Engine knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel Shaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Looking for help on a cold engine noise. Start up after sitting all night with current temp at 41. Truck makes no noise but after about a minute it starts knocking until I rev it up then it goes away. Truck is 2016 2500 6.7 with 158k miles. When I bought the truck didn’t make the noise but the temp in vegas was hot. After getting the truck I took the truck in for oil change and I did the fuel filters and air filter my self. I took the truck to Brian head but before fill up I put a little bit of fuel treatment (sea foam) in the gas. Truck threw a etc code and bogged down 20 minutes before Brian head resort on the steep incline. Pulled over, started going again and truck was fine. Next morning with temps in the 10’s start up was fine but etc code popped up again after starting to drive then was fine. Took truck home looked up the code and I doubt I hit the brake and gas pedal at the same time which I guess can throw that code so I don’t know. I erased the code and haven’t had it throw it since driving around Vegas. What is worrying me is this knock and sometime I get a loud tink tink noise near the gas tank but that is supper intermittent have no idea what that is. I’ve been trying to find info on here but only thing I’ve read of is possibly injectors. Does anyone have any ideas on the noise.
Also first time posting on a forum and first time Cummins owner. Previously had a f350 6.4
Thanks in advance

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I dont hear anything out of the normal, I drove a Cummins for work 10 years and owned a cummins ram as well. They all sound like that.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm no expert but it sounds like a fuel knock usually from bad Injector..

OP
OP
D

Daniel Shaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a test for the injectors to verify or is this an issue a shop will have to deal with? If it is an injector would that be the reason for the etc code? Will there be other symptoms associated such as another noise near the gas tank? Smoke? Oil level increasing? Seems to run strong besides the slow throttle response which seems normal for this truck from what I’ve read. Again thanks for the info

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Could try to use a scanner and do a balance test and check for codes. Some codes may be present but not reporting. It's kinda hard to tell to be honest. One of those I'd have to be there in person with my fancy scanner to see.

MrDazana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that knock you hear is your lifters when you cold start. Use a good oil filter that will prevent the oil from seeping down back into the pan over night. I use a wix filter and Mobile 1 full synthetic. The tick comes back just befor the oil change at 10km so i suspect the seal is worn down by then. (in the oil filter)

OP
OP
D

Daniel Shaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a factory filter and took the truck to firestone for an oil change with it. No idea what crap oil they put in but it’s not synthetic. Maybe I should just change the oil to some name brand.