382 Stroker-Build and Lessons Learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I've been working on making my engine bulletproof since mid November of last year, thought I'd share the experience and some lessons learned for anyone else crazy enough to do this!

My truck is a RCSB 2018 4x4 Sport. I bought it a little over two and a half years ago.

Mods going in:
-JG .5 HL Cam package w/mds delete and hellcat lifters
-ARH LT/Catless 1 7/8" headers
-Fastman TB
-BAP
-Torqstorm Supercharger @6-8 pounds boost
-Some suspension upgrades/leveled

My goal was to bullet proof the engine, maybe get a few more HP out of it, but not push the stock trans/driveshafts/axles etc beyond the breaking point and still have a good daily driver. I blew a headgasket (my fault and in another post) and used the opportunity to upgrade.

I found a local machine shop here in the St. Louis area, Precision Engine in Granite City. Don the owner is renowned in this area for building some of the best engines used over at the local speedway. At the time he only had about two weeks of backlog and I figured I'd be putting this thing back together over the Christmas break at the latest.

Covid has basically fubared the supply chain. Getting parts was tough, and I ended up waiting on the engine until about two weeks ago when I brought the short block home.

Don did a complete re-do on the block. He dunked and cleaned, line honed, bored, and assembled the short block for me. They have the right torque plates and equipment and have lots of experience with mopar blocks and 5.7-6.1 hemis. I went with a Scat forged rotating assembly using the SCAT crank, ICON pistons and H-beam connecting rods (I think they're SCAT branded). Upgraded to ARP main bolts and all of the other bearings/rings etc that came in the kit. Cost for the parts was around $2,500 WITH ARP Rod/Crank bolt upgrade. Machine shop work/labor cost about $1,500 and we went with a .030 overbore (which I know people say is too much but if you see how much metal is in these cylinder walls I'm not concerned). Based on the compression ratio I was looking for @ 10.1:1 I went with a setup that got me to 382 CI. I could have done the 392 everyone else does, but I was a little worried about long term reliability/piston speed on those 392 strokers, I guess it's not that much different than what I ended up with, but I didn't have to mess with shaving the heads/deck/thicker head gasket and soak issues to get the specs I wanted so I was good with it.

My heads were OK, but I figured while I had them out, might as well get them cleaned up. Unfortunately with all that time on my hands, I ended up convincing myself to get them ported and refresh the valve seats... Found a phenomenal shop over in St. Louis called stiegemeier porting that ported my heads and cleaned up the intake/exhaust ports. Cost was about $1,500. Did a really good valve job also, no I didn't go with bigger valves and stayed stock, but with these heads and a supercharger velocity was more important than volume.

I worked with Jay on suggesting injectors, went with Fuel Injector Clinic 650s. My old setup was rough on startup, the FI650's are much better and can be dialed in more closely.

My fuel system is a stock pump, stock fuel lines, stock rails, and a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump, and from going through the latest round of tuning where Jay has had to dial back the mixture I'd say it's working fine.

Still running a torqstorm SC, now only about 6 pounds of boost.

Also added a CircleD torque converter with a 3,200-3,400 stall.

Upgraded head bolts to ARPs and a complete felpro gasket set.

Lessons learned:

-Engine install was really not that bad. My help backed out on me so did it myself. I have a lift which made things about 1000 percent easier. I pulled the hood which made it easier to get it in and out. I ended leaving the engine mounts on the frame rails and setting the engine on them, it gives you a cradle you can set the engine down in and still skooch/shimmy in place to mount up to the transmission. Using the hoist and a pry bar it was one of the easier engines I've done. I made up a center lift point using two bolt holes in the middle of the block in the area under the intake manifold and a beefy bracket made with some angle iron I had laying around.

-Torque converter install really simple. Fill with fluid and set on the spindle, takes some back and forth wiggling but eventually just pops into place

-Mounting up trans/engine. This was a PITA. Mostly just getting the flex plate mounted to the torque converter. DON'T TIGHTEN THE BOLTS DOWN until they're all in and started. It's a really close tolerance and you'll kick yourself if you seat them first. Ask me how I know. CircleD kit came with red loctite which I'd strongly encourage folks to use. After getting two lower engine/trans bolts started eventually by tightening them down the trans and engine popped into place. The torque converter has an alignment nub that settles into the center of the flexplate, that was the final bit of resistance.

-Engine Assembly. Nothing crazy here. When you upgrade the crank, and install it into a 3rd gen hemi, you must order a special spacer for the end of the crank outside the block that sets the crank timing gear and water pump into the right spot. Also, as many know, the reluctor wheel/gear (crank position sensor wheel) on the 3rd gen stock 5.7 is a 58 tooth 3 bolt setup. Stroked and stock 6.1 cranks are 4 bolt so you need a new gear/reluctor. The damn gear and spacer don't come with the rotating assembly. Ask me how I know... I ordered on MMX both parts, and was really disappointed at the service from them. Overall my experience with them for various parts and support over the last few months has been awful. Ended up having to go to Manley and re-ordering the reluctor because the MMX part DOESN'T COME WITH BOLTS! And they're a strange size, sort of counter bored but not tapered. Just get the damn part from Molnar Rods directly. And Molnar was awesome to work with, excellent customer service and support. Finally, I ordered a new upgraded timing set. I don't think there's a double chain timing set available for third gen hemis; there's not enough space for it to fit. But with the upgraded chain guide I don't think it's necessary anyway unless you're really spinning up the RPMs. Also upgraded to the hellcat oil pump, got a stroker oriented windage tray, and new ARP oil pan bolts. Also went with a Lokar 24" dipstick tube. THE DIPSTICK TUBE FIT IS LOOSE. There's no bracket to bolt on/hold it in place either, just an o-ring that's barely too small for the application. I ended up carefully using some Permatex black gasket sealant and after it cured the dipstick appears to be good to go (and hasn't leaked yet). On the oil pump, in the end I don't think it's necessary. My oil pressure is too high now and I have to take the freaking oil pan off to change out the spring soon. Stick with the stock pump.

-Wiring Harness/Sensors. Nothing significant here, I left the harness in the truck and worked around it. If I end up having to do this again I think I'll pull the harness. Would have been easier with the engine out, ended up having to re-pull the starter wire bundle out and back through the engine mount to keep it away from the ARH headers. Keep an eye on those grounds, there are two beefy ground wires, one by the upper/rear/passenger side area by the hood shock and one that should mount by the strut tower area on the driver's side. I ended up relocating it closer to the front of the engine for header clearance. Also relocated the emergency neutral transmission cable to further rearward by the firewall. If you miss one of these big grounds your engine won't start and you'll get all sorts of errors.

There is a lot more to the install and little issues that came up but these were the big ones. My impression of the truck now as i'm close to getting it dialed in with Jay is that I'm really happy with this upgrade. The circleD doesn't really affect the driveability, and it feels like it's shifting in the right powerband. My transmission oil temps are a few degrees higher. I'm not chirping in second or third like I've read some other guys are, but the butt dyno tells me I've added HP and torque. I also lost about a pound or two of boost with the head work, sort of surprised but it's what I've experienced. I lowered the rear 2" and added much beefier swing arms and hellwig sway so it plants pretty well, on some roads from a rolling start I break the rear end out without much effort and it's a beast if I'm just mashing it on the backroads.

I'll get the truck dyno'd at some point, still need to finish up a few items and get the A/C recharged. It was a long ordeal but I guess I learned some things and the truck puts a grin back on my face so it was worth it.

20210220_141944.jpg

20210401_192019.jpg

20210403_125223.jpg

20210403_125226.jpg

20210401_192034.jpg

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Finally got the tune dialed in with Jay and am pretty much running ideally for my setup. A bit under 11.5 on the wideband at WOT, the shifts are perfect and things are settling in well. I forgot all of the little tweaks and adjustments you have to do when putting something like this together.

Advice for anyone going beyond a bunch of bolt-ons, especially if you do a power adder, stay away from the boxed tunes... I had to work with Jay for over a week doing multiple runs, logs, videos, etc to get it dialed in. I've never dune a straight dyno-tune and don't recommend it if you can get someone like Jay or Hemifever to help. I know it's difficult with all of this government money floating around and people have swamped the good ones for a while, stick it out and wait if you have to.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
great write up!!!

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I've been working on making my engine bulletproof since mid November of last year, thought I'd share the experience and some lessons learned for anyone else crazy enough to do this!

My truck is a RCSB 2018 4x4 Sport. I bought it a little over two and a half years ago.

Mods going in:
-JG .5 HL Cam package w/mds delete and hellcat lifters
-ARH LT/Catless 1 7/8" headers
-Fastman TB
-BAP
-Torqstorm Supercharger @6-8 pounds boost
-Some suspension upgrades/leveled

My goal was to bullet proof the engine, maybe get a few more HP out of it, but not push the stock trans/driveshafts/axles etc beyond the breaking point and still have a good daily driver. I blew a headgasket (my fault and in another post) and used the opportunity to upgrade.

I found a local machine shop here in the St. Louis area, Precision Engine in Granite City. Don the owner is renowned in this area for building some of the best engines used over at the local speedway. At the time he only had about two weeks of backlog and I figured I'd be putting this thing back together over the Christmas break at the latest.

Covid has basically fubared the supply chain. Getting parts was tough, and I ended up waiting on the engine until about two weeks ago when I brought the short block home.

Don did a complete re-do on the block. He dunked and cleaned, line honed, bored, and assembled the short block for me. They have the right torque plates and equipment and have lots of experience with mopar blocks and 5.7-6.1 hemis. I went with a Scat forged rotating assembly using the SCAT crank, ICON pistons and H-beam connecting rods (I think they're SCAT branded). Upgraded to ARP main bolts and all of the other bearings/rings etc that came in the kit. Cost for the parts was around $2,500 WITH ARP Rod/Crank bolt upgrade. Machine shop work/labor cost about $1,500 and we went with a .030 overbore (which I know people say is too much but if you see how much metal is in these cylinder walls I'm not concerned). Based on the compression ratio I was looking for @ 10.1:1 I went with a setup that got me to 382 CI. I could have done the 392 everyone else does, but I was a little worried about long term reliability/piston speed on those 392 strokers, I guess it's not that much different than what I ended up with, but I didn't have to mess with shaving the heads/deck/thicker head gasket and soak issues to get the specs I wanted so I was good with it.

My heads were OK, but I figured while I had them out, might as well get them cleaned up. Unfortunately with all that time on my hands, I ended up convincing myself to get them ported and refresh the valve seats... Found a phenomenal shop over in St. Louis called stiegemeier porting that ported my heads and cleaned up the intake/exhaust ports. Cost was about $1,500. Did a really good valve job also, no I didn't go with bigger valves and stayed stock, but with these heads and a supercharger velocity was more important than volume.

I worked with Jay on suggesting injectors, went with Fuel Injector Clinic 650s. My old setup was rough on startup, the FI650's are much better and can be dialed in more closely.

My fuel system is a stock pump, stock fuel lines, stock rails, and a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump, and from going through the latest round of tuning where Jay has had to dial back the mixture I'd say it's working fine.

Still running a torqstorm SC, now only about 6 pounds of boost.

Also added a CircleD torque converter with a 3,200-3,400 stall.

Upgraded head bolts to ARPs and a complete felpro gasket set.

Lessons learned:

-Engine install was really not that bad. My help backed out on me so did it myself. I have a lift which made things about 1000 percent easier. I pulled the hood which made it easier to get it in and out. I ended leaving the engine mounts on the frame rails and setting the engine on them, it gives you a cradle you can set the engine down in and still skooch/shimmy in place to mount up to the transmission. Using the hoist and a pry bar it was one of the easier engines I've done. I made up a center lift point using two bolt holes in the middle of the block in the area under the intake manifold and a beefy bracket made with some angle iron I had laying around.

-Torque converter install really simple. Fill with fluid and set on the spindle, takes some back and forth wiggling but eventually just pops into place

-Mounting up trans/engine. This was a PITA. Mostly just getting the flex plate mounted to the torque converter. DON'T TIGHTEN THE BOLTS DOWN until they're all in and started. It's a really close tolerance and you'll kick yourself if you seat them first. Ask me how I know. CircleD kit came with red loctite which I'd strongly encourage folks to use. After getting two lower engine/trans bolts started eventually by tightening them down the trans and engine popped into place. The torque converter has an alignment nub that settles into the center of the flexplate, that was the final bit of resistance.

-Engine Assembly. Nothing crazy here. When you upgrade the crank, and install it into a 3rd gen hemi, you must order a special spacer for the end of the crank outside the block that sets the crank timing gear and water pump into the right spot. Also, as many know, the reluctor wheel/gear (crank position sensor wheel) on the 3rd gen stock 5.7 is a 58 tooth 3 bolt setup. Stroked and stock 6.1 cranks are 4 bolt so you need a new gear/reluctor. The damn gear and spacer don't come with the rotating assembly. Ask me how I know... I ordered on MMX both parts, and was really disappointed at the service from them. Overall my experience with them for various parts and support over the last few months has been awful. Ended up having to go to Manley and re-ordering the reluctor because the MMX part DOESN'T COME WITH BOLTS! And they're a strange size, sort of counter bored but not tapered. Just get the damn part from Molnar Rods directly. And Molnar was awesome to work with, excellent customer service and support. Finally, I ordered a new upgraded timing set. I don't think there's a double chain timing set available for third gen hemis; there's not enough space for it to fit. But with the upgraded chain guide I don't think it's necessary anyway unless you're really spinning up the RPMs. Also upgraded to the hellcat oil pump, got a stroker oriented windage tray, and new ARP oil pan bolts. Also went with a Lokar 24" dipstick tube. THE DIPSTICK TUBE FIT IS LOOSE. There's no bracket to bolt on/hold it in place either, just an o-ring that's barely too small for the application. I ended up carefully using some Permatex black gasket sealant and after it cured the dipstick appears to be good to go (and hasn't leaked yet). On the oil pump, in the end I don't think it's necessary. My oil pressure is too high now and I have to take the freaking oil pan off to change out the spring soon. Stick with the stock pump.

-Wiring Harness/Sensors. Nothing significant here, I left the harness in the truck and worked around it. If I end up having to do this again I think I'll pull the harness. Would have been easier with the engine out, ended up having to re-pull the starter wire bundle out and back through the engine mount to keep it away from the ARH headers. Keep an eye on those grounds, there are two beefy ground wires, one by the upper/rear/passenger side area by the hood shock and one that should mount by the strut tower area on the driver's side. I ended up relocating it closer to the front of the engine for header clearance. Also relocated the emergency neutral transmission cable to further rearward by the firewall. If you miss one of these big grounds your engine won't start and you'll get all sorts of errors.

There is a lot more to the install and little issues that came up but these were the big ones. My impression of the truck now as i'm close to getting it dialed in with Jay is that I'm really happy with this upgrade. The circleD doesn't really affect the driveability, and it feels like it's shifting in the right powerband. My transmission oil temps are a few degrees higher. I'm not chirping in second or third like I've read some other guys are, but the butt dyno tells me I've added HP and torque. I also lost about a pound or two of boost with the head work, sort of surprised but it's what I've experienced. I lowered the rear 2" and added much beefier swing arms and hellwig sway so it plants pretty well, on some roads from a rolling start I break the rear end out without much effort and it's a beast if I'm just mashing it on the backroads.

I'll get the truck dyno'd at some point, still need to finish up a few items and get the A/C recharged. It was a long ordeal but I guess I learned some things and the truck puts a grin back on my face so it was worth it.

View attachment 245095

View attachment 245096

View attachment 245098

View attachment 245099

View attachment 245100

Who did you purchase your stroker kit from?

I want to go this route for my crew cab. I'm worried about 10: anything being too much for pump gas.

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
We purchased it through his parts distributor, I think it was directly with SCAT. I wouldn't worry about the comp ratio, the stock ratio on the Gen III Eagle head trucks is up around 10.5:1

There are a couple of schools of thought on compression ratio, most of the builders I talked to who work on the newer motors were comfortable with the higher comp. Considering I was running 6-8 psi boost on the stock setup I wasn't worried about bringing it down a bit, compression ratio=power, just have to be careful.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
We purchased it through his parts distributor, I think it was directly with SCAT. I wouldn't worry about the comp ratio, the stock ratio on the Gen III Eagle head trucks is up around 10.5:1

There are a couple of schools of thought on compression ratio, most of the builders I talked to who work on the newer motors were comfortable with the higher comp. Considering I was running 6-8 psi boost on the stock setup I wasn't worried about bringing it down a bit, compression ratio=power, just have to be careful.
yea my waverunner motor is built for boost (i think it is 15 lbs) and is a low compression motor - one of the boot hoses blew off one day and it was a dog!!!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That thing sounds mean! Nice write up!

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Thanks! Still tweaking a little but pretty much there. Want to do a 93 octane tune and see if there's much difference.

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
So, another unexpected benefit from this build... MPG increase!

Over the last two years of modding I have slowly deteriorated my MPG from low 20's (21-22) with MDS on and a pretty basic tune, down to 18-ish after the cam upgrade, down a little more to upper/mid 17's after the supercharger.

Now with this final build my highway MPGs have gone way up. I cruise at about 70-75, and my latest few trips I'm averaging around 21-22 MPG again! Talked to Jay, I think it's a combo of the much more precise injectors (fuel injector clinic 650CCs), more lower end torque with the stroker crank, and better flowing heads? Don't know, but I'm pretty damn happy with it!

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
So, final entry into this post for the build!

With the additional cubes, and upsizing the blower pulley because it came loose and when I got if fixed for free under the warranty I went ahead and had them swap it (now on the lowest pulley the Torqstorm can handle), I finally killed my stock fuel pump/regulator... I was trying to tweak the tune with Jay, and kept getting intermittent lean conditions when testing (AFR going from 11.4-13 and more!). Jay and I determined that I'd probably pushed the stock fuel pump/basket/regulator too far and it was failing, fuel pressure was dropping to 40-44 PSI intermittently. I guess I pushed the BAP as far as it could go! As documented on another thread, went ahead and installed a return style fuel system using an MMX dual pump kit, regulator, lines etc. Took a while to get to it done and buttoned up, hate pulling the damn tank, but finally got it all sorted out. Don't ask how much extra the insurance cost... Didn't really gain anything in HP/Performance other than peace of mind that I won't blow the motor up and go lean at max RPM! So, lesson learned and hopefully anyone that follows this for advice will figure out you can only get by on a BAP so long before the stock regulator craps out. Sort of weird behavior with this setup and a boost referenced fuel regulator; at WOT Jay actually had to pull a bit of fueling to get it leaned out enough, the extra pressure kick from the second pump kicking in and boost reference add actually made the injectors act 'fatter' than they were.

https://youtu.be/U-xpSfb9HVg

https://youtu.be/9j2Uzp0vCeU

dingram77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to drop in and say I appreciate your write up on this and time vested in sharing your experience! I’ve got my 14 Ram 5.7 motor pulled, spun a rod bearing, and just trying to decide which route to go?

I’m torn between just starting with the 6.4bge or rebuilding stock setup with forged internals or stroking my 5.7? My big concern is with the stroker kit, going forged pistons, not getting good overall longevity. On top of trying to keep within a budget just trying to determine best route.

My plans are either go high compression, up to 91 octane pump gas, or setup for turbo/supercharge down the road possibly. But leaning towards higher compression NA if I can get decent power out of it just not sure how much power I’ll be gaining with the higher compression and being stroked?

I would like hear your/anyones opinion seeing that you went one route I’d like to go. Thanks in advance!!

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Dingram, you're going through much of the same challenge/thought process I did, appreciate your comments and asking for input.

First thing I'd say, I'd start with whatever budget you think is worth it, and go from there, once you start laying out options and costs, it may be an easier decision. You could simply have the crank polished, clean out the engine, do new bearings/rings/gaskets, ball hone the cylinders and call it a day! Or if you're like me you see this as a prime opportunity to have some fun, which should be the point of all of this right?

IF you stuck with your current block, or go with another 5.7, you'll be able to re-use most of your parts and save $. Assuming you have relatively high miles, you could refresh your existing heads, get all new fasteners, gaskets, and be in pretty good shape. IF you go with a BGE, you'll have to be more creative and spend more, consider that you'll need new headers and probably exhaust, and unless you buy a rebuilt/new BGE long block, you'll have to do intake, heads, small extenders for a few sensors, timing cover? Oil pump? etc.

On stroking versus non, remember that for the most part, the BGE and 6.4 blocks are basically the same geometry of the 5.7s, just stroked. The BGE/6.4 blocks have added strength added to them, and piston oilers, but the rest is pretty much identical.

On forged components, yes the 2618 aluminum pistons are going to expand more, and potentially not last as long, but they're probably a must if you want to go forced induction... See below, if you have it professionally assembled, forged pistons can last for a long, long time reliably. Gapping is important, if you gap the rings for forced induction later and run N/A, you're going to get some blowby and potentially a bit of oil consumption, make sure to get a catch can and pay attention to your PCV system.

I think you can run high compression regardless, you could run 11:1 or higher IF you have a GREAT TUNE and potentially you get the right CAM SPECS to support it, and you'll need some type of intercooler. I'm running 10.4:1 and run a 91 or 93 octane tune. Compression equals HP... Before I stroked/forged mine, I ran stock with the supercharger and a Greene cam/tune and stock compression and ran fine.

All of these factors went into my own decision process. I was already too far down the rabbit hole with my 5.7 with upgrades, bolt ons, cam, heads etc to bite the bullet and dump another 6-8K for a BGE. It would have been fun, but I elected to stroke mine to 382 and forge everything. With forged components, these engines are damn near indestructible in my opinion.

I will let you in on one critical factor though, and I highly recommend not skimping on it if you go the forged/stroked route, Use a very good machine/engine/speed shop if you can. If you have it line honed, balanced, decked, bored to the right size to clean up the bores, new cam bearings installed, with a Torque Plate to maximize bore consistency, cleaned professionally etc, it's worth every penny. Yeah, you may spend $1,500-2k for a really good shop, but that work will ultimately result in the best motor possible with the best chance of making it many many miles down the road. I honestly believe it could be the difference between a 50,000 mile motor and a 300,000 motor, assuming the tune is good and you keep up with maintenance.