3rd Gen 1500 owners beware!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the 3rd truck I've seen with an issue similar to this. Slight vibration when turning at higher speeds, vibration when driving fast, and a clap in the rear. I went under my truck yesterday. I jacked it up in my backyard, put 2 jact stands under the rear axle and put in in drive to ab 55 and found the vibration was still there... looked under the truck and the drive shaft was wobbling. Upon further inspection I found the 4 bolts holding the drive shaft to the rear diff were loose. In fact 1 was missing. Tightened the 3 remaining bolts and bought 4 new ones from my local dealer. Please make sure your 4 bolts are tight

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This is the 3rd truck I've seen with an issue similar to this. Slight vibration when turning at higher speeds, vibration when driving fast, and a clap in the rear. I went under my truck yesterday. I jacked it up in my backyard, put 2 jact stands under the rear axle and put in in drive to ab 55 and found the vibration was still there... looked under the truck and the drive shaft was wobbling. Upon further inspection I found the 4 bolts holding the drive shaft to the rear diff were loose. In fact 1 was missing. Tightened the 3 remaining bolts and bought 4 new ones from my local dealer. Please make sure your 4 bolts are tight

In my 21 years as a dealership technician the only time I have seen these bolts come lose is if someone did not torque them correctly or put Loctite on them like they come from the assembly line. I have seen them break before from being overtorqued.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

hope you put a little lock tight on those dame bolts

OP
OP
jmd4100

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe you should change the U joints now .I would
Yes I did put loctite. I always put something on bolts whenever I do work to anything really. Be it loctite or never seize. Thinking ab u joints. They both still seem fine though. I'll order them and change them when I notice them get bad

OP
OP
jmd4100

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
good luck .Nice job finding and fixing the problem could of been bad stuck late at night with the drive shaft .
Glad I found it definitely but what a shame it got to that point. I've seen 3 trucks total with this exact issue... could definitely be that they had work done to them and weren't torqued down properly, but I havent done any driveshaft work since I got it so it really doesnt make sense

Octane

Reaction score
A racer I knew years ago(in 1973) had a 1973 camaro pro stocker that lost the driveshaft at 143 mph.Ain't never ever a good thing to shed a part.Torque it,glue it but make sure it stays.And he never raced again.His disability check was always on time.