60-70mph, 1800-2000 rpm whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Truck has been whining, kind of sounds like a vacuum leak, when you press the gas slightly to cruise on freeway. It sounds like it’s coming from the engine bay. I was reading about this issue and a guy on another forum said to adjust the shift column while cruising and it will go away. I push down in the shifter column yesterday, just putting the weight of my arm on it and it went away.

the sound is annoying, anyone fixed this?

once I speed up to 75-80 and the rpms get up it seems to go away

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe try tightening up a little on the bolts that secure the steering column under the dash first. If that doesn't work I would loosen up the bolts a little and try a small piece of some kind of rubber insulation or something to maybe cushion the column a little bit. Personally I always try to fix things myself first and use the dealer as a last resort unless its a potentially expensive issue that the warranty will cover.

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I’m out of warranty, and since its something that goes away when I put my hand on the shifter it can’t be anything too bad. I was going to start checking all the linkages between the tranny and the shifter when I get some time.