2022 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptainMax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
Hey Everyone,

I am new to this form, so I am not sure if this is the correct category to post in, but any help is greatly appreciated.

I am looking to purchase a new Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel BigHorn Crew Cab 6' 4", and I am trying to decide if this truck is what I need or if I will need to change what I am looking for. FYI this will be my daily driver

1. I tow a 2022 Super Air Nautique G23 about six times a year which, including trailer and fuel, weighs about 7850lbs all the other times I tow my standup jetski, and including a trailer, weighs about 350lbs. I saw that the EcoDiesel has a maximum towing capacity of 9650lbs. Will this suffice with the amount that I tow the Nautique, or do I need to get a 2500?

2. With the amount that I tow heavy, do I need to get a 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio, or will the 3.21 suffice? Again this will be my daily driver, so I am mainly focused on mpg.

3. For daily driving and occasionally towing heavy, does the 4 Corner Air Suspension make the drive a lot better enough to justify the upgrade?

4. Finally, I would love to know the good, bad, and ugly about the 1500 EcoDiesel. I am planning on having this truck for many years as my daily driver, and I need a reliable truck. So any insight on the good and bad about the transmission and EcoDiesel would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You will need to know your trailers tongue weight along with estimated fully loaded weight mots trailer weights given most likely does not include weight of batteries then add weight of your propane tank (s), luggage, food etc, being not all truck have same payload capacity you will have to look to see what one fills your needs the more options it has the less payload it can carry... At this time my best guess is 3.55 if available.

Motivology

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Hey Everyone,

I am new to this form, so I am not sure if this is the correct category to post in, but any help is greatly appreciated.

I am looking to purchase a new Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel BigHorn Crew Cab 6' 4", and I am trying to decide if this truck is what I need or if I will need to change what I am looking for. FYI this will be my daily driver

1. I tow a 2022 Super Air Nautique G23 about six times a year which, including trailer and fuel, weighs about 7850lbs all the other times I tow my standup jetski, and including a trailer, weighs about 350lbs. I saw that the EcoDiesel has a maximum towing capacity of 9650lbs. Will this suffice with the amount that I tow the Nautique, or do I need to get a 2500?

2. With the amount that I tow heavy, do I need to get a 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio, or will the 3.21 suffice? Again this will be my daily driver, so I am mainly focused on mpg.

3. For daily driving and occasionally towing heavy, does the 4 Corner Air Suspension make the drive a lot better enough to justify the upgrade?

4. Finally, I would love to know the good, bad, and ugly about the 1500 EcoDiesel. I am planning on having this truck for many years as my daily driver, and I need a reliable truck. So any insight on the good and bad about the transmission and EcoDiesel would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

I am in the same boat too (pun intended? lol), but with a car hauler. It sounds like the 1500 with 3.92 gears will suffice for your occasional towing. I can't comment on everything else as I do not own one yet.

One thing worth noting, you will need 3.92 gears because if you do 3.21 gears - the max towing is around 8000 lbs so you're really pushing it at max with that boat.

For some reason, the higher trims have slightly lower max compared to lower trims. Just FYI on that.

Check out this link:

Hope it helps. Those G23's are sick, enjoy.

Warlock1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
1. 1500 will be fine as you have chosen
2. I went with a 3.92 because I like the way it drives much better. The negligible loss in mileage made no difference to me.
3. I did not do the air ride. Very expensive if things break or go bad. Even my salesman told me not to get it. I might want to add a lift someday.
4. I absolutely love my truck. The outside and inside styling is just gorgeous. I will end up doing a tune on the truck because I know the manufacturers leave a lot of drivability and power on the table just to meet requirements. I also want to get rid of the initial lag on taking off. All cars now days have this.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, the only question I have is your DD issue. if U R talking of just running a couple of miles into town like 3 days a week, you are going to run in to emissions issue, specifically DPF/REGEN. U have to work those diesels a little. If all U R mainly doing is trips to town, at least once a week you need to take a Highway speed drive (talking 60-75 mph) for like an hour to force a regen, or you are going to have the Regen/DPF issue. Just saying. Other than that, your ED will pull the load OK. Make sure you use a WDH and scale all to insure proper weight distribution. If U can get the 3:55 rear be good, or go up to the 3:92. Cut your mileage just a lil, but it is only a baby 3.0L motor ne way. (Keep up the MX also). I would not do Air Ride unless U just have to have, especially if you are in a Northern Tier client, that Air Suspension known to have issues in the cold. ALL IMHO .....

FYI: I looked on line and it appears a Lot cheaper to Order the Build than to buy off of lot, just saying. Make sure U get LED lighting also.

Last edited:

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hey Everyone,

Thank you for your help!
4. My wife has a '18 EcoDiesel in a Jeep GC. 56,000 miles on it now and it has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. Oil changes and fuel filter changes and that's it.
Also, 27-29mpg regardless of highway driving or in town driving.