3.55 or 3.92

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Safety1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
How do I know with out taking things apart how do I know if the axle is the 3.92 like dealer said when I bought the truck? It is a 2012 Laramie 1500.

Coffeeholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can I be a novice for a moment and ask. My truck has 3.55 based on the specs, what does that actually mean, in terms of what it's ratio-Ing and also for towing type stuff, people talk a lot about the ratio, does that give me more power than something less than 3.55 and less power than something higher? Sorry not trying to thred jack

OP
OP
S

Safety1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Thanks guys all the info was good, and I don't see anything wrong with the question Coffeeholic but I cannot truly answer that for you unless the root meaning is that the 3.92 can handle more torque

OilCityOperator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bigger gears will give you more low end torque = better for towing and getting the load rolling easier, also good for rotating larger tires without bogging down your truck

Simmons-Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Can I be a novice for a moment and ask. My truck has 3.55 based on the specs, what does that actually mean, in terms of what it's ratio-Ing and also for towing type stuff, people talk a lot about the ratio, does that give me more power than something less than 3.55 and less power than something higher? Sorry not trying to thred jack
Specifically, for every 3.55 rotations of the driveshaft, the wheels turn once. Or, on the 3.92s, 3.92 times.

Higher number means easier to turn the driveshaft and put power to the wheels, but because it takes more driveshaft rotations to turn the wheels, it means for any given road speed your engine is turning higher RPMs.

Bigger number is generally better for towing, because the engine has a bigger mechanical advantage. Lower number is better for quiet cruising and fuel economy.

Does that help? :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500