6.7 engine air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tensalmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Just an FYI regarding engine air filters: I'm new to this forum and new to diesel powered trucks. Regarding our 2021 Ram, 3500 6.7 turbo I've learned from the local Dodge dealer than the check engine light (low boost) (DPF) was due to using 3rd party engine air filters - which I've been using since we bought it new - now 53,000 miles. Switched out to OEM and problem has gone away. So far. Explanation regards difference in "glue strip" between 3rd party and OEM filters. I'll keep the forum posted.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep, use OEM filters only. Well known in the Cummins community.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
All of these filters will work fine on a 2019+, 6.7
Mopar AF53034051AB
Napa Gold 6930
Fram Extra Guard Air Filter CA10261
Fleetguard AF27684 (Same as Wix)
Wix 46930 (Same as Fleetguard)

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just an FYI regarding engine air filters: I'm new to this forum and new to diesel powered trucks. Regarding our 2021 Ram, 3500 6.7 turbo I've learned from the local Dodge dealer than the check engine light (low boost) (DPF) was due to using 3rd party engine air filters - which I've been using since we bought it new - now 53,000 miles. Switched out to OEM and problem has gone away. So far. Explanation regards difference in "glue strip" between 3rd party and OEM filters. I'll keep the forum posted.

Just make sure you get the correct OEM air filter as the air filters for 2007.5 to 2018 are not be used in the 2019-2023 trucks due to changes made to the filters, I found out that some Ram dealers are still not putting in the correct air filter into the 2019-2023 trucks, my local dealer gave me the wrong part number for the air filter last year now that its almost time to change will have to go buy the correct one..

Attachments

• FCA Star Parts Air Filter Info.jpeg
    FCA Star Parts Air Filter Info.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 24

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Just make sure you get the correct OEM air filter as the air filters for 2007.5 to 2018 are not be used in the 2019-2023 trucks due to changes made to the filters, I found out that some Ram dealers are still not putting in the correct air filter into the 2019-2023 trucks, my local dealer gave me the wrong part number for the air filter last year now that its almost time to change will have to go buy the correct one..
68517554AA (white, pre 2019) filter is the wrong filter

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
68517554AA (white, pre 2019) filter is the wrong filter
You are correct 68517554aa is the wrong number for 2019+ trucks, I'm still not happy that a Ram dealer gave me the wrong number for the 2022 air filter, I now have a filter I can't use or return an will have to buy the correct one shortly...

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
You are correct 68517554aa is the wrong number for 2019+ trucks, I'm still not happy that a Ram dealer gave me the wrong number for the 2022 air filter, I now have a filter I can't use or return an will have to buy the correct one shortly...
I hear ya. The good news is it's not that big of a loss.
Use the forum to sell or offer to someone who has a pre-2019.

OP
OP
Tensalmon

Tensalmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
The air filter that I was informed was wrong was a NAPA 6930, which was the 3rd one I put in since purchasing the vehicle. The only thing I can report is that the initial problem is resolved. So far. But we've only about 800 miles since replacing it with an OEM filter.

MTDewX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how did you get the wrong filter? I Only ask because my dealer cant only give me any part without using my VIN. seem like the "new system" of ordering parts (ford is the same) is so micro managed (my opinion) to get anything for your truck. like they are documenting every purchase under your name and truck. seems over kill is all I'm saying.

I do a lot of miles (5 months so far and at 43k miles) and bought the Docs filter due to price, Napa and started to regen more often, I cant even run errends in town with out a regen it seems like.

so I am back with OEM and it appears to be less regens. hard to believe a glue strip and so called coating on the fleets would affect air flow that much for these engines.

what about Banks or S&B that flow more? dont think they help, but I could be wrong Ive never run one. but curious. then it comes down to cost. no need to answer iM still researching. dont want to distract from the OP thread.
all I know is I get a crap ton of bugs in my filter box.

poormarky

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 3500 Limited Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
I have a question and can't find the info on old forums. I have a 2021 Ram 3500SW with the Cummins engine. I would like to put a K&N air filter on but have been told by the dealership, NO, as it will cause engine code failures and possible damage.
Just checking to see if anyone else has changed to the K&N and had any issues.

392heminut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a question and can't find the info on old forums. I have a 2021 Ram 3500SW with the Cummins engine. I would like to put a K&N air filter on but have been told by the dealership, NO, as it will cause engine code failures and possible damage.
Several people have had issues! The Cummins diesels don't get along well with the K&N filters. Stick with a standard paper filter and stay away from the reusable oiled filters.

poormarky

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 3500 Limited Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
OK,Thanks for the reply. I was just looking for better air flow performance when pulling my 5th wheel.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
OK,Thanks for the reply. I was just looking for better air flow performance when pulling my 5th wheel.

The factory air filter is more than capable of handling the air flow requirements of a stock CTD, and even a mildly modified one. Even if you're pulling heavy.

If you're having issues when pulling your fifth wheel with a 2019 CTD, I would suggest having it looked at. A modern, stock, well-running CTD will pull anything you put behind it all day long and love it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Absolutely do Not do that. The stock air filter and system flows more than enough air and filters much better. There is Zero benefit to changing it.

OP
OP
Tensalmon

Tensalmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
The air filter that I was informed was wrong was a NAPA 6930, which was the 3rd one I put in since purchasing the vehicle. The only thing I can report is that the initial problem is resolved. So far. But we've only about 800 miles since replacing it with an OEM filter.
Just returned from a two month / 12,000 + mile road trip w/camper using an OEM air filter. No problems. Am considering experimenting with a KandN reusable filter. Any input from anyone. Yes, I read the replies. Looking for more info.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Diesels like 3 things for a long and happy life. Clean air, clean oil and clean fuel. Carefully research the K&N or any other air filter besides the OEM. Cummins has already researched the OEM one. Last I checked (3 years ago), the K&N did not filter smaller particles as well as the OEM. It also lost its effectiveness faster. Perhaps they have improved in 3 years.

I have 200k+ miles on my 6.7 using all Fleetgard filters with no issues.

Not sure there is any real HP, torque or fuel mileage gain with the K&N so why risk it?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just returned from a two month / 12,000 + mile road trip w/camper using an OEM air filter. No problems. Am considering experimenting with a KandN reusable filter. Any input from anyone. Yes, I read the replies. Looking for more info.
Skip K&N just using Cummins/Fleetguard air filters, btw you gain nothing from K&N and by using one you risk letting in to much fine particles that can damage the turbo, also if you still have factory warranty it's a good reason not to use one, using one can lead to you being denied some warranty coverage....