3.21 axle V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How much over? Safety and stability is the biggest concern.

OP
OP
M

Mmolina98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
About 1900 pounds. I did just do all brakes and upgraded to bilsteins front and rear. So braking and suspension wise everything is tight and good. But like I said when I go to pick it up and take it home depending how it does I could look into another truck. What are your thoughts

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What’s the dry weight on the trailer? What’s your rated load for the truck? 1900lbs over on dry weight is quite a bit. The axle can do it and the brakes can do it but that is a lot of added stress on the entire suspension and engine and transmission that isn’t originally designed to be there on your truck. If you get into an accident you will be blamed for anything that happens if they realize that you are over the weight on that truck.

OP
OP
M

Mmolina98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
What’s the dry weight on the trailer? What’s your rated load for the truck? 1900lbs over on dry weight is quite a bit. The axle can do it and the brakes can do it but that is a lot of added stress on the entire suspension and engine and transmission that isn’t originally designed to be there on your truck. If you get into an accident you will be blamed for anything that happens if they realize that you are over the weight on that truck.
Getting the weight distribution hitch and electronic brake controller which should also help some as well. Dry weight for trailer is 6000 truck is rated for 4200ish. My truck won’t be pulling this across country or anything crazy till I did get a new truck. It will mainly be flat ground and short distances.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At 6,000 pounds dry weight you’re already almost 2,000 pounds over weight. Add camping gear, food, water, clothes, etc etc etc and you’re probably 3,000 to 4,000 pounds overweight. Then, your truck gross weight is figured with gas and a driver, so now add a couple of passengers, maybe a dog and some snacks and you’re 3,500 to 4,500 pounds overweight. A weight distribution hitch and electronic brake controller DO NOT ADD TO THE ABILITY TO TOW A GROSSLY OVERWEIGHT TRAILER. In fact, they are absolutely necessary ANY TIME you tow a tag trailer. Plus, you’re towing all of this with 3.21 gears and a v6??? Wow!!
I strongly suggest you are in 3/4 ton territory!! Look under your truck and look under a 3/4 ton Ram. Note the difference in the size of the brakes to stop, look at the suspension for stability, look at the 10 ply tires. The differences in handling, stability, and braking are tremendous. Then add a 6.4 Hemi or even a 5.7 Hemi (I’ve had both) and you can actually pull hills and slow down adequately when going down the other side.

I’ve towed tags and 5th wheels for 15 years and I never considered anything less that a 3/4 ton truck. In most states, if you’re that much overweight and cause a fatal accident do to a runaway, you can be charged with manslaughter.

I’m anxious to read other comments from others that know how to tow. Good luck

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I never could figure out why there is such a big towing difference between the pentastar powered 3.21 final drive ratio vs the 3.55 final drive.

I owned one with the 3.21's and my brother has one with 3.55's. Everything is exactly the same between the two aside from the drive ratios.

They drive and perform the same, but I admittedly never towed a thing with mine. My brother tows his boats with his, but his boats don't exceed maybe 5000lbs max.

I would have no problem doing short tows with what you have, but wouldn't do long hauls. Just keep the 8spd in 6 or 7th. It likely will keep itself from going into 8th.

The problem with what you are describing is, this sounds like a travel trailer. There's a lot more going on with those than the just the weight. The lack of aerodynamics really stresses the tow vehicle.