6.7 engine air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ran a S&B intake and filter on my 2012, and a K&N drop in on my 2016, and a stock filter on my 2018. There is absolutely zero gain from switching filters other than a lighter wallet. The stock intake and air filter does the job just fine.

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I had thought about going with an S&B on my truck just to hear more of the turbo, but after hearing about some of the potential issues people have had, I decided against it. Sticking with the stock setup. At least for now...

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you want to hear more turbo, remove the baffle inside of the intake tube. I always do it to minimize the risk of the foam around it breaking off and making its way into the turbo. You can definitely hear the turbo after that.

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
If you want to hear more turbo, remove the baffle inside of the intake tube. I always do it to minimize the risk of the foam around it breaking off and making its way into the turbo. You can definitely hear the turbo after that.
I may give that a try. My wife hears it when she is sitting in the passenger seat even with the windows rolled up. I have military-grade tinnitus, so I can only hear it with the windows down.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just returned from a two month / 12,000 + mile road trip w/camper using an OEM air filter. No problems. Am considering experimenting with a KandN reusable filter. Any input from anyone. Yes, I read the replies. Looking for more info.
I am using the Banks air filter & like it. I did notice an increase in power but I can't tell if the filter had that much to do with it as I bought their whole system & installed it all at once. Boost tubes, air intake horn, & filter. Their air filter system is huge! Takes up every bit of real estate in that corner of the engine bay. Gained about 1 mpg but again I am not sure if the air filter did that or the whole system combined. For the money it's not that much of an increase in any category, but I also purchased it to not have to worry about the grid heater bolt falling off into the engine.

NotSoFast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
A service guy at the dealer told me that Wix makes the filters for Mopar.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A service guy at the dealer told me that Wix makes the filters for Mopar.
That depends... maybe on the gassers but not on the diesels. Cummins (Fleetguard) makes the oil filters for the 6.7 Cummins and rebrands them as Mopar.
Racor/Parker used to make the rear fuel filter/water separator and rebrand it as Mopar, but at some point FG started producing that one as well. FG has always made the front fuel filter.

Wix does not, nor have they ever, made fuel or oil filters (rebranded as Mopar) for the Cummins.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
That depends... maybe on the gassers but not on the diesels. Cummins (Fleetguard) makes the oil filters for the 6.7 Cummins and rebrands them as Mopar.
Racor/Parker used to make the rear fuel filter/water separator and rebrand it as Mopar, but at some point FG started producing that one as well. FG has always made the front fuel filter.

Wix does not, nor have they ever, made fuel or oil filters (rebranded as Mopar) for the Cummins.
Fleetguard makes the rear fuel filter branded as Mopar for the 2019+ trucks, Fleetguard also makes the front fuel filter and the one that is branded as Mopar... I have been told no one else meets Cummins requirement for 3 micron nanonet filter media, that is why as long as you have a warranty on 2019+ engines you need to use Fleetguard/Mopar fuel filters...

OP
OP
Tensalmon

Tensalmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
CHANGING TOPIC, since I can't figure out how to start a new one. Driving a 2021, 6.7 turbo. 72,000 miles now with only the air filter problem mentioned above.
After 47 years in the Merchant Marine I am habituated to preventive maintenance programs. I don't see anything about "pop testing" injectors. Anyone know how often injectors need testing? Also seldom see posts on when checking valve play is suggested. Thanks.