65rfe 4th gen 6 speed auto xsmn .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember right, before the stall my temp was usually between 130-140*, but like I said I didn't pay much attention. I know I've read the stock coolers are pretty good. I've just made myself paranoid reading those threads, so I worry about the summer. The 3000 stall might have been a little aggressive for a daily driver, but I think once I get used to it I'll like it. It will definitely increase the temps.

Since I got the gears St the same time, I haven't been able to really test it with a WOT run. That and I have to email Jay and HF for shift point refinement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say keep the RFE trans below 180* except for short times when worked. Mine rarely goes above 140* in the summer and 110* in the winter but I do have a MagHytec trans pan. I've seen it as high as 160* but that was while towing my TT through the NH mountains.

Not sure about 2nd prime in the 545RFE/3rd in the 65RFE. For downshifts, I usually do it manually no matter what gear I'm downshifting to just to be safe.

Yeah there's a lot of RFE trans failures out there, but most are due to the OD clutch burning up from full throttled downshifts. Another somewhat common problem is solenoid pack failure which is fairly easy to fix. Don't forget there's a lot of RFE trans out there that have well over 200k.
Did you have clearance issues with the exhaust going with the MagHytec? I haven't purchased one yet for that reason.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you have clearance issues with the exhaust going with the MagHytec? I haven't purchased one yet for that reason.

No clearance issue with stock exhaust for me .
Mag-Hyteck pan P/N 45RFE for my 2014 Ram with the 65RFE 6 speed XSMN .

See my post #1 -#5 here .

http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1351574

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks R.L.K., much appreciated.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I realized that the pan I was thinking of was the larger 68RFE pan, doh. I guess I'll see how temps look and go from there, if I don't have to drop the pan again since I just changed everything then I'd rather not.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're not towing or anything I'd run the stock pan and see what the temps are. You put C+ in so that alone will help with temps

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put Mopar ATF+4 back in. I'm just going to see how it handles the heat and make a decision there. Maybe I have nothing to worry about since I don't tow like you mentioned.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just put Mopar ATF+4 back in. I'm just going to see how it handles the heat and make a decision there. Maybe I have nothing to worry about since I don't tow like you mentioned.

I'd say you'll be fine Sir [emoji106][emoji106]

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ordered some more Redline C+ and 5w30 from @Nick@GotExhaust last night. He has the best prices around for C+ and all other Redline products so if anyone needs some PM him!
Thank you, that's appreciated.

Anyone that needs anything just shoot me a message of what you need, quantity if you know how much you need, if not I can help with that, and your shipping zip code and I will gladly quote you. We USUALLY have it all in stock and read to ship!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I plan to do my final xsmn pan drain and refill with Redline C+ soon this will make 3ea ( initial when I installed the MH Pan +1 about 10k ago and now at about 56k) , I've already purchased the C+ from Nick [emoji106]great price and excellent packaging and fast delivery .
I'll probably do a drain and refill once a year here on out just because it's pretty cheep and super easy with the Mag-Hyteck pan with drain plug . I'll probably drop the pan at 100k to change the filters ...

I'll likely be doing this at the same time as my eng oil change ...going with 7qts of Redline 10W-30 this time and the larger RP filter.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
For reference,

My 66RFE got a deep pan and redline C+. The normal running temps stayed almost the same. The difference was noticed when towing. The temps were MUCH cooler when towing vs using ATF+4.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Corey:
Did you just keep your stock transmission pan and install a B&W drain plug?

If so was it somewhat difficult?
Does the dam thing leak?

Thinking about going this option first instead of spending 260- $300 on a pan right off the get-go.
If I can just drain 8 or 9 quarts of transmission fluid out before every summer and add fresh ATF I feel I’m already ahead of the game.
Then every 30,000 miles drop the pan & change the filters.

I’ve read reviews on the Dorman transmission pans that already have the drain plug installed and the nightmare with most leak from the first install.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Corey:
Did you just keep your stock transmission pan and install a B&W drain plug?

If so was it somewhat difficult?
Does the dam thing leak?

Thinking about going this option first instead of spending 260- $300 on a pan right off the get-go.
If I can just drain 8 or 9 quarts of transmission fluid out before every summer and add fresh ATF I feel I’m already ahead of the game.
Then every 30,000 miles drop the pan in change the filters.
Yes I did put the B&M drain plug in my stock pan. It did leak and it was because it was really hard to get the actual drain plug without spinning the whole assembly which caused it to leak. This is why I just bit the bullet and bought the MagHytec pan. But I think it would work really well if it were welded to the pan. I know my welding skills well enough to know I would screw it up but if you are good at welding or know someone that could weld it, it should work well.

Yeah that's a great idea, you'll flush a lot of the wear metals out just by doing a few drain and fills. Castrol Transmax ATF+4 is a good off the shelf ATF+4 that's relatively cheap for drain and fills...

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well POOP!:poop:
I’ll just go ahead & do the pan.
That way there are no future issues.

Thanks for your post!

I will use possibly the Mopar ATF+4 until the 30K mile mark.
Then make the switch to either RL C+ or Schaeffers All-Trans.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can't remember if I posted this in this thread but Mopar ATF+4 is Pennzoil Platinum ATF+4 so I'd use whichever is cheaper for drain and fills

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
99 percent of the time you pay extra for the Mopar name even though they don't make anything.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
PP ATF+4 is expensive at $48/6 quarts but you can get a 5 quart jug of Mopar ATF+4 for $33 or so. But you can't beat Castrol Transmax ATF+4 at $40/6 quarts.

Castrol Transmax ATF+4
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MISB2Q/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
EDIT: WHY IS THIS GOING TO WALMART.COM?? Search it on Amazon its about $40/case

Mopar ATF+4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HN4GTQK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2PQXAbGHKF8VF

Pennzoil Platinum ATF+4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014GQTC4S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_UQQXAbXM3DDH3

Last edited:
Reactions: SyN