35s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowerWaggon17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I am getting ready to put 35s on my power wagon they are also 12.5 wide on 17 wheels any issues with me doing this?

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
What does the tire manufacturer recommend for wheel width range?

I'm sure plenty of people have done this. But forums aside. You need to check with the manufacturer if your wheel width is within their range of acceptablr.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will work perfectly fine. Any 12.5” wide tire will fit the pw wheels just fine, regardless if the manufacturer recommends a minimum of an 8.5” wide wheel.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
It's too bad that the Duratrac tires don't have the heavier 3 ply sidewall tire carcass. Unfortunately, there are large remote regions of sharp rock roads out here in the western USA of which can be a challenge to even the toughest of tire carcasses. Otherwise, the Duratrac tires have the 3 peak mountain snowflake rating.

Last edited:

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's too bad that the Duratrac tires don't have the heavier 3 ply sidewall tire carcass. Unfortunately, there are large remote regions of sharp rock roads out here in the western USA of which can be a challenge to even the toughest of tire carcasses. Otherwise, the Duratrac tires have the 3 peak mountain snowflake rating.

I’ve been reading! I loved them on my Tacoma...4 sets, no issues! 40,000+ miles per set! By far, the best snow tire I’ve run!

In contrast, they seem to wear a bit faster on the full-size! Still, been a great winter tire for me here in the southern tier of western NY!

I did go to the BFG KM3 as a summer tire! Still happy with a 35” tire!

It shoulda been the factory size!

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am getting ready to put 35s on my power wagon they are also 12.5 wide on 17 wheels any issues with me doing this?

I get some rubbing at full lock turns to the right on my 2015 on factory wheels with 35x12.50r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I just either let it rub or don't turn full lock. Knowing what I know now, I'd still buy the same tires.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get some rubbing at full lock turns to the right on my 2015 on factory wheels with 35x12.50r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I just either let it rub or don't turn full lock. Knowing what I know now, I'd still buy the same tires.
How many miles do you have on them?

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I’ve been reading! I loved them on my Tacoma...4 sets, no issues! 40,000+ miles per set! By far, the best snow tire I’ve run!

In contrast, they seem to wear a bit faster on the full-size! Still, been a great winter tire for me here in the southern tier of western NY!

I did go to the BFG KM3 as a summer tire! Still happy with a 35” tire!

It shoulda been the factory size!
I have 265 75R17 E Duratrac tires on my 1998 Chevrolet K1500. Absolutely, no slip in 4WD. Excellent tires in the snow here.

Running 285 75R17 E Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx (34") on the Power Wagon all year long and they do grip in winter conditions, but not as well as the Duratrac tires. The ST Maxx tires in 4WD will occasionally slightly slip on snow/ ice, but it has never been anything substantial.

The snow here has stayed put since November. After winter ends it become mud.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 265 75R17 E Duratrac tires on my 1998 Chevrolet K1500. Absolutely, no slip in 4WD. Excellent tires in the snow here.

Running 285 75R17 E Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx (34") on the Power Wagon all year long and they do grip in winter conditions, but not as well as the Duratrac tires. The ST Maxx tires in 4WD will occasionally slightly slip on snow/ ice, but it has never been anything substantial.

Why did you go with the coopers on the PW over the Duratrac? How have they lasted?

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I had two pebble punctures between the tread lugs on paved roads while towing in Montana and Iowa with the factory OEM Power Wagon Duratrac tires. 5/32" tread depth left at the last fix and both of the flats were on the same tire during the summer season. The Duratrac tires were too soft for the heavier weight of the Ram 2500.

Figure that I should go with a 3 ply tire carcass for the dirt roads that I drive and needed a Load Range E tire for better handling under load, and it should have good reviews in snow.

I watched the tire puncture test videos on the ST Maxx and STT Pro and they sold me. Could find no other 3 ply carcass tire with as good reviews in snow as the ST Maxx. All of the other 3 ply M/T tire reviews for snow performance weren't impressive.

The ST Maxx tires are wearing excellent. Started out at 18.5/32", whereas Duratrac are 18/32", and KO2 are only 15/32". Current tread depth is 14/32" with 16,000 towing miles on them. Their sizes are a bit oversized. 34.06" tall for the 285 75R17. Fits quite snug into the underneath spare tire location fully inflated. Rotating 5 tires. There's no cuts, scratches, or any signs of tread damage from the hundreds of miles of sharp rock gravel roads driven. Quite impressed with the handling, their extreme cold winter weather grip, and the zero sway with over 1 ton in the bed.

Would like to run a 35 12.5R17 or a 315 70R17 for the larger looks, but I have to be realistic. I live within the Rocky Mountains and deal daily with driving in snow over 6 months per year and mud during the Spring. There's also a real need to be able to run snow chains when traction devices are required. A narrower tire does work better in the snow here. I just don't see any neighbor folks who run wide tires on their pickups in this snow country. Followed pickups in the past with wide M/T tires on three separate occasions in poor winter conditions. Watched them as they spun out and went off the highway. All were lucky.

https://simpletire.com/blog/view/how-do-mud-tires-perform-in-snow

http://resources.tireamerica.com/research/narrow-tires-for-winter-travel-tireamerica

Both my son and I had to bend the parking brake cable bracket out of the way to make clearance for chains/cables on our Ram 2500's. He runs 35", 285 75R18 Toyo, so 1" taller, but not any wider than mine.

Last edited:

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had two pebble punctures between the tread lugs on paved roads while towing in Montana and Iowa with the factory OEM Power Wagon Duratrac tires. 5/32" tread depth left at the last fix and both of the flats were on the same tire during the summer season. The Duratrac tires were too soft for the heavier weight of the Ram 2500.

Figure that I should go with a 3 ply tire carcass for the dirt roads that I drive and needed a Load Range E tire for better handling under load, and it should have good reviews in snow.

I watched the tire puncture test videos on the ST Maxx and STT Pro and they sold me. Could find no other 3 ply carcass tire with as good reviews in snow as the ST Maxx. All of the other 3 ply M/T tire reviews for snow performance weren't impressive.

The ST Maxx tires are wearing excellent. Started out at 18.5/32", whereas Duratrac are 18/32", and KO2 are only 15/32". Current tread depth is 14/32" with 16,000 towing miles on them. Their sizes are a bit oversized. 34.06" tall for the 285 75R17. Fits quite snug into the underneath spare tire location fully inflated. Rotating 5 tires. There's no cuts, scratches, or any signs of tread damage from the hundreds of miles of sharp rock gravel roads driven within the San Rafael Swell, Utah, Sheldon National Antelope Preserve, Nevada, Seminoe Reservoir in Wyoming, and the Saline Valley, California. Quite impressed with the handling, their extreme cold winter weather grip, and the zero sway with over 1 ton in the bed.

Would like to run a 35 12.5R17 or a 315 70R17 for their looks, but I have to be realistic. I live within the Rocky Mountains and deal daily with driving in snow over 6 months per year and mud during the Spring. There's also a real need to be able to run snow chains when traction devices are required. A narrower tire does work better in the snow here. I just don't see any neighbor folks who run wide tires on their pickups in this snow country. Followed pickups in the past with wide M/T tires on three separate occasions in poor winter conditions. Watched them as they spun out and went off the highway. All were lucky.

https://simpletire.com/blog/view/how-do-mud-tires-perform-in-snow

http://resources.tireamerica.com/research/narrow-tires-for-winter-travel-tireamerica

Both my son and I had to bend the parking brake cable bracket out of the way to make clearance for chains/cables on our Ram 2500's. He runs 35", 285 75R18 Toyo, so 1" taller, but not any wider than mine.
Thank you for so much info. Im going to switch from the Ko2 in a month or so. Two sets of them in 45k miles. Its a great tire i just want a bit more milage out of a new set. Also winter performance is important to me so i have that to consider also. I run a 315 70r 17 currently. I think im going to go down to a 285. The Ko2s are just under 34.5 inches tall. You say the 285 75r 17s are about the same height? I do love the look of the 315s but i get smoked on gas and i really dont have the need for a wide tire other than looks. Plus the cost per tire is around $300.

Have you had any warranty issues with them?

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Thank you for so much info. Im going to switch from the Ko2 in a month or so. Two sets of them in 45k miles. Its a great tire i just want a bit more milage out of a new set. Also winter performance is important to me so i have that to consider also. I run a 315 70r 17 currently. I think im going to go down to a 285. The Ko2s are just under 34.5 inches tall. You say the 285 75r 17s are about the same height? I do love the look of the 315s but i get smoked on gas and i really dont have the need for a wide tire other than looks. Plus the cost per tire is around $300.

Have you had any warranty issues with them?
45K is excellent mileage for the KO2 tires. I ran many sets of the previous KO tires for years. First winter season they were fine. 2nd season they hardened up in extreme cold (below zero Fahrenheit) and tended to slide around. I was over inflating the ST Maxx in the center tread to the TPMS specifications, so around 13/32" in the center and 15/32" on the outside lugs. Don't expect a substantial increase in fuel economy due to the ST Maxx are a much heavier and more aggressive tire than the KO2. I have never paid for any tire warranties. The KO2 is also manufactured in a 285 75R17, but it is around 33.8" versus 34.06 for the ST Maxx.

I did see an improvement in my MPG while towing the same trailer at 58 MPH up the entire Central Valley of California in the same conditions. Was 10.0 MPG with the factory Duratrac tires per the digital read out. Last trip it was 10.5 MPG. They are also are 4% taller. So it improved around 1 MPG with the ST Maxx.

Last edited:

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
45K is excellent mileage for the KO2 tires. I ran many sets of the previous KO tires for years. First winter season they were fine. 2nd season they hardened up in extreme cold (below zero Fahrenheit) and tended to slide around. I was over inflating the ST Maxx in the center tread to the TPMS specifications, so around 13/32" in the center and 15/32" on the outside lugs. Don't expect a substantial increase in fuel economy due to the ST Maxx are a much heavier and more aggressive tire than the KO2. I have never paid for any tire warranties. The KO2 is also manufactured in a 285 75R17, but it is around 33.8" versus 34.06 for the ST Maxx.

Took me two sets of tires to get to 45k in milage. I run them around 55 psi and they have lasted me 22k mikes a set.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Took me two sets of tires to get to 45k in milage. I run them around 55 psi and they have lasted me 22k mikes a set.
My son had the same rapid tire wear issues with his BFG KO2 tires which came new on his used purchase of his 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4. The KO2 starts out with even less tread depth than the KO did which was 1/2".

In regards to the ST Maxx, tire longevity and fuel mileage were of importance, but traction in winter and mud conditions were #1. My wife and I felt two quick (micro second) traction loss slips at 45 MPH while ascending in 4 wheel drive a heavy fresh snow covered and icy east side of Vail Pass on I-70 while towing the travel trailer last month in subzero temperatures. The wreckers were clearing a spin out wreck near that spot. The ST Maxx tires do pretty darn good in snow, but they are not invincible to icy winter road conditions. They can be studded for ice. Both my wife's and my daughter's cars I run General Altimax Arctic studded tires during our winters. Under the same winter conditions coming down and over the steep hair pin turns of Hoosier Pass to Breckenridge they held firm. More concerned with my 15' travel trailer sliding out into on coming traffic, but then I run 235 75R15 BFG KO2 tires on it and it stayed put. Carrying chains for both the Power Wagon and for the trailer.

Last edited:

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The ST MAXX will more than likely be my next winter tire, though I will go studded! My other choice would be the General Grabber ATwhatever(2,3...)! Had the AT2s on a Grand Cherokee years ago, as an alternative to the BFG AT! I thought they were excellent snow tires! Again, I’d go studded!

It’s a huge disappointment that the Duratracs don’t perform as well n the Ram as they did on my Tacoma!

332A21EA-57A0-404C-8329-15D39AF8A4BF.jpeg CA123BE7-54D6-4DF1-9C05-FEC5BBAB9E84.jpeg

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The ST MAXX will more than likely be my next winter tire, though I will go studded! My other choice would be the General Grabber ATwhatever(2,3...)! Had the AT2s on a Grand Cherokee years ago, as an alternative to the BFG AT! I thought they were excellent snow tires! Again, I’d go studded!

It’s a huge disappointment that the Duratracs don’t perform as well n the Ram as they did on my Tacoma!

View attachment 157208 View attachment 157209

I miss my Toyota’s!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Grand Mesa

Reaction score

View attachment 157208 View attachment 157209
Too bad that there's no tire manufactured in a 285 80R17 size. It would be the ideal 35" tire for the Power Wagon to get it through deep snow and it still would be the factory stock width for both off road and highway performance. Wish list.

Update: The Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 35x11.50R17 3 ply tire is being manufactured in a Load Range C. This size is approximately the same as a 285 80R17. A skinnier 35x10.50R17 C is another Nitto M/T choice. Unfortunately, the Power Wagon requires at least a Load Range D tire.

The Interco SSR M/T 35x10.50R17 is a Load Range E tire @ 35.3" tall. Being roughly 1/2" skinnier than a 285 width, more closer to a 265 width, it's a pizza cutter.

The new Kenda Klever R/T KR601 35x10.50R17 is a Load Range D All Terrain tire, has a 3 ply sidewall, is siped, and can be studded. Tall and skinny.

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Two naturally caused avalanches came across I-70 yesterday just east of Vail Pass, Colorado (near Frisco). Sometimes even a 35" tire in snow isn't tall enough.

Last edited: