Intermittent no start, click troubleshooting 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClarkR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7

Intermittent no start, single click, jump out of the cab, seconds later hear another second click from fuse box. Checked relays, reseated them. 12.4 volts at the battery. Changed the battery twice now 1 year apart of each other, no love. When finally fired up have 14.4Volts on the system, steady. Removed Alternator and battery from the suspect list.

Key fob turn ignition (hate it). I still have to jump the starter solenoid, but need second set of hands, spinal injury, can't solo test.

It will start in this state most time with my jump box, putting out 14.4 volts. Seems silly but...

Haven't changed any other stock parts out, just the battery. Suspecting starter (less likely) or ignition switch (high suspect).

OP
OP
ClarkR

ClarkR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ken, I'll get the pin out setting and test it, thanks for the info. (side note) When it fails to start it will do it with both the key and/or remote start feature if that has any bearing on the issue.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
. (side note) When it fails to start it will do it with both the key and/or remote start feature if that has any bearing on the issue.

I think that probably further indicates
that it's not an ignition (WIN module) issue, and more likely to be a solenoid/relay issue.

In multiple threads I've seen in the past, when the WIN module failed, remote start still worked.

OP
OP
ClarkR

ClarkR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that probably further indicates
that it's not an ignition (WIN module) issue, and more likely to be a solenoid/relay issue.

In multiple threads I've seen in the past, when the WIN module failed, remote start still worked.
Noted, I'll go through the starter relay and if it still acts up, swap the starter, thanks for all your assistance in this matter!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Noted, I'll go through the starter relay and if it still acts up, swap the starter, thanks for all your assistance in this matter!
The starter relay is just a standard 5 pin 40 amp relay,you can get at any autoparts outlet That's if it turns out to be a bad relay

ric221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In addition to the info you've received there is a possibility that your RF hub my be on the fritz. I'm not sure of the steps needed to check it's operation but it could be your culprit.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ric, ya got me on that one, first time I ever heard of that part/location.

It's on the rear bulkhead, under the liner/cover in the back of your rear seat area.

Though possible, I thnk the RF hub has a lower probability of being the culprit. The RF hub receives the signal from your key fob to unlock doors, start the engine, as well as other stuff.

I had to replace my RF hub and hub antenna when I installed my Mopar oem remote start kit.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7

Intermittent no start, single click, jump out of the cab, seconds later hear another second click from fuse box. Checked relays, reseated them. 12.4 volts at the battery. Changed the battery twice now 1 year apart of each other, no love. When finally fired up have 14.4Volts on the system, steady. Removed Alternator and battery from the suspect list.

Key fob turn ignition (hate it). I still have to jump the starter solenoid, but need second set of hands, spinal injury, can't solo test.

It will start in this state most time with my jump box, putting out 14.4 volts. Seems silly but...

Haven't changed any other stock parts out, just the battery. Suspecting starter (less likely) or ignition switch (high suspect).
Ahhh! The "good old days" come to mind! ;)
I was working WAY long ago at a Ford dealer (nigh on to 50 years). I drove a 1964.5 Mustang with the 260 V-8, and a generator.
Some mouth breather relieved me of my new battery one day. Because the car had a 4-speed manual and a generator with residual magnets, I was able to isolate the battery cables, turn on the key, and push start the car and drive it to a parts store and buy a new battery!
gone are those days!

lgjhn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Had a very similar problem on my 2015 ECD. I troubleshot it to the starter. I was ready to pull the starter, got under there and found the nut on the solenoid terminal as loose as a goose. Cleaned it all up, tightened it down and was good ever since.
Probably came off the assembly line only hand tight or not tightened down properly.

OP
OP
ClarkR

ClarkR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Noted, that's the next step if it continues to be an issue. Swapped out the starter relay yesterday after the one click, pulled the old relay, jumped pins 3 and 5 in the TIPM, starter turned. Time will tell, thanks for the info.