6" Lift & 35s - Trailer Hitch Drop Size??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jp28173

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wasn't sure whether or not to post this in Towing or Lifted, but figured Lifted was more appropriate as I anticipated some answers in the Towing forum possibly saying to check with the guys who have lifts...

I'm finding conflicting information in various forums and websites so wanted to get some clarification. My 2014 1500 4x4 Express currently has a level kit and 255/75R20 (31.9" diameter) and the receiver is about 18.5" from the ground. This week I'm having the level kit removed, a 6" suspension lift installed, as well as 35s. If my math is correct this will raise the receiver roughly 9" higher than it currently sits at, which would bring it to about 27.5" off the ground.

I'm taking a road trip this weekend to pick up a 22' boat, I'm told the trailer coupler is about 16.5" from the ground to the center of the ball area. Based on the instructions here I would need an 11" drop hitch. Seems like an awful lot. I've seen posts on some forums with folks who have the same or very similar setup (6" lift and 35s) who use 6" or even 8" and reportedly have been perfectly fine. The boat and trailer will probably not weigh more than 3,500 lbs total, if it matters.

My question is for anyone with the same or similar lift and tire setup, who tows, what size drop hitch do you use? I have a 560 mile drive/tow home with the boat, so I want to make sure I get it right. Need something by the end of the week. Thanks in advance as always for all the helpful input the members of this forum provide!

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Here’s my set up:

2011 1500 2wd, 7” lift, 35” tires, 24’ enclosed car trailer which maxs out at 10k.

Went with a Fastway Adjustable Aluminum hitch w/ 2 & 2 5/16 ball. The hitch gives me up to 13 1/4” of drop, though I only need to set it at @ 8” setting.

I‘m very vigilant about weight, ads up quick, wanted something strong with good reputation, and something adjustable so that if I ever find myself needing to tow some else, that I’d have that flexibility. B & M has similar setup which is comparable as well.

Not sure of the drop you will need with the math. If it’s a true 6” lift (settling will occur and varies from manufacture) plus the increase of tire height ( 1/2 of 35-32”) 1.5”…….. I’m coming up with 7.5 optimistically.

Ive not had any issues what so ever, though full disclosure….. I am researching into a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) setup just because I like the added benefits of having one. My threads under Towing for what it’s worth :waytogo:

6291BADC-DFDB-4699-A2D2-83563744DB0B.jpegD05BFDAF-7FFA-451F-9EF3-5D84AA1301D0.jpegB1B7EF00-FD72-494E-AA97-25CDCD82F4B0.jpeg

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Wasn't sure whether or not to post this in Towing or Lifted, but figured Lifted was more appropriate as I anticipated some answers in the Towing forum possibly saying to check with the guys who have lifts...

I'm finding conflicting information in various forums and websites so wanted to get some clarification. My 2014 1500 4x4 Express currently has a level kit and 255/75R20 (31.9" diameter) and the receiver is about 18.5" from the ground. This week I'm having the level kit removed, a 6" suspension lift installed, as well as 35s. If my math is correct this will raise the receiver roughly 9" higher than it currently sits at, which would bring it to about 27.5" off the ground.

I'm taking a road trip this weekend to pick up a 22' boat, I'm told the trailer coupler is about 16.5" from the ground to the center of the ball area. Based on the instructions here I would need an 11" drop hitch. Seems like an awful lot. I've seen posts on some forums with folks who have the same or very similar setup (6" lift and 35s) who use 6" or even 8" and reportedly have been perfectly fine. The boat and trailer will probably not weigh more than 3,500 lbs total, if it matters.

My question is for anyone with the same or similar lift and tire setup, who tows, what size drop hitch do you use? I have a 560 mile drive/tow home with the boat, so I want to make sure I get it right. Need something by the end of the week. Thanks in advance as always for all the helpful input the members of this forum provide!
Unless you can guarantee that you are only ever going to tow this particular boat and trailer set up with your truck do yourself a favor and order an adjustable hitch from Amazon and hope it makes it to you by Friday. I recommend a Weigh safe or Fastway like @Socalramfan has. Good luck! Also, check the towing threads. ;-)

OP
OP
J

jp28173

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot I had this tucked away in my garage I bought to use with an old Tahoe but never ended up using it so it’s brand new. Think this would be sufficient? Clearly not as beefy as some on Amazon but I only plan to tow this boat with the truck for the foreseeable future.

image.jpg

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
It’s very possible. All depends upon the geometry and where the level point is for your Ram and the boat receiver.

Just gonna have to line them up and see how they sit.

I would get locking pins for it though…. sad, but they will walk off

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I forgot I had this tucked away in my garage I bought to use with an old Tahoe but never ended up using it so it’s brand new. Think this would be sufficient? Clearly not as beefy as some on Amazon but I only plan to tow this boat with the truck for the foreseeable future.

View attachment 495829
You'll know when you hook up. If you don't like the setup it should at least be good enough to get you to the nearest Napa/Home Depot/Tractor Supply or similar store to get one that drops more.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ask the dealer to measure to top of boat trailer hitch with trailer level for towing. Then measure down from your truck hitch to the measurement the dealer gave you minus one inch for suspension sag. That will be your drop hitch amount. You are better off having your trailer a little high at the tongue than low. By a little I mean 1” higher than level with level being ideal, esp if a dual axle.