5.9 Flywheel Weighted or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have read several posts that state the 5.9 flex plate should have a weight/weights tacked welded on from the factory. As my engine is out for a rebuild, I noticed mine does not have any weights on it. It actually has a series of several holes drilled in it, I guess for balance. No sign of any weights being previously installed. Is it possible the flex plate is from a 5.2? Did not notice any issues with the operation of the truck or motor (other than low compression on 2 cylinders), this is not the original motor, but it is a 5.9 which is what it came factory with.

Edit: Meant to say Flex Plate, not flywheel in the title, but cannot seem to edit it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hero6

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a pic of the flex platethumbnail.jpg

Jeffrey Vian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
REPLACE that flex plate.

The pic shows at least 4 weights as well as the holes you mentioned.

The big problem is that at least one of the bolt holes for the torque converter is broken out. That missing metal will affect the balance as well as not properly holding the plate to the torque converter.

Failing to replace that flex plate may lead to major problems down the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990