4.7 l problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Buster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
So I went from Alabama to Mississippi which is about 185 miles one way, I checked the oil before I left and when I arrived I noticed that the all the oil that I put in was burned and I’ve had this problem since I’ve got the truck. Was wondering if any of y’all have this issue too, what are some things I can do to help this motor bc I don’t like how it’s burning so much oil, if I’m traveling it burns less oil however if I’m sitting it drinks it. Thanks in advance. Truck has about 200,000 on the od

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PCV valve? Have you replaced that? Take off your oil cap with the engine running. Set it on top of the threads. Don't screw it in. This will give you a good idea how much blow-by you have. For example, with my truck. I can do this, and the cap just sits there. Doesn't move at all. If your cap is slightly dancing around, that's normal. But it should be able to stay in place. If you have so much blow-by it just blows off. Id say excessive crankcase pressure, due to a bad PCV valve or worn out rings.

OP
OP
Andrew Buster

Andrew Buster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Snake15eyes1998, I haven’t I thought that was only on diesels it I will tomorrow and thank you

MayerMR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 & 2014
Engine
3.7 & 3.0 EcoDiesel
when I just rebuilt a 4.7L that had 180k miles on it, every piston had at least one stuck ring, if not all of them stuck in their grooves. I struggled to get them out. But I was replacing the pistons in the rebuild so I didn't try too hard. Not sure what you could do to try to get them freed up, but I would agree, I think you are in need of a refreshing.

Frank A Guerra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when I just rebuilt a 4.7L that had 180k miles on it, every piston had at least one stuck ring, if not all of them stuck in their grooves. I struggled to get them out. But I was replacing the pistons in the rebuild so I didn't try too hard. Not sure what you could do to try to get them freed up, but I would agree, I think you are in need of a refreshing.
When u rebuilt your 4.7 did u bored it out? I'm asking because I am doing the same thing but I had it bored out an I gotten oversize pistons.now I'm looking to see if I should get different connect rods or does it even matter.the meantime I installed a 5.9l in my 05 ram1500 that had a 4.7. but I guess I was bored an now I'm taking it out an putting it in my 03 dakota...lol 05e95e88c6da3e3abbf063ac7381c135.jpg4b7d43df12e86808b1bba587b2fdc74d.jpg

Sent from my W-U300 using Tapatalk

MayerMR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 & 2014
Engine
3.7 & 3.0 EcoDiesel
When u rebuilt your 4.7 did u bored it out? I'm asking because I am doing the same thing but I had it bored out an I gotten oversize pistons.now I'm looking to see if I should get different connect rods or does it even matter.the meantime I installed a 5.9l in my 05 ram1500 that had a 4.7. but I guess I was bored an now I'm taking it out an putting it in my 03 dakota...lol

I'd call you a glutton for punishment swapping engines left and right like that.

But to answer your question - no, I didn't bore it out. I just honed the cylinders is all. As far as connecting rods goes - are you building anything special or just doing a rebuild? If you aren't building for power then I don't see any reason to not just use the original rods, assuming they are in good shape.

Frank A Guerra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd call you a glutton for punishment swapping engines left and right like that.

But to answer your question - no, I didn't bore it out. I just honed the cylinders is all. As far as connecting rods goes - are you building anything special or just doing a rebuild? If you aren't building for power then I don't see any reason to not just use the original rods, assuming they are in good shape.
Yes I want to pull as much power I can from that little beast..as for as punishment I don't mind it at all. It keep me from going crazy. My dad just pass away an my ex took my son from me again on his birthday on holloween.to put the icing on the cake .my two bros don't talk to me an it's been 15 years since we talk.i haven't gotten a good night sleep in years...**** I'm already putting the engine in my dakota ..

Sent from my W-U300 using Tapatalk