4x4 not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avnsteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
idk atm
Hello all, first time owner 98 1500 (360/automatic (unknown model tranny) 4x4 with 130K miles. I've been in the jeep scene for years, this is my first Dodge. I pulled the transfer case to 4H and noticed the front wheels are not pulling, shifted to 4L and still nothing. Is this strictly a mechanical xfer case engagement or is there an electrical doohickey that may have failed? Also, after some searching, I cannot determine what model tranny/xfer case I have, do you know what it is, or how I can determine for myself?

TIA

edit: also noticed the O/D button on shifter stem is not lit, nor does it appear to affect transmission while driving...maybe related?

Last edited:

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I believe the 4x4 system is partially mechanical (shifting the transfer case) and partially controlled by vacuum. On the front axle there should be a box looking thins with wires and vacuum hoses running to it. It's located on the passenger half of the axle. I'd take a look at that.

OP
OP
A

avnsteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
idk atm
thanks for the reply, Renix era jeep XJ's had a 3 piece axle shaft with a vacuum operated engagement mechanism. what an abortion that was, I hope this is better...

OP
OP
A

avnsteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
idk atm
it was a rubber vacuum line running along the cross member into transmission. glad it was simple!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should have a 46re trans....that thingy is call a cad (central axle disconnect) it is vacuum powered...the vacuum moves a shift fork over to engage the axle and this movment also triggers your 4wd light (if your switch is working properly)

Glad you got this figured out :High 5:

your tcase is an Np231 or if your lucky an NP231HD....you might recall from the jeep scene this was a desirable tcase for them being chain driven...on these trucks its the weaker one in the lineup..the 2500 and 3500 got a NP241

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicholas17smith