4.7 Timing Cover Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caleb Steel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2011 Ram 1500 SLT 4.7

Hello. I noticed today that my timing cover seal and my water pump gasket were both leaking a small amount of coolant. It wasn't enough to notice on the coolant level, but I kept smelling coolant in the engine bay and I finally saw it.

I'll cut right to the chase here. I purchased the only listed timing cover seal kit (Fel-Pro, in this case), and I am thoroughly unimpressed. I watched a video where a guy had a 4.7 that called for the new style seal kit, and he instead purchased a seal kit listed for an earlier 4.7 variant. In case I've lost anyone here, the issue is where the old style kit included an actual gasket that sealed the entire outside edge of the timing cover, the new style kit has some dinky little o-rings for the water channels, and a couple of tubes of RTV silicone to make the outer seal. The idea is at the specified 43 ft/lbs of torque, the o-rings compress to the same thickness as the healthy bead of sealant you apply around the edge. The issue, as any rational person may infer, is that when you're leaned over the bumper trying to get the timing cover in place without knocking off your silicone, gravity has its way with the little o-rings. I even tried to tack them down with RTV but it wasn't good enough.

I didn't even want to try it because it just seemed stupid. Then I read in the factory service manual that that was the correct kit, and it made the process seem like a piece of cake. Not for me. I really thought I had all three o-rings in place, and I had most of my bolts in when I ran into one of the o-rings, sitting directly over a hole. So, I don't know what our Mopar friends were thinking, but this is asinine.

I've seen several things about people using the old style seal kit on the new 4.7s. Can anyone confirm that there are not any negative consequences in doing that?

Thanks.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here is a pic of my 2002 1500/4.7L after installing head gaskets.

Mine took the one-piece gasket.

20190414_181458.jpeg

If everything matches, why not?

Just my opinion.

Hopefully, someone with more experience with this will chime in.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don’t know about silicone for holding the O-Rings in place,instead use some wheel bearing grease or similar,I’ve been very successful with this approach.

OP
OP
C

Caleb Steel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t know about silicone for holding the O-Rings in place,instead use some wheel bearing grease or similar,I’ve been very successful with this approach.

Daw - I'm not saying it's not easily done by someone more skilled than I lol, and I could probably get it on the second stab. But, rather than potentially wasting another ~$16 on what I consider to be a poorly designed seal, if the old style fits I think I'd rather use that

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That’s all good, just saying the grease works with any O-Ring . Good luck with the do over.

Rob G B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Caleb, I am running into the same thing with my 2012. I don’t like the idea of just using RTV sealant instead of a proper gasket but that is all I seem to be able to get.

I’m wondering if you did go with the older style gasket, and if so, how did it work for you?

Thanks very much.

Rob G B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Caleb, I am running into the same thing with my 2012. I don’t like the idea of just using RTV sealant instead of a proper gasket but that is all I seem to be able to get.

I’m wondering if you did go with the older style gasket, and if so, how did it work for you?

Thanks very much.
I found some more information on this in a YouTube video where someone with a newer 4.7 engine put in the 1st Design (TCS46000) full gasket and found that the extra width pushed his tensioner pulley out by basically the width of the gasket and caused belt alignment issues with the tensioner. That makes sense since the belt tensioner bolts to the timing cover. He went on to say that the 2nd design kits, in this case the FEL-PRO TCS46022, includes o-rings that should not be used since there are no o-ring grooves (which is true - the timing cover and the block are flat mated). The YouTube commenter went on to say that if the o-rings in the FEL=PRO kit are used it will crack the timing cover because they are too thick. Plus, how do you hold the o-rings in when installing?

The only thing that came off the engine when I took it apart is RTV material from the factory build.

So has anyone done this job on a 4th Gen 4.7 engine? If so, did you just use RTV? Any information or experience anyone has on this is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: