4.7 oiling woes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
What else is new.
So, I now have the all too common pressure drop at idle while in gear issue.
Seems to be a very common problem with 453 different reasons for it to happen.

Bad sender. Bad gauge. Bad sender wiring. Bad cluster. Bad pump.
Sludge. Dirty screen. Wrong oil grade, Etc...
Also a TSB for a pcm update that corrects this issue as well.
WTF???

I'm bringing it in next week to have it looked at. Gonna drop pan and check/clean screen, inspect for sludge and take it from there depending on findings.
Some people resolve it with a new sender. Some end up with a new engine.
I've spent countless hours researching this crap and it's absolutely astonishing how the same identical symptoms can yield so many different causes. My head is spinning in circles from this crap.

Truck runs perfect other than the occasional cold start clack which only lasts a few seconds. When the gauge drops to zero and the light comes on the engine doesn't even flinch. The only thing that happens is I get the **** scared out of me every time it happens.

Here is what commonly happens and exactly what happens to me:
Warm engine, in gear, stopped with foot on brake (red light/stop sign), needle suddenly drops to zero, check gauge light and warning chime come on. Gauge either springs back on it's own after a second or 2, or upon giving it some gas.

This 4.7 crap is going to give me a stroke. I'm scared to death of it. It's almost like I'm just waiting for it to blow up every time I turn the key.
Ugh...if knew then what I know now...

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Will anything else fit these trucks without major modifications?
5.2 5.7 5.9? Anything other than a 4.7? Looks like I'm doing a new motor and I really don't want to put another stupid 4.7 in it. I also don't want to spend more than the small fortune this is already gonna cost.
I'm looking at what, 4-5k to put a new(reman) 4.7 in?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Will anything else fit these trucks without major modifications?
5.2 5.7 5.9? Anything other than a 4.7? Looks like I'm doing a new motor and I really don't want to put another stupid 4.7 in it. I also don't want to spend more than the small fortune this is already gonna cost.
I'm looking at what, 4-5k to put a new(reman) 4.7 in?

I had a V10 stuffed into my truck when the original 4.7l decided to scatter with only a few hundred miles on it. So yes damn near any dodge motor will fit with the right parts. If you are gonna replace your engine go with a hemi. A hemi will drop right in with the least number of headaches.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Screw it. I'm going shopping for a new truck today. If I can get the truck I want for the price I want I might just go for it. Wish me luck!

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are lots of nice trucks out there dude. Life is short. Good luck!

Not sure if your situation allows it, but maybe worth keeping the 4.7 truck around as a project for what you will get for it. Take your time fixing it and then decide to sell or keep.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I'm really not feeling like having payments again but I need dependability.
My bad for not researching the 4.7 before buying. I assumed it was a good motor because there are like a gajillion of them out there. Buying another new or slightly used truck would give me dependability and peace of mind. My old man feels horrible about selling it to me but he had no idea the nightmare it would become. It's a shame because it only has 105k and drives like new.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Out of curiosity...would running a few tanks of premium help clear out some of the gunk or is it a waste of money?

JohnHenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I'm really not feeling like having payments again but I need dependability.
My bad for not researching the 4.7 before buying. I assumed it was a good motor because there are like a gajillion of them out there. Buying another new or slightly used truck would give me dependability and peace of mind. My old man feels horrible about selling it to me but he had no idea the nightmare it would become. It's a shame because it only has 105k and drives like new.

4.7's have been drastically improved 08+ . (check my sig) Sorry to read about your bad luck.

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've yet to have a single problem with my 4.7, just turned over to 69k the other day. Runs strong and even stronger with the mods I've done.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Don't get me wrong, mine runs and drives magnificent. Got plenty of power and runs smooth as glass.
It's just the symptoms and research indicate it's a ticking time bomb.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Yeah! Ended up putting in a new engine.
I now have the million dollar truck!
I bought some time with seafoam and synth, but the d/s head gasket went so I didn't feel it was worth it to repair so I put the new engine in.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Upgraded 4.7
I thought about the Hemi for about 2 minutes and said screw it. Too much work and money.
And I needed the truck back on the road asafp.
No problem getting up and going, she moves just fine.
A 4.7 rebuild with the upgrades should run forever.