5k Miles & DPF Full - Limp Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemispherical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
During the winter my truck probably gets more hours on the clock while warming up in the morning, than it does on my short commute to work. I know that short drives and idling are bad but I didn’t think the newer trucks were more sensitive than they used to be.

This was never a problem with my 2014 Cummins, but my new truck has decided to give me the “DPF Full” error and is stuck in reduced power mode.

So far it has tried to regen twice in its first 5k miles. The first attempt came close to completing but got hung up at the end and no amount of continued driving would change the progress reading. The last regen attempt was a quick message that a regen had started, and within 10 seconds the screen displayed the DPF Full - See Dealer message. And that’s where I’m at today.

Any input on why a regen would fail? I did read a thread here that someone had this same error message and did a long drive to force a regen, but most other threads here say that once the filter is full it won’t regen again. Anyone have knowledge on that?

I’ve tried driving normally for about an hour on the highway and nothing happened. If it will indeed attempt a regen while this message is visible, I’d like to give it a go and maybe drop a gear to get the heat started, as the other member here suggested.

OP
OP
Hemispherical

Hemispherical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Additionally, I do have an appointment with the dealer but I’d like to know if the truck will regen even if this message is displayed. I tow the RV long distances during the warmer months and am a little concerned that this sort of thing might happen while on the road. I never thought I would consider yanking this emissions stuff out but it’s on my mind now.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Alpha OBD can do a forced regen, the dealer can too for that matter.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It the short trips, cold temps and excessive idling causing the DPF to get to the full status and not regening to clean itself. Use the block heater to pre-warm the truck in the winter time, it's not just for helping to start the engine. Unless your towing in the winter, keep the winter front closed up, heat is your friend for the truck to regen. If you really just have to idle the truck to warm it up, use the cruise buttons to raise the idle, diesels don't produce heat unless under load.