4WD hitching when engaged/NO Serv 4WD light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyTwoRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013/2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone, I just joined (hope I’m posting in the right place) because I’m at a loss to what is wrong with my truck. First off, I have two Rams,I have a 2017 Sublime Ram with low miles and no issues(knock on wood) but the trouble is with my 2013 Laramie 1500, 5.7 6 speed auto, 139k and I’ve had no problems until today. About a month ago I used the 4WD while moving my trailer across the yard to avoid tearing it up. It worked great as always. Today we had some winter weather so while sitting still I put the transmission in neutral, turned the transfer knob to 4WD Auto. The 4WD light came on, no noises or anything, I put it in drive, started to go and it felt as if my reared was blown. In 2WD there are 0 problems no matter how you drive it. It has some light performance mods and sometimes I drive it a bit hard but have never heard any noises or felt anything. After letting the truck sit all day I started it cold (35 degrees) and noticed a metallic jingling sound that went away after about a minute. I noticed a similar sound while driving a little later. At no point of engaging the 4WD did the Serv 4WD light come on and no check engine light. I’m pretty handy with a wrench but I’m unfamiliar with newer systems. I had an 85 Chevy 4x4, 02 Dodge Ram 4x4 but those were mostly mechanical. Sorry if this has been drawn out, hope someone can give me some kind of help in the Ram brotherhood.

OP
OP
TommyTwoRams

TommyTwoRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013/2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone, I just joined (hope I’m posting in the right place) because I’m at a loss to what is wrong with my truck. First off, I have two Rams,I have a 2017 Sublime Ram with low miles and no issues(knock on wood) but the trouble is with my 2013 Laramie 1500, 5.7 6 speed auto, 139k and I’ve had no problems until today. About a month ago I used the 4WD while moving my trailer across the yard to avoid tearing it up. It worked great as always. Today we had some winter weather so while sitting still I put the transmission in neutral, turned the transfer knob to 4WD Auto. The 4WD light came on, no noises or anything, I put it in drive, started to go and it felt as if my reared was blown. In 2WD there are 0 problems no matter how you drive it. It has some light performance mods and sometimes I drive it a bit hard but have never heard any noises or felt anything. After letting the truck sit all day I started it cold (35 degrees) and noticed a metallic jingling sound that went away after about a minute. I noticed a similar sound while driving a little later. At no point of engaging the 4WD did the Serv 4WD light come on and no check engine light. I’m pretty handy with a wrench but I’m unfamiliar with newer systems. I had an 85 Chevy 4x4, 02 Dodge Ram 4x4 but those were mostly mechanical. Sorry if this has been drawn out, hope someone can give me some kind of help in the Ram brotherhood.
So incase anyone has an issue like this, I found it was an issue with the transfer case motor. The motor itself was easy to remove. Be sure to mark the location of everything. With some patience and careful movements everything comes apart easily. I disassembled the motor and found it was not working correctly due to corrosion. I cleaned and greased the unit. Put it back and and everything works fine again.

OP
OP
TommyTwoRams

TommyTwoRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013/2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello my fellow Ram-tonians. So I’m gonna lay it all out for ya all. So here it is…. I’m a dumba**, I figured out the issue with my 4WD. It was the f*%#€ tires!!!! So my tears were bald and I had a set of 4 decent t tires to put on until I received my set. When they were being mounted they found a bad slice in one. So they swapped the two on the rear. Tech never looked at the size and I really didn’t either. So fronts were 275/60R20. Rears were 275/55R20. Not much of a difference right, only have a size right? Umm, **** no. It absolutely threw off every sensor, screwed everything up, wicked hahd bub! But now I’m a better man, a wiser man, and a poor man cuz I dropped $1350 on 4 new **** Cepek Trail Country EXP 275/65R20’s. I don’t need the 4WD most of the time now. Pics don’t due them justice, it is winter up here in the Big Maine Woods though. ✌️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 2