5.7 swap to 6.1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dcwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m pretty sure there are threads on this topic already but need help. I have a 2004 4x4 with 5.7 with 250,*** miles. Starting to get blow by in the cylinders, oil residue on the air cleaner. Since I’m going to eventually put an engine in my truck, what are the main things to swap in a 6.1? I’ve read some older posts from like 2 years ago about this but as far as mounts and all, that’s all pretty much the same. What accessories, sensors, and wiring needs to be updated?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, that all depends on how much of the 6.1 you are insistent on using and how fat your wallet is.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m pretty sure there are threads on this topic already but need help. I have a 2004 4x4 with 5.7 with 250,*** miles. Starting to get blow by in the cylinders, oil residue on the air cleaner. Since I’m going to eventually put an engine in my truck, what are the main things to swap in a 6.1? I’ve read some older posts from like 2 years ago about this but as far as mounts and all, that’s all pretty much the same. What accessories, sensors, and wiring needs to be updated?

Well, that all depends on how much of the 6.1 you are insistent on using and how fat your wallet is.

Ok so insomnia set in and I got bored. So, first question is do you have a line on one or have you researched how much it's gonna be to get one? Because they stopped making them at the end of 2010 and they were rarer engines during production than the millions upon millions of 5.7's that made their way out the door. They're not cheap, long or short block.
Next question, how much of this were you intending to use, which goes hand and hand with how much power were you looking to get out of it? Just a little bit more, or ALOT more, enough to start giving your RFE fits and eventually break it?
There are a few ways this can work. Essentially a 6.1 is just a much better built 5.7 with bigger bores, better heads, longevity tweaks BUT....designed for cars.
Easiest method (also cheapest) - Get the short block, use stock style 5.7 heads, use your front timing cover so all your accessories bolt up and since you're using stock style 5.7 heads the intake manifold will bolt right back on. Also need your stock oil pan and dipstick, car version won't work in a truck. Get a different cam, as the 6.1 cam is terrible for a truck. Now you need custom tuning (by the way, the minute you wanted to increase displacement custom tuning was pretty much a given, also depending on which cylinder head you use EGR may need to be written out of the tune so you don't get a CEL). This type of swap has been done many times, everything bolts in like factory and you get a displacement increase with a stronger bottom end. Indy cylinder head offers an engine just like this (but carb'd) that is good for 400hp with stock 6.1 cam. You'd get better results with a cam better matched to a heavier vehicle. By the way, this engine from them is about $8000: http://www.indyheads.com/6.1hemiengines.html

Harder method (also more expensive) - you insist on using the entire long block (with 6.1 heads). Yes, the 6.1 heads are better heads and will net better power IF you can properly take advantage of them. This means an exhaust system that matches (port differences both intake and exhaust between early 5.7 and 6.1 heads) and intake manifold. You can use your stock 5.7 manifold, but 1) you need spacers to make it fit correctly (aforementioned port mismatch) and 2) that intake manifold will be your choke point and those heads won't really do you any good. You could use the 6.1 manifold, but that requires either modifying the front timing cover to move the alternator and A/C compressor out of the way for clearance and switching to an electric fan (no room for clutch fan anymore) or converting your accessory drive to the car version, which will require all kinds of harness lengthening, custom hoses for the A/C system, notching the frame for clearance, changing the cooling system, etc. As I mentioned earlier, EGR may be a factor. 04 1500 5.7 has EGR; 6.1 does not.

Best method (and cheapest/most cost effective) - take your stock 5.7 block and get it stroked out to a 392. May actually be cheaper than trying to get a 6.1 to work in your truck and will net better results. Even with the stock style heads (could always P&P and add bigger valves) you'll make more power in a better way (6.1 is a big bore somewhat short stroke engine designed to rev, stroked 5.7 out to 392 has smaller bores but much more torque producing stroke on top of more displacement) with a completely forged bottom end. On top of that, everything will bolt up like factory, accessories, intake, etc, though better exhaust would be a good idea. Once it's all back together you could tell people it's a stock 5.7 and depending on what type of cam and exhaust you have they might actually believe you lol.

Downside of any of these plans is the fact that the 545RFE (your transmission) is ok as long as you leave the engine itself stock. You start putting any real power improvements and things can go to hell rather quickly. Plus the RFE is a power sucker, it's amazing how much power you lose from the crank to the wheels.

Any questions lol?

OP
OP
Dcwhite

Dcwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So either a 6.1 short block or a stroked 5.7 would be my best bet. Now if I go with a stroked 5.7, what’s a good cam to run. This truck is my daily/play toy. And as far as transmission goes, what’s a good one to replace my stock one with?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So either a 6.1 short block or a stroked 5.7 would be my best bet. Now if I go with a stroked 5.7, what’s a good cam to run. This truck is my daily/play toy. And as far as transmission goes, what’s a good one to replace my stock one with?

Cam selection you need to talk to a supplier/tuner like Inertia, HHP, etc. They can match cam selection to your combo and intended use. Transmission, well that's a whole other can of worms that directly depends on your skill level and wallet-ibility.

OP
OP
Dcwhite

Dcwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate all the help. I’m more of a GM guy, so not quite sure bout Hemi’s. I love my truck though. So I’m thinking a stroked 5.7, p&p heads, good cam, intake and headers. Should be a pretty good setup.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I appreciate all the help. I’m more of a GM guy, so not quite sure bout Hemi’s. I love my truck though. So I’m thinking a stroked 5.7, p&p heads, good cam, intake and headers. Should be a pretty good setup.

To put things in perspective, there is an 05 quad cab running with a 392 stroker, big valve 1st gen heads, matched cam, original intake manifold & still using an RFE trans. Runs mid to low 12's all motor, bout 12 flat on nitrous. Original 5.7 (running high 12's all motor, mid 12's on nitrous) made it to 256,000 miles before needing a rebuild.

OP
OP
Dcwhite

Dcwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not bad specs. Really not looking to race. Would like torque when I go muddin. Not really picky on mpg since I already get 12mpg now. Would like for it to sound healthy. Think I’ll go with the punched out 5.7 and p&p the heads with bigger valves. Also, what size injectors would be needed? Stock or just above stock?

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did something similar to my last car, an 08 Charger R/T.

I re-used the 5.7 short block and rebuilt/stroked to 392. Put a ported 6.1 manifold with 5.7 “Eagle” heads on it. You can also use the “Eagle” heads, commonly used on 09 and up Dodge LX models (Charger, Challenger, 300C also Grand Cherokee’s and Jeep Commanders) and the 4th Gen Rams from 09 and up. They flow as good or better than 6.1 heads, should be easier to get and cost about the same. They will bolt right up to you 5.7 block and port match to the 6.1 intake. The 5.7 “Eagle” heads are just a re-worked 6.1 head.

And since you’re using your original block, all your accessories will bolt right up or be replaced easily.

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not bad specs. Really not looking to race. Would like torque when I go muddin. Not really picky on mpg since I already get 12mpg now. Would like for it to sound healthy. Think I’ll go with the punched out 5.7 and p&p the heads with bigger valves. Also, what size injectors would be needed? Stock or just above stock?

Definitely larger than stock, I used some 6.1 injectors but I’m pretty sure they were maxed out or real close to it on my build, pushing 500/500 RWHP/TQ to the wheels. You should probably look into a higher flowing in-tank fuel pump while you’re upgrading as well.

OP
OP
Dcwhite

Dcwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about the Edelbrock performer heads?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The 5.7 “Eagle” heads are just a re-worked 6.1 head.

Not exactly lol. Yes they are very similar, but have smaller chambers and taller valves. You left out that he'd need newer valve covers, have to convert the coils over to the newer style and either get the heads machined for less compression ratio or use thicker head gaskets with custom pushrods.

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You’re right, I forgot the other things there. If he’s doing the whole stroker he’s gonna need all that anyway.

Edelbrock is a good option for classic muscle, not for this engine ... especially at the prices they want for the name “Edelbrock.” Stick with HHP, Inertia, etc they do some great work on the 3rd and 4th Gen HEMIs. The Charger, Challenger, 300 and Dodge LX series of Forums will have a vast bit of info and vendors for these mods. I was part of LXforums dot com and ChargerForums dot com and they were a good group (like everyone here), stay away from the forum”Z” as they had a superiority complex and were not very friendly or forthcoming with quality info.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
stay away from the forum”Z” as they had a superiority complex and were not very friendly or forthcoming with quality info.

And full of snowflakes...I've been kicked out of a few of those Z forums because they tend to be mostly populated by thin skinned *******.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Dcwhite

Dcwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you all for the help. It’s given me a good direction to start looking, figuring up budget, and buying stuff

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Figure 6 grand for a stroker motor. I would highly recommend NOT to use stock heads, at bare minimum get them ported or upgrade to new heads 6.1/5.7 eagle. I have stock heads on my 392 and it’s a fairly underwhelming setup. I am currently getting a big valve job done on a set of 09+ 5.7 eagle heads I did my own port/polish on. It will be running 11:1 compression. I will be converting my truck over to a car timing cover and an 09+ 5.7 truck active intake runner intake. As far as I know I’ll be the first to convert to this intake so I’ll have results in a few months. Also converting to an electric fan. I’m running a custom grind inertia cam, it’s a healthy grind and I believe my small heads are killing the power potential. I’m using SRT 4 stage 1 injectors from the old turbo dodge neons, they flow about 58 lbs of fuel at 58 psi. I’m you talk to a cam vendor I’m sure you can get a torque monster cam for a mud truck, probably keep your stock torque convertor, just don’t expect much high end power. 9df8b17ccbbfc1b64aab961ab721c0fa.jpg
8010b6622285545b70ea6732906719ae.jpg
9acab0e1a0b66a7106fe90aea8787adf.jpg

I Bleed Ram Trucks

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Definitely larger than stock, I used some 6.1 injectors but I’m pretty sure they were maxed out or real close to it on my build, pushing 500/500 RWHP/TQ to the wheels. You should probably look into a higher flowing in-tank fuel pump while you’re upgrading as well.

500 wheel hp/tq? That gives me a lot of hope once I get mine completely done. Would you happen to have a dyno graph of that?

I Bleed Ram Trucks

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
What about the Edelbrock performer heads?

The new rpm performer heads look pretty sweet, but they are $2400 and I don’t know if they are built or if you still have to get the valve train. My buddy is using a set on his new 426, I believe he flow tested them at 360 cfm

I Bleed Ram Trucks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
500 wheel hp/tq? That gives me a lot of hope once I get mine completely done. Would you happen to have a dyno graph of that?

I Bleed Ram Trucks
Merry Christmas! He left out he swapped to a different trans to handle the power lol.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Dcwhite

Dcwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve found a used 5.7 for $500 in a single cab. Gonna do the assembly myself. Does FAST make an intake for the 5.7 like they do for the LSX?