2022 Rebel GT Charging System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awokenotwoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an issue for the second time in 2 months with the vehicle charging system. The battery voltage drops to 11.9V and the engine stalls at a stop. The engine RPM drops to 500; battery warning light is active in the dash. This is also an e-torque system which does not function for several days leading up to the described condition.

The first time the dealer said they did a software update to the e-torque system, and it has also had a warranty recall update done. It is in at the dealer parked until techs are available to work on it on Thursday.
My suspicion is the issue has nothing to do with software, and is an insecure connection somewhere in the electrical circuits.
Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

OP
OP
A

Awokenotwoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picked the truck up from the dealer and the condition cannot be replicated by their technicians. I am thinking this is a regulator of some type that will fail and re-set once the vehicle is turned off for a period of time. The e-torque system still has not worked for a week even though I used it on a several hour drive with no a/c. Any thoughts?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Get @RamCares involved and let us know if it happens again.

Subbed...
2022 Rebel Hydro Blue
VIN: xxxxxxxNN119686
(7,426 mi, Purchased 3/7/22)... Now at 10k mi

This exact issue happened to me 1x after the last eTorque charging system update (6/6/22 Hybrid Control Processor update. See here) that fixed the truck going into limp mode while in Tow/Haul Mode in certain situations.
Let the dealer keep the truck for a week using it to run parts... Couldn't replicate it and hasn't happened since. (They did see the "loss of power/stall code" (DTC P032F) but there was no real useful info with that code ... ie " Anything that could cause the engine to stall".

Here's the details...

Sat. 7/16/22 ~ 3:05pm to 3:40pm
- While pulling out of my neighborhood onto the road, the truck abruptly shut itself off, went into PARK & applied the e-Brake with my truck sticking into the roadway about a foot (& another vehicle behind me). Oncoming traffic in the lane was able to go around me still. Thankfully traffic was light and I wasn’t stuck further out in the road when it happened… or Mon-Fri when it’s busier.

- I noticed the “Battery” fault symbol on the dash but was able to start the truck, release the e-brake, and get it in DRIVE again to get going again. During the rest of the 35 min drive to work, I had the digital gauges up on the radio and could see the battery voltage was at 11.9v - 12.0v for the entire drive to work.
image013.jpg

Sun. 7/17/22 ~ 12:15am to 12:45am
- After sitting for 8hrs, I came out expecting to need a jumpstart to get home and found the truck started right up.

- I pulled up the digital gauges on the radio and the dash cluster and saw the battery voltage was at 13.9v -14.0v. That seemed weird, but perhaps the 48v Li eTorque Battery recharged the 12v system.

- During the 35min drive home from work, I noticed the battery voltage continued to drop to 13.3v, 13,2v, & 13.0v by the time I got home.

Attachments

• image014.jpg
    image014.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 9
  • image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 9
  • image016.jpg
    image016.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 7
  • image017.jpg
    image017.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image018.jpg
    image018.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220908_110053.jpg
    20220908_110053.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Awokenotwoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like we have the same truck. Mine was built in Sept 2021.
I have taken issue with the dealer on the 2 parts to this system not working properly. First is the stall condition which is related to some failure of a relay or regulator intermittently, or the e-torque motor generator, and this condition had a 2021 my recall which replaced the MG set.

Second is the Start/Stop system which only works when all the temperature stars align. So about 2 months of the year where I live. This is unacceptable from both fronts and deserves regulator intervention.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Why chance you can have a moderator change your thread title to something like....

2022 Rebel eTorque charging/Engine stall issue

Maybe more people will find it. I was going to suggest reporting your issue National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) but I see your in Canada so not sure if it applies. Your the first person besides myself that I've seen report the issue (of course dealers would not have heard about it)