3" front axle side exit exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black-Ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Bighorn
I was thinking of getting rid of the factory dual exhaust and replacing it with a front axle side exit 3" single pipe, no resignator, with dual 5 inch tips that would be exiting just in front of the rear tire on the passenger side. I have a Gibson performance BM0114 MWA 3.0" center/center 5" round muffler I bought because of the sound it produces. I know i will be opening a can of worms when it comes to exhaust velocity, scavenging, and how it may not produce the best performance, or will it?
Any thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
What about the cut outs in your bumper

OP
OP
Black-Ram15

Black-Ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Bighorn
I plan to purchase a black colored one that will match the color of paint, no cut outs.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's not uncommon doing what you're doing. My buddy just did a 4" over the frame and exiting through the bottom of the box,it looks good,but is a little bit extreme if you ever want to sell the truck,as you'd probably want to patch the hole to sell the truck.There's room to run dual pipes to and have them exit under the box which is a bit more realistic an idea,i think somebody even makes a kit for it,but don't quote me on that.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen folks do that with their exhaust. I say go for it if that's what you want to do.

I just bought the same muffler MWA BM0114. Getting it installed next week. Curious how loud it's going to be compared to my current setup. I'm sure it's going to sound great.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love the way side pipes look lightning style that's going to be sweet! Both your trucks should sound badass

OP
OP
Black-Ram15

Black-Ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Bighorn
IMG_1415.jpg IMG_1414.jpg IMG_1416.jpg IMG_1417.jpg
I had a budy of mine bend me a couple pieces of 3" exhaust tubing and after a couple welds I had that baby installed. It looks bad @$$, and the sound of that Gibson muffler is music to my ears. It sounds like a track racing truck under heavy throttle going thru thoes eight gears. It's loud when you want it to be and drone on the highway is minimal. I'm glad I got that muffler, best one yet!

Gdawg55-
Your going to love the sound...one of a kind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black-Ram15

Black-Ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Bighorn
View attachment 213178 View attachment 213179 View attachment 213180 View attachment 213181
I had a budy of mine bend me a couple pieces of 3" exhaust tubing and after a couple welds I had that baby installed. It looks bad @$$, and the sound of that Gibson muffler is music to my ears. It sounds like a track racing truck under heavy throttle going throught thoes eight gears. It's loud when you want it to be and drone on the highway is minimal. I'm glad I got that muffler, best one yet!
Forgot to mention that I'm running with a pulsar/pedal commander combo, ported and polished throttle body, Jet performance throttle body spacer and a aFe cold air intake.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn that looks good, I'm glad you're happy with the mwa

OP
OP
Black-Ram15

Black-Ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Bighorn
I've seen folks do that with their exhaust. I say go for it if that's what you want to do.

I just bought the same muffler MWA BM0114. Getting it installed next week. Curious how loud it's going to be compared to my current setup. I'm sure it's going to sound great.

You will love this muffler.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forgot to mention that I'm running with a pulsar/pedal commander combo, ported and polished throttle body, Jet performance throttle body spacer and a aFe cold air intake.

Side tips look awesome!!

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will love this muffler.

Hope so. It's going on Tuesday.

Can you describe the muffler inside cab and outside volume and tone? How loud is it compared to what you had on prior to the switch?

OP
OP
Black-Ram15

Black-Ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Bighorn
Let me just mention that I run without resignators. I previously ran with a Flowmaster 40 series. I personally like a truck to sound intimidating and don't get me wrong the 40 does do the job. But I wanted a little more. I did a lot of research, looked at all the ones currently available for our hemi's, none satisfied me. That is why I decided to go 3" because I knew Gibson had racing series 3" mufflers for trucks. The sound in the cab idling at a stoplight is deep and "grumpy" sounding if that makes any sense. On green, that's where the fun starts for me, it's pretty loud especially with the windows down. Very quiet when your foot is off the gas pedal i must say. You can also really hear the downshifting. And last, you really hear the exhaust flowing out fast.

I'm sure a small resignator would dampen all i mentioned, if you make room for it. To me it's all music to my ears my friend.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me just mention that I run without resignators. I previously ran with a Flowmaster 40 series. I personally like a truck to sound intimidating and don't get me wrong the 40 does do the job. But I wanted a little more. I did a lot of research, looked at all the ones currently available for our hemi's, none satisfied me. That is why I decided to go 3" because I knew Gibson had racing series 3" mufflers for trucks. The sound in the cab idling at a stoplight is deep and "grumpy" sounding if that makes any sense. On green, that's where the fun starts for me, it's pretty loud especially with the windows down. Very quiet when your foot is off the gas pedal i must say. You can also really hear the downshifting. And last, you really hear the exhaust flowing out fast.

I'm sure a small resignator would dampen all i mentioned, if you make room for it. To me it's all music to my ears my friend.

Thanks for the description....I appreciate it. Feel free to put up a sound clip for us to hear....:) I'm sure mine will be a bit tamer as I have my original dual tails with resonators still in tact. I want something that barks pretty good but isn't over the top for normal day to day driving. This may or may not be the muffler for that. I will soon find out. I also have a Flowmaster Super 40 ready to go if the MWA is too much for me.

OP
OP
Black-Ram15

Black-Ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Bighorn
Thanks for the description....I appreciate it. Feel free to put up a sound clip for us to hear....:) I'm sure mine will be a bit tamer as I have my original dual tails with resonators still in tact. I want something that barks pretty good but isn't over the top for normal day to day driving. This may or may not be the muffler for that. I will soon find out. I also have a Flowmaster Super 40 ready to go if the MWA is too much for me.

You should be fine. Here in California it's against the law to have a loud muffler, like I said it's loud when you want it to be.

I'll load something up for you to hear shortly.