2500 6.4 Cold Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Bought this truck used on Saturday. Not having owned a 6.4 before I have no idea what "normal" sounds like. That being said, on a cold start my truck sounds awfully ticky and squeaky. And no matter how warmed up it is there's always this sound of an exhaust leak.

Took a vid, give it a listen.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
welcome to the world of odd 6.4 sounds. They all do that. Go to a dealership and start up 10 new trucks with 6.4's and that is the noise they make. I test drove 3 different new 6.4's when I bought my 2020 PW and all sounded the same. Not a great sound either but it is what it is.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Perfectly normal sounding Hemi, enjoy it, drive it hard, and put some miles on it. And as an aside, run Redline 5w40 oil in it.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
your hearing exhaust sound traveling through the manifold and down pipe. normal stuff sir. is this your first vehicle ? some engines have audible clicking from injectors . again normal. some have noise from vvt mechanism. nothing to worry there either. every engines noise is a bit different depending on its design and the type of components it uses

OP
OP
Riccochet

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
your hearing exhaust sound traveling through the manifold and down pipe. normal stuff sir. is this your first vehicle ? some engines have audible clicking from injectors . again normal. some have noise from vvt mechanism. nothing to worry there either. every engines noise is a bit different depending on its design and the type of components it uses

This is my 4th Hemi, but all the others were 5.7. I have no idea what is and is not "normal" for the 6.4. Which is why I posted here.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Yup, they sound like that. I did notice after my oil change it seemed to me to be less noisy.

Nice truck!!!

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i havent looked at the manifolds but maybe theyre stainless steel instead of the old cast iron style. that would make it sound a bit different as the steel would be thinner than cast iron

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds great to be honest. I hear fuel injectors, all that rapid high pitched squeaky type noise, my 5.7 injectors sound like that.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
All I hear from my 6.4 is injector ticking - but it's a very light tick.....not the heavy tick from the valve train. You'd know it if you heard it. I developed that on my 2012 truck with 5.7 Hemi ~ 35k miles on Mobil 1 5W-20.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
That’s how mine and my dads both sound. Not a fan but it’s seems to be normal.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Bought this truck used on Saturday. Not having owned a 6.4 before I have no idea what "normal" sounds like. That being said, on a cold start my truck sounds awfully ticky and squeaky. And no matter how warmed up it is there's always this sound of an exhaust leak.

Took a vid, give it a listen.

Sounds great to me!

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My hemi 5.7 sounds exactly like that too. A light, high pitched metallic tick/squeaking noise. Drive's me nuts to be honest and I'd love to find a way to eliminate it, but watch any hemi video on youtube and now that you know what to listen for you'll probably hear it in every video.

They're definitely not a quiet running engine, nothing at all like a 90's v8.

atxmike53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 5.7 and it is loud compared to the Chevy's I have owned. However mine sometimes makes a noticeable "thunk" or "clunk" unusual sound when starting it. Not all the time, just occasionally.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^ I have the same thing with my 6.4. Every no and then it sounds like it's going to throw a rod out of the block or something...kinda scary sounding. Just 1 loud bang at first start up, then sounds like a normal hemi. Maybe 1 out of every 10 or 20 cold starts would be my guess. I've never had it do it if I have already driven it and restarted.

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
If I start my truck from cold, and just move it around my driveway then shut it down, every now and then I will get lifter-pump up knocking for a few seconds on the next start. Never have this if the truck is driven far enough for it to get up to full operating temperature.

My Charger Scat Pack with the 6.4 did the same, and I have heard the same with many 5.7s. Bottom line, not concerned at all.

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If I start my truck from cold, and just move it around my driveway then shut it down, every now and then I will get lifter-pump up knocking for a few seconds on the next start. Never have this if the truck is driven far enough for it to get up to full operating temperature.

My Charger Scat Pack with the 6.4 did the same, and I have heard the same with many 5.7s. Bottom line, not concerned at all.

I have this same thing happen on mine. I try not to just fire it up move and shut down. Happened in my 5.7 and both 6.4s, it’s really really unfortunate as these are great trucks but there is definitely a major flaw in the engines.

As far as OPs truck, sounds just like both my 6.4s on a normal start up.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
^^^ I have the same thing with my 6.4. Every no and then it sounds like it's going to throw a rod out of the block or something...kinda scary sounding. Just 1 loud bang at first start up, then sounds like a normal hemi. Maybe 1 out of every 10 or 20 cold starts would be my guess. I've never had it do it if I have already driven it and restarted.

same mine isn’t quite that frequent but it starts hard sometimes like a old carb car with to much timing.