5.7 rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, I'm about to have my 2012 ram 5.7 rebuilt, I'm going all forged and higher performance in any level I can, it's a daily driver, I plan to have it till the wheels fall off I'm looking for the best place to have the engine sent off and rebuilt, I need to know exactly what to tell them exactly what it is I want done to my engine , I'm upgrading to headers and dual exhaust, rear ends are being upgraded to handle the power, I believe the transmission should be ok like it is, any advice will be appreciated

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi all, I'm about to have my 2012 ram 5.7 rebuilt, I'm going all forged and higher performance in any level I can, it's a daily driver, I plan to have it till the wheels fall off I'm looking for the best place to have the engine sent off and rebuilt, I need to know exactly what to tell them exactly what it is I want done to my engine , I'm upgrading to headers and dual exhaust, rear ends are being upgraded to handle the power, I believe the transmission should be ok like it is, any advice will be appreciated
Since your a 2012 I'd be upgrading that trans as it's a major weak link in those earlier 4 gen year models... as far as going forged I'm sure others will chime in... but if it goes to a machine shop local to you you'll want it bored out...decked ..hot tanked ... if doing something through high horse performance...its a step by step guide on what you want to spend,forged crank,arp bolt options,o ring the block and so forth..depending on your end goal.
But id strongly suggest upgrading that transmisson at the same time or your wasting your time.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Octane

Reaction score
Since your a 2012 I'd be upgrading that trans as it's a major weak link in those earlier 4 gen year models... as far as going forged I'm sure others will chime in... but if it goes to a machine shop local to you you'll want it bored out...decked ..hot tanked ... if doing something through high horse performance...its a step by step guide on what you want to spend,forged crank,arp bolt options,o ring the block and so forth..depending on your end goal.
But id strongly suggest upgrading that transmisson at the same time or your wasting your time.

Every engine I ever went higher perf. with and didnt redo the tranny I ripped them out afterward, and then had to rebuild them. Of course they were higher mileage trannys tho.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Out of my curiosity, how exactly does upgrade his transmission? I figure the OP has 65RFE. Besides new valve body, what kits are available?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Why not start with a brand new 6.4 and do a MMX drop-in piston/rod kit,you can do that yourself if you have any mechanical abilities. I'd also look into swapping your tranny out for something a little more robust,like a GM Turbo 400/ 4L80 /6L80 etc.,you can even retro-fit the 8HP70 into the older trucks .As stated your transmission is your weak link.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4th-gen-ram-gm-transmission-4l80e-swap.112665/

OP
OP
K

Kenny Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Transmission upgrade too huh so while shopping for a ride for my little girl, I came upon something marvelous, oh it was a glorious sight to see, a rocky ridge 2500 ram I'm probably going to get it because I can't stop thinking about it, I just wish the 2500 had a 6.7 Cummins, I'm still doing the work to this truck just little slower,

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Transmission upgrade too huh so while shopping for a ride for my little girl, I came upon something marvelous, oh it was a glorious sight to see, a rocky ridge 2500 ram I'm probably going to get it because I can't stop thinking about it, I just wish the 2500 had a 6.7 Cummins, I'm still doing the work to this truck just little slower,
Personally if I was getting a 2500 gasser itd have to be a newer one with the 8spd.. not the 68rfe which is what I believe would be in that... if it's a 5.7 itll be a pig ...6.4 still a pig but outta the 2 I'd go 6 4..goodluck