MIL or service engine soon light not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McTrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just bought a 2011 Ram 3500 4X4 SRW with a 6.7 Cummins. Everything was good until I noticed the remote start would start the engine for about 15 seconds then it would shut off. In my experience that means there is a trouble code but the service engine soon light is not on. So I plugged in my Autel scanner and sure enough there are six codes all pertaining to emissions related stuff all of which were active (not stored) and has triggered the MIL. Still no light on the dash. I went to the body module in the scanner and started to manually trigger the dash lights. All of them work but the service engine soon light. I do live in a emissions control area in AZ and probably wont pass smog if the service engine light does not come on and go out when the ignition is first triggered.

I have fixed all of the issues that triggered the codes, so no trouble codes now. I figure if some body pulled the cluster and some how broke the bulb or damaged the circuit board I would be getting a P0650 code. Is there a way to disable the MIL with alfaOBD or some other 3rd party scan tool? Does anybody out there know how to delete the MIL with out triggering P0650 code? I'm not sure what to do next. Thinking I'm going to pull the cluster next and check it. Just wanted to know if there is a code fix first.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Was the truck previously tuned? I delete emissions codes and block the Mil all the time. Someone could have also just knocked the cluster light out and soldered a resister in its place so it thinks its there.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Someone de-soldered & remove an LED from a cluster on a vehicle I worked on once. Kind of the same situation as yours, "Why isn't the CE Light working?".

Rather than take the time to repair the 'real' problem, some former owner went to the effort & desoldered and removed the LED. I ended up taking an inexpensive LED bulb assembly which had several surface-mount LED's on it, harvesting one of the LED's (after calculating it would work), transferred it over to the vehicle cluster IC board. Worked great, problem solved, didn't take that long. Then we got the 'real' problem causing the CEL fixed ...and the owner was happy.

You're next step is to probably pull the cluster and inspect if the LED is still there. There's videos on Y/T how to remove, disassemble the cluster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

McTrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Was the truck previously tuned? I delete emissions codes and block the Mil all the time. Someone could have also just knocked the cluster light out and soldered a resister in its place so it thinks its there.
Truck is stock. All emissions are intact. DPF and EGR are there and appear to be unaltered. The truck was initially sold in Canada and imported to the US in 2018. I believe the dealer who imported the truck changed out the Canada spec(kph) cluster for a US(mph) cluster. Might have effed with it then. Gonna have to pull the cluster like Jeepwalker says.

I had some one speak up on the AlfaOBD FB page that HP tuners could delete the Light.

Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
M

McTrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Someone de-soldered & remove an LED from a cluster on a vehicle I worked on once. Kind of the same situation as yours, "Why isn't the CE Light working?".

Rather than take the time to repair the 'real' problem, some former owner went to the effort & desoldered and removed the LED. I ended up taking an inexpensive LED bulb assembly which had several surface-mount LED's on it, harvesting one of the LED's (after calculating it would work), transferred it over to the vehicle cluster IC board. Worked great, problem solved, didn't take that long. Then we got the 'real' problem causing the CEL fixed ...and the owner was happy.

You're next step is to probably pull the cluster and inspect if the LED is still there. There's videos on Y/T how to remove, disassemble the cluster.

Probably have to pull the cluster next. Could HP tuner be capable of deleting the CEL

OP
OP
M

McTrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I pulled the cluster today and found some construction paper shoved down the light housing. They had black tape taped to the back side of the MIL emblem too. Thanks for the input.