$440 eBay Limited Slip Kit w/Diff, Rebuild kit... Long Term Reliability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vne182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking at adding a limited-slip to my truck. I don't mind changing the axle fluid as recommended and keeping a clutch pack happy with the correct fluid/additive. I also won't be doing much rock crawling, just the usual 4wd roads with a lot of snow. I've been considering an Eaton limited-slip similar to the OE option, something rebuildable. Of course, I'll be requiring a rebuild kit for the new carrier bearings and shims during installation. Has anyone had any experience yet installing the following ebay kit?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2017-...217138?hash=item3fb85fab32:g:CrYAAOSwM5tcTywm

Thank you!

OP
OP
Vne182

Vne182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know if Eaton makes a TrueTrac for the 2011+ 9.25zf rear axle. I just want something I can drop in without machining parts or buying a new axle shaft. Literally, I just want to swap the carrier.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I've only ever seen a truck with one of these. If you don't mind noise from the rear when turning you'll be ok. I've heard they lock up pretty good too and easy to install whick I really like. I'd go that route easiest and most positive lock id say. Definately read some reviews on the product though.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Double post, but I'd go with Mopar/OEM unless you're frequenting the drag strip or rock crawling.

Been toying with the idea myself, but 4auto works so well I can't justify the labor.

OP
OP
Vne182

Vne182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Double post, but I'd go with Mopar/OEM unless you're frequenting the drag strip or rock crawling.

Been toying with the idea myself, but 4auto works so well I can't justify the labor.

I've popped a CV axle while trying to get through some rocky stuff due to using a bit too much momentum because of the open rear diff.

With my 35's and 3.55 gears, my truck could really use some shorter gearing.
Plus, -2009 used-front diff carrier assemblies are getting pretty cheap. It's tempting to swap for an earlier diff to be able to swap gears. I don't know if it's a simple bolt-on into a 2012 (possibly with 2009 cv axles and driveshaft).
My truck cruises at 85MPH but 1st gear sure seems tall with these tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vne182

Vne182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a lot of fun installing the limited slip! The diff came in a Yukon box, not sure why it's not advertised as Yukon Gear on eBay.
I only swapped the diff. The bearings looked great on the pinion along with all the seals, the truck has 90k miles without much towing so I didn't bother rebuilding the whole axle.
Rather than shims you center the diff using adjustable bearing caps. You access those bearing caps through the axle tubes. I built a long extension to screw in/out the 36mm bearing caps. I went to Home Depot, bought a 3' 1/2" threaded steel pipe and 1x1/2 threaded couplers which are fairly close to 36mm once you grind/file them smooth. I welded the couplers onto the pipe and used a 36mm wheel bearing socket to turn the pipe. A local axle shop was nice enough to press on the new bearings onto the new diff for me for free.
I centered the diff for 8 thousands of rear backlash. I then tightened each bearing cap to 75'Ibs. And the new diff with my original ring gear was back to factory specs.

20190912_190113.jpg

20190911_190509.jpg

OP
OP
Vne182

Vne182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, I was only able to add 2 quarts of fluid with the factor fill hole on the front left side of the axle housing. The fill hole seems to be too low and lets the fluid run out before you can add all of the recommended 4.9 pints! This must be why there was a recall to add a fill hole higher on the diff cover (which my truck did not have). So I parked the truck on my neighbor's steep driveway and was able to add the additional 1/2 quart.
I added Yukon's recommended limited slip additive and switched to standard diff fluid rather than synthetic.
I'm super happy as the rear is quiet and doesn't seem to be running too hot.

This was a fun install but requires a gear backlash guage ($20 Amazon) and an accurate torque wrench. I also would recommend just buying the $40 preload wrench rather than making your own. My tool was a pain as it would constantly push through the end cap, ended up wasting too much time.

Long story short, the $400 eBay limited slip was a great install and well worth the money. The installation is a fun learning experience if you haven't worked on an axle before and you save yourself $500 doing the install yourself.

Amazon: OTC 6602 Differential Bearing Preload Wrench

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vne182

Vne182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I almost forget, the truck now leaves two stripes of r.ubber as she should have from the beginning! The limited slip is quiet but seems to distribute torque to the opposite tire with ease. I love the driveability!

Last edited:

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Nice detailed follow up, how is it leaving corners hard where you’d normally lift and spin the inside tire?

Did you end up going with your original link kit? What kind of labor totals do you estimate?

OP
OP
Vne182

Vne182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice detailed follow up, how is it leaving corners hard where you’d normally lift and spin the inside tire?

Did you end up going with your original link kit? What kind of labor totals do you estimate?

You can now feel the truck want to straighten itself out when leaving a tight corner with both tires putting down power.
I did buy that diff that was listed with that link. The included rebuild kit was also high quality with good bearings.

As for labor, I really took my time and got it done in two evenings. I ended up doing new rear brakes as well. Like I said, just get that preload tool off Amazon, don't bother building your own. If I would have had the right tool it would have been done in 3-4 hours.