First 4x4: 4WD Stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobbytomorow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased a 2004 Dodge RAM 1500 a few months back. This is my first pick-up and first 4x4 vehicle. I've only ever owned cars prior. I bought this because I have recently moved from a city to buy my first home in a more rural region with more snow etc..More or less wanted this as a winter vehicle and to do hauling tasks (firewood, dump runs, pick up home reno material etc)

This model has the 4WD selector knob on the dash with 2WD, 4 Hi and 4 Lo.

Everything worked well until my wife (I know) took it for her first time up to a mountain for skiing. She claims she got stuck and the 4WD function simply wouldn't work. She had to get pulled out and was able to drive it home. She more or less got stuck in the snow in 2WD then panicked and I'm not sure exactly what she did. She claims she just switched to 4WD and it wouldn't work.

Now I have the the truck at home and sure enough the 4WD does not work. I drove it to a gravel lot to confirm and no power goes to the front wheels when in 4WD.

What happens when engaging 4WD (High and low):
- orange light comes on and stays on as though nothing is wrong
- no power goes to front wheels
- can hear a clicking sort of sound from front axle area when I apply power
- also notice that when in 2WD driving down the road I can hear intermittent clicking sound from the front axle area (like keys jingling in a can) even when in 2WD. The sound will stop if I make a hard turn and it will come back again when I make another turn.
- no codes on dash from ODB scanner

I am mechanically inclined but have only ever worked on cars. I am not sure where to start diagnosing, what I should check first etc...

Any help to get me going appreciated.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea the acuator on the tcase fails all of the time if not used often i put my truck into 4wd every once in a while just to keep it moving also check all fuses .

OP
OP
bobbytomorow

bobbytomorow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea the acuator on the tcase fails all of the time if not used often i put my truck into 4wd every once in a while just to keep it moving also check all fuses .
I will definitely check the actuator. Any tips on how to test it once removed? Also would it make that jingling sound if it failed?

OP
OP
bobbytomorow

bobbytomorow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could not for the life of me locate an actuator on the front axle...do ALL 3rd gen RAM's have this? I did however have my wife turn the 4WD selector on the dash and went under to take a listen and followed the sound to the transfer case and found an actuator on that. When the knob gets turned I can hear the actuator engaging (or trying to).

Could this be the culprit and I should remove it or am I still just not seeing the actuator on the front axle?

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I could not for the life of me locate an actuator on the front axle...do ALL 3rd gen RAM's have this? I did however have my wife turn the 4WD selector on the dash and went under to take a listen and followed the sound to the transfer case and found an actuator on that. When the knob gets turned I can hear the actuator engaging (or trying to).

Could this be the culprit and I should remove it or am I still just not seeing the actuator on the front axle?
Yes,it's the actuator on the transfer case

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Find a service manual that can help identifying parts and locations ,chiltons is better then Haynes but not a lot .

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For sure an actuator, welcome to the Ram Forum, and are you a hockey player, I follow our American team, Buffalo Sabre's.

OP
OP
bobbytomorow

bobbytomorow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wanted to update. After some troubleshooting the culprit turned out to be stripped splines on both the intermediate axle and CV axle on the drivers side front.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just wanted to update. After some troubleshooting the culprit turned out to be stripped splines on both the intermediate axle and CV axle on the drivers side front.
How....??? Snap a shaft at high tq sure, strip the splines? That's a new one. To me at least.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure it's not the passenger side, stub shaft and CV axle?