6 Speed tranny fluid flush or change ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012RAMsportHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2012 Hemi 6 speed ( 155k) was at the dealer in January for a water pump replace, and they said the trans needed rebuild, I said do it under my extended warranty. But, alas, since I don't have receipts for the 60K & 105k fluid & filter changes, they would not guarantee approval. Btw, I have a MOPAR warranty till 175k, this I purchased after the ill-fated camshaft/lifter job at 90k. Anyway, I didn't risk the trans not being covered & they wanted $1000 to R+R it for diagnosis. My question is now, should I flush it or do a filter & fluid change or just try some Lubeguard ? I have owned this truck since 2016 & 30k, so have put 125k on it. I drive it hard, occasionally like to slap shift it (console shifter) and usually kick out the ECO mode. She really has not shown any bad shifting or shudder or leaks of any kind. The old myth of not replacing fluid at high mileage has me worried, but what should I do. Also, almost never tow anything except a small utility trailer. The trans temp stays at 190 - 195 F. Suggestions ? Thanks

OP
OP

2012RAMsportHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you get the receipts? If you had it done at a shop I would think they'd be able to get them.
First service was in 2017, the shop tosses paper receipt books after 5 years; owner looked and he doesn't keep computer records either. The 2nd service, a buddy helped me do it, and he bought the fluid & filter. My own fault, I keep multitude of paper records for maintenance on all our vehicles, except this time. She still shifts fine, with a rare clunk from 2nd to 3rd during normal acceleration. I might try the Lubeguard additive.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The entire "don't flush a transmission" or "don't change high mileage trans fluid" because it will make the trans fail is all an old farmer's tale. I've posted this many times but will say it again. This myth is there because of all the people that have never serviced their transmissions in 150k miles and/or wait until the trans starts having issues (slipping, getting hot, etc...) to do the work. They then do the service or flush and a short time later the trans fails. Of course they blame it on the flush and not the fact they beat on the trans for 150k miles with no service or it was already exhibiting issues. Quite frankly the OP is a perfect example of this. A shop has stated the trans needs rebuilt (and hopefully they have some reason to say that) but the OP just wants to do fluid or some magic additive. They will do this and then the trans will fail and they become a member of the "don't flush the transmission" club and conveniently never mention that a shop recommended a rebuild.

There is absolutely zero reason why putting new fluid in a trans somehow magically makes it fail. Same thing as "flush". All it does is replace more of the fluid. It's not like you are powerwashing the inside of the trans or anything, and the pressure used to circulate out the fluid is less than normal operating pressure.

OP
OP

2012RAMsportHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
......... Of course they blame it on the flush and not the fact they beat on the trans for 150k miles with no service or it was already exhibiting issues. Quite frankly the OP is a perfect example of this. A shop has stated the trans needs rebuilt (and hopefully they have some reason to say that) but the OP just wants to do fluid or some magic additive. They will do this and then the trans will fail and they become a member of the "don't flush the transmission" club and conveniently never mention that a shop recommended a rebuild.
WOW, I guess you should re-read my post , it WAS serviced twice with fluid & fliter changes, NOT a flush. But I guess that counts as "beating on the trans for 150K" The dealer thought it could possibly be covered under warranty, But I don't have receipts. I guess you would have dished out a grand to see the diagnosis. Just looking for advice, not a nice story about an old farmer.

sr53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
The 6 speed has two filters that are both inside the pan, change both of them and use ATF+4 fluid with lubeguard in the silver bottle.

17Ramguy78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 6 speed has two filters that are both inside the pan, change both of them and use ATF+4 fluid with lubeguard in the silver bottle.
I plan to do well according to my wife get my trans serviced in my 17 power wagon, to keep warranty intact. It only has 83k miles but I don't like the looks of the fluid. It's not burnt but it isn't bright red either and I also have a revmax trans bypass ordered.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2012 Hemi 6 speed ( 155k) was at the dealer in January for a water pump replace, and they said the trans needed rebuild, I said do it under my extended warranty. But, alas, since I don't have receipts for the 60K & 105k fluid & filter changes, they would not guarantee approval. Btw, I have a MOPAR warranty till 175k, this I purchased after the ill-fated camshaft/lifter job at 90k. Anyway, I didn't risk the trans not being covered & they wanted $1000 to R+R it for diagnosis. My question is now, should I flush it or do a filter & fluid change or just try some Lubeguard ? I have owned this truck since 2016 & 30k, so have put 125k on it. I drive it hard, occasionally like to slap shift it (console shifter) and usually kick out the ECO mode. She really has not shown any bad shifting or shudder or leaks of any kind. The old myth of not replacing fluid at high mileage has me worried, but what should I do. Also, almost never tow anything except a small utility trailer. The trans temp stays at 190 - 195 F. Suggestions ? Thanks
Drain and refill with a new filter. Do it again in 6 months or so. Afterwards, do it once every 2 years. AND!!! Install the thermostat bypass kit on the trans cooler. Avoid adding additives to your transmission. Use specified fluid only.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I woul drop the pan, drain and change filters. Take a bit of care when installing filters. I have read that some have had fall into pan if not put back properly. Haven’t had that issue myself when I did my 11.