solis Pocket. I have 380 miles on it and went to fill it the first time today (it came from the dealer with 300 miles and a half tank of gas). It took me 30 minutes to put in 18 gallons as it would only fill for 3 seconds and then shut off. I tried moving the hose to various lengths and angles. Nothing helped. If I did not wait 5 seconds after it clicked before trying to pump gas again, it would just shut off with no gas pumped. I am supremely frustrated.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe try a different gas station. The reason I say that is I never had a problem with my 1500 until I took a trip to SD last year. I experienced this issue at a station in MT. About 10-15 minutes to fill the truck, and all I'm thinking is about how many have had this issue that I have read about. Now I'm dreading my next fuel stop, but no problems with any other gas station. Sounds weird, but only had the issue at one station, that is why I mentioned maybe try another station.

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could be the filler hose has a kink/twist. The utility body was likely put on at a outside vendor (at least thats how its done here on west coast) and when they pulled the bed to istall the body it might have been kinked. Mine was left loose and would leak only when full and on a hill.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Brand new, under warranty, qualifies as the dealers problem in my books. My bet also is the filler tube got messed up when they put the utliity bed on it.