2023 Tradesman audio upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frozenrabbit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
VVT 3.6
Hi all, I just purchased a 2023 Ram 1500 Classic Tradesman. It has the basic small Uconnect, no CarPlay and doesn’t even have audio controls on the steering wheel.

I was told the infotainment system cannot be upgraded because it ties into the instrument cluster and mine is the basic, bottom of the line.

Is this true? Can I upgrade my infotainment system or not? If I can, can you get audio controls on your steering wheel? I had a more options in my 2018 Cherokee Sport. That was the base model then.

Can someone help? Thanks.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the basic 5.0 system. I can use my EVIC and scroll to my Audio screen, then hit OK and use the buttons on the left of the steering wheel to control the radio. Until I scroll off the Audio screen, then the buttons work as usual.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Pardon my ignorance, but what is EVIC?
Electronic Vehicle Information Center. It's the screen you're looking at when you look down at your dash that has you Speedometer/Fuel Economy/TPMS, etc. You can control some of the functions of your radio with the buttons on your steering wheel if you scroll to the menu with your Audio settings on it.

Last edited:

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can upgrade.the cluster doesn't matter.i would suggest sourcing the parts you need yourself.m2 mods here has the parts you need for the auto temp conversion.you would just need the radio.check the 4th gen forums tons of right ups on it.a classic is a 4th gen ram.you would get tons more responses there.welcome to the board it has a ton of info and help

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It really depends on what, "upgrading" means to you.

Does your truck have the 3.0 uconnect or the 5.0 uconnect?

From my understanding, the 3.0 can't be upgraded to another factory option like the 5.0 or any of the 8.4 variants. But, if you go aftermarket you can choose what you want.

In the aftermarket there are tons of options for OEM style integration like steering wheel controls and canbus setting with something like an idatalink maestro.

I'd suggest posting a picture of what you got, and then show us a picture of what you want.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2018, gen 4, ram 2500 that came with the 3.0 radio. I bought a 8.4 radio off car-parts.com, a bezel from Infotainment (I recommend spend the extra for separate volume control already installed). If you have classic (Gen 4 still sold as certain new 1500s) your upgrade will be listed in gen 4 section as stated above. You will also need a harness (also stated above, contact M²Mods in vendor section, but he is unavailable for 2 weeks, worth the wait, and he is very helpful). Also, you will need the upgraded back steering wheel cover with volume and channel switches, and wire harness to connect to radio. Benny at All Mopar Parts, also in vendor section, can help with these.

Tedious, but read through the entire thread in Gen 4 to understand it all. You also will be able to have backup camera appear on mirror and radio screen, again if all gen 4. Gen 5, there may be difference.

FYI, I bought aftermarket fog lights and fabricated some mounting brackets. I bought original switch with fog light option and factory wires with plugs that I attached to fog lights and bought a wire harness from M²Mods run between this plugs and fuse box. Needed AlphaOBD (another thread, read all BUT copy all settings before making any settings) to allow lights to work. Nice addition.

Good luck.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just passing by before I head out of town...

To the OP, it's possible your '23 Classic main radio connector has switched from the single 52 Pin version to the smaller 2 connector setup that's being used on the 5th gens and may change what I'm about to share (u need to pop out your radio and have a look).

-------------
RamForum.com 4th Gen 13-18/classic threads and info for those upgrading from an RA1/3.0" radio ...

- M² Mods Intro

** AlfaOBD (for activating factory features yourself. See Docs linked in OP )
---> OBDLink MX BT adapter
---> KaodTech Security Gateway Bypass

- DIY: 2017-19/20+ classic Overhead Mic and Compass harness install

- DIY: Add 2013-2018 OEM Foglight Wiring

- DIY: 2013-2018/classic RearView Mirror Upgrade & Harness install

- DIY: 2013-18 (classic) Power Fold Mirror upgrade/Notes

- DIY: 2013-2018 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

or if you want to go full 8.4 conversion:

- DIY: 2013-2017 RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Upgrade/HVAC Conversion

- INFO- 2013-2018 8.4 FW Notes (RA4/VP4 & UAx NA)

- How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM (Please read posts 1-5 for correct PNs, etc)

- HVAC problem with UAS upgrade (see ATC thread)

- How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck
(corrects potential HVAC issue with UAx radios)

- How-To: Add Heated/Ventilated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

- Installing OEM backup cam
** Pay attention to Post 10 as well as the OP **
- Post 1165/1166: My 13Ram Front cam install

- List of desired 4th Gen Mopar options and part numbers.

------------------------------