Swapping Front Diff Gears for 2012 1500 - Options Using 2009 Diff???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vne182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
'm loving the refresh on my 2012 Ram 1500, I just rebuilt the front suspension with new Icon Stage2 Coil-overs and some boxed upper control arms. For Labor Day, I did some pretty gnarly trail riding and loved the extra clearance and traction from my new 35"s. There was one casualty as I did manage to crush one side of my dual exhaust. I pulled the muffler and am currently just running a 3" turndown tip where the muffler used to be. The truck isn't horribly loud since I'm still running the factory manifolds and cats.

My next mod is a limited-slip. Even though the truck does surprisingly well offroad, there were a couple of situations where a rear tire was in the air spinning. This can be very bad for a front cv axle joint in 4-low with the majority of the torque sent to the weaker front axles which suddenly get traction when articulating through very uneven terrain. I've blown a front axle cv joint before while trying to scramble to get traction in this manner. I've also blown a power steering pump when trying to dig out of deep snow/ice, full throttle and turning back and forth is a also a bad combo for that PS pump. It would be a lot easier on my truck if that rear axle could maintain traction through both wheels.

I ordered an RMS (Yukon) limited-slip diff off eBay with a rebuild kit for $440. This seems like a good fit for our snowy conditions and my occasional offroad use, the wife usually drives the truck in the snow.

While I'm rebuilding that rear axle I would love to also install a set of 4.56 gears to get back some acceleration and ease some of the wear and tear on the old transmission. Or should I consider 4.92s? Of course, this brings up the issue with the 2011+ Ram 1500's and their unswappable front diff gears which are welded in.

So here are my questions. What is the smartest way to swap gearing?

Option A. Buy a cheap/used $250 2009 Front Diff and rebuild it with 4.56 gears? Is a 2009 front diff assembly a true swap out for a 2012? Would I need to get the 2009 front driveshaft? Would I need to build an adapter to mount the diff assembly? Would I need a new pair of 2009 CV axles and would they fit through my 2012 wheel hubs okay?

Option B. Stick with the 2012 Front Diff but swap in a 2009 diff case with 4.56 gears? This seems like a no brainer if a different carrier would fit, one that I could bolt a 4.56 ring gear to.

Option C. Don't bother swapping out the 3.55 Factory gears.

Money/reliability are my biggest concerns. The truck has 90k miles,

Last edited:

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Following for info. I'm in a similar situation

8732cuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 3.55 vs 4.10 not worth the money in my opinion. Why don't you use rebel front diff? Guy at rack and pinion in Houston Texas told me that's the best option. Google then he had a ton of knowledge on this subject

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember correctly from my swap, the CV axles from the 2009 are needed, and the driveshaft needs to be replaced as well. For context, I switched from 3.55 to 4.10s in my 2012.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Vne182

Vne182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 3.55 vs 4.10 not worth the money in my opinion. Why don't you use rebel front diff? Guy at rack and pinion in Houston Texas told me that's the best option. Google then he had a ton of knowledge on this subject

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Rebel front diff?

rjames78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very interested I picked up front rears with 392 but am going to a 37” tire and would love 456 so this could change my whole approach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rjames78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is rebel front diff equipped with a limited slip? Or not welded ? Or stronger ? Deeper gears ? I’m just curious if the specific advantages as opposed to fronts of other 1500 thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk