5.2 Magnum Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard1996

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Hello, thanks for letting me join. Here is my story. I have a 1996 Ram 1500, 5.2 magnum, 5 speed trans.

I am in the middle of a full rebuild including stroker to 390.

I currently have the hughes/edelbroke FI air gap. I am planning on filling the injector holes for the Holley ****** set up for fuel

I am looking for advice on heads and intake. I'm getting a bunch of different answers. The engine building shop has little to no experience on the magnum blocks.

I want to put trick flow heads on the build, but now people are telling me I need to drill out the manifold to fit the heads. Would it be better to just buy and install a LA block 4 barrel intake and not have to worry about machine work on the intake.

Thanks for and advice

jo3gee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Magnum Stroker
If you don’t want mpi, then I’d sell the hughes and buy an LA intake. You’ll probably make money in the process. Assuming the heads are drilled for both LA and magnum.

I’m not understanding why you want to convert a magnum block to LA style?

OP
OP
R

Richard1996

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I really didn't want the hassle of tuning the ecm. I live in Northern Canada and nobody around here does anything with the ecm stuff, so i was told for the ease of getting things fixed to use the Holley ****** instead. All i am converting is the intake manifold and heads, im using the original block for this build

jo3gee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Magnum Stroker
I really didn't want the hassle of tuning the ecm. I live in Northern Canada and nobody around here does anything with the ecm stuff, so i was told for the ease of getting things fixed to use the Holley ****** instead. All i am converting is the intake manifold and heads, im using the original block for this build

Alright, well then you’ll need heads drilled for both magnum and LA intake manifolds, then an LA intake manifold, rebuild your fuel system to the psi requirements of the ******, add an ignition system, and remove the stock computer, rewire the fuse box, particularly the auto shutdown relay. That list should get you started for the big items.

If you change your mind, you could build it as a magnum, and get the pcm updated by a company like b&g performance. That’s what i did and it was no hassle at all. No need to change your wiring, ignition, or fuel setup.

OP
OP
R

Richard1996

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I was thinking on Trick flow heads with a dual plane manifold. The box is off the truck, i haven't driven it for 10 years just starting the rebuild to have a little fun truck. I don't trust sending the ecm stateside as i live in a small community in Northern canada and we only get our mail once a week so it would be most likely 6 months before i get the ecm back. I'm worried that once everything is done and the ecm isn't right after getting programmed then i would have to send back again. Just saying that sending stuff stateside isn't always the best choice. Thanks for the advice

jo3gee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Magnum Stroker
Nothing wrong with that, a great project either way. Have fun building it [emoji106]

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, thanks for letting me join. Here is my story. I have a 1996 Ram 1500, 5.2 magnum, 5 speed trans.

I currently have the hughes/edelbroke FI air gap. I am planning on filling the injector holes for the Holley ****** set up for fuel

I am looking for advice on heads and intake. I'm getting a bunch of different answers. The engine building shop has little to no experience on the magnum blocks.

I want to put trick flow heads on the build, but now people are telling me I need to drill out the manifold to fit the heads. Would it be better to just buy and install a LA block 4 barrel intake and not have to worry about machine work on the intake.

Thanks for and advice
You can get a intake that fits both magnum or la and you are going to want the magnum roller setup so that's the road you get la flat tappit or magnum roller except in like 89 or 90 magnum flat tappit was made good luck finding one

merlinx6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks for and advice
if you want to sell theintake let me know.i'm trying to find [email protected] you

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always like trick flow heads on my SBF motors. Edelbrock was another favorite. I really liked their fuel injection set ups.